Celtics and 76ers deal

I can see the Celtics trying to get our 10th pick to package with their 3rd pick to trade for Butler. They are win now, and would probably rather have a veteran than a rookie at SF. Chicago at 3 would probably draft Jackson or Fox if they were at 3. If C's keep the 3rd pick then they definitely take Jackson. Fultz/Ball/Jackson .. Suns need a SF over a PG but who knows..

I think Fox will fall to us. Start him instantly and keep him in game with Buddy and Bogdan at SF (if he comes over) and maybe Skal at PF and WCS at C. Try to build a core from those players and trade away whatever doesn't work.
Why wouldn't the Celts have just traded #1 for Butler then? I think they're probably keeping the pick and taking Jackson.

Lakers are gonna take Ball when it's all said and done unless they can trade down... I feel pretty confident about that.

1. Fultz
2. Ball
3. Jackson
4. Tatum
5. Fox

Feeling good about those first five at this point.
If it happens I'm gonna say it's a bad pick, and they'll regret it. Showtime will be back but their perimeter defense, comprised of top 2 picks will leave much to be desired and eventually one of Lonzo or D'Angelo will be the odd man out. Josh Jackson at the 2 makes immeasurably more sense IMO.

I still wouldn't mind the Kings picking Smith Jr if Fox gets picked earlier. Only thing I wouldn't really like to see is trading 5 and 10 for a higher pick.
I'm with you... I love dsj. Watching interviews with him vs the other kids in the draft like Jackson, Fox, and Tatum I can see why there's a lot of hesitation though. He doesn't have the outgoing, team friendly personality that Jackson and Fox would bring to the locker room.

He might end of being an all star, but if he is it'll be in the mold of an AI or Westbrook in that he'll be a heavy usage score first point guard that might never win as much as you'd like. He might average 30ppg and still leave a lot to be desired. I'll take the risk on that talent but I get the hesitation. I think he's gonna be a force though.

Another reason boston makes this trade, flexibility. If they draft Fultz, the clock is ticking on the Thomas era, Fultz is the franchise player. Thats just the fact of the matter. Taking Jackson (or Ball if it breaks that way) lets them keep Thomas, keep being competitive, and the extra, likely high, pick gives them another asset to make a move with when they are ready to commit.

They get to keep making deep playoff runs while picking high. If they ever feel close they can make a move to win now, and if not they can just build a team with high picks while still competing. Best of both worlds.

I'm with you... I love dsj. Watching interviews with him vs the other kids in the draft like Jackson, Fox, and Tatum I can see why there's a lot of hesitation though. He doesn't have the outgoing, team friendly personality that Jackson and Fox would bring to the locker room.

He might end of being an all star, but if he is it'll be in the mold of an AI or Westbrook in that he'll be a heavy usage score first point guard that might never win as much as you'd like. He might average 30ppg and still leave a lot to be desired. I'll take the risk on that talent but I get the hesitation. I think he's gonna be a force though.
Out of all the guards in the draft, I think he looks like the player most apt to take-over a game himself. I like a big-swing gamble. Main drawback is he looks more likely to sustain injury with his style of play.

From espn

The Celtics will receive at least one additional first-round pick in the deal, sources told ESPN. Sources say Philadelphia, on top of its No. 3 overall pick, is sending the 2018 first-round ‎pick it owns via the Los Angeles Lakers, which the Sixers acquired from Phoenix at the 2015 trade deadline.

But if that Lakers' pick doesn't fall between No. 2 and No. 5 in the 2018 draft, sources say, Philadelphia will instead send a 2019 first-rounder to Boston that it acquired from the Sacramento Kings.

I would be surprised if there aren't at least 2 future first round picks from Philly in this trade. One future first to move up to get the number one pick and Fultz doesn't seem like enough.

I would almost say that the Kings 5 and 10 this year seems like a better deal than the 3 and one future first to give up the rights to Fultz.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If they really want Jackson or Ball as the fall back it makes more sense, I still think it's a mistake. At least pick Fultz and trade on draft day after the player they want has been acquired.

I would be surprised if there aren't at least 2 future first round picks from Philly in this trade. One future first to move up to get the number one pick and Fultz doesn't seem like enough.

I would almost say that the Kings 5 and 10 this year seems like a better deal than the 3 and one future first to give up the rights to Fultz.
It's not really a better deal. they get pick 3 in this year's draft that is apparently really strong to get the player they liked all along. On top of that, they get pretty much get anothe top 10 pick either next season or the season after. It is a brilliant piece of trading by Boston. They spread out their picks over a number of years to ensure that they are getting lottery picks for the next few years while still contending. Boston is arguably the best placed team to sustain their sucess now. They will have the money to sign a max level player this offseason before extending IT. They get a top 3 pick who can contribute straight away and for the next few years they are getting lottery picks from teams that have been fleeced along the way.

It's a good deal for both teams. The 76ers gets another piece of the puzzle with Fultz, and the Celtics can get the player they want (arguably Josh Jackson) and have acquired up to two more first round picks. Those extra picks could give the celtics the ammo to make a trade for a star. I've seen a deal for Anthony Davis speculated about. I bet Cousins will be happy if that deal happens and he's left on another lottery dwelling team, though I suppose he can always bolt in free agency next year.

It's a good deal for both teams. The 76ers gets another piece of the puzzle with Fultz, and the Celtics can get the player they want (arguably Josh Jackson) and have acquired up to two more first round picks. Those extra picks could give the celtics the ammo to make a trade for a star. I've seen a deal for Anthony Davis speculated about. I bet Cousins will be happy if that deal happens and he's left on another lottery dwelling team, though I suppose he can always bolt in free agency next year.
The thing about Philadelphia here is that none of the players in that top 5 other than Fultz were a great fit for them. Ball is someone who needs to handle the ball to be an impact player. Jackson is yet another forward that can't really shoot. Tatum is a forward and they already have Simmons and Saric taking up most of those minutes. Fox is a PG but again shooting issues do not make him a great fit there.

With Fultz, Philadelphia gets exactly the type of PG that they need. He can score from anywhere, can create for others but can also play off the ball. Absolute jackpot for them. I think next year it will be between Fultz and Tatum for ROY honors. Both are more NBA ready than any other players in this draft pool.

I think that if Boston trades down, it's because they don't want to pick a PG. So, I don't see them picking Ball if LA goes with Jackson. I think they could pick Tatum, or even Isaac at 3. Tatum can be the scorer they need, considering they have very good defenders but they lack firepower to really compete, and it was clear in the last playoffs.

If this deal goes down, I think we improve our chances to get Fox at 5. At least I hope so...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that if Boston trades down, it's because they don't want to pick a PG. So, I don't see them picking Ball if LA goes with Jackson. I think they could pick Tatum, or even Isaac at 3. Tatum can be the scorer they need, considering they have very good defenders but they lack firepower to really compete, and it was clear in the last playoffs.

If this deal goes down, I think we improve our chances to get Fox at 5. At least I hope so...
I've been thinking the same thing. It could be that Boston ranks both Jackson and Ball as high or higher than Fultz so they don't care who falls to three.

But I think it's more likely that Jackson and Tatum top their draft board.

If Tatum and Jackson are selected 2-3, then the Kings will either have Ball, Fox, or their choice of Ball/Fox. If its both Fox and Ball it becomes interesting because Ball's passing and transition-game are intangibles that need to be weighed against Fox defense/quickness/slashing.

The thing about Philadelphia here is that none of the players in that top 5 other than Fultz were a great fit for them. Ball is someone who needs to handle the ball to be an impact player. Jackson is yet another forward that can't really shoot. Tatum is a forward and they already have Simmons and Saric taking up most of those minutes. Fox is a PG but again shooting issues do not make him a great fit there.

With Fultz, Philadelphia gets exactly the type of PG that they need. He can score from anywhere, can create for others but can also play off the ball. Absolute jackpot for them. I think next year it will be between Fultz and Tatum for ROY honors. Both are more NBA ready than any other players in this draft pool.

I was thinking that Tatum is the celtics' plan B. If that's the case, I can see the draft go like this:
Fultz
Jackson
Tatum
Ball
Fox

Either way, the Kings are in a good position to pick someone very good.

If Ball and Fox are both their at 5, I am taking Ball.
Much stronger offensive game.
Fox has me a little worried. If he doesn't improve his shooting stroke.
It would be a nice predicament - although I'm sure the Kings probably by Tuesday will already have their own board set and ready. The other interesting thing, is if one of the other teams say Magic or Timberwolves offer up a nice trade-down for the Kings which could allow them to among other things get their 1st round selection back or maybe a 2nd rounder for 2019. Or they could pick up a good veteran. I've said in at least a dozen posts, I really like Juwan Evans:

.... even draft him in addition to Fox or Ball perhaps with the 2nd rounder and a trade. I also like Smith Jr. Would not be opposed to trading down to pick up Smith Jr.
It is a much more exciting draft albeit more difficult for the Kings with 2 players in top 10. From last year, we know Vlade and company are not afraid to trade down. Doesn't mean it will happen, but it could.

I have said before, what worries me is that the 3rd is used to pick up Butler. In that scenario (3rd + future 1st rder via LA/BRKN/SAC for Butler ) the Bulls would be entering a rebuild, which puts almost anyone in play for them at the 3rd pick.

Some have mentioned BOS targeting PG but it was just announced he has told IND he plans to leave after this coming season and prefers the Lakers.

If the Lakers now know for sure they are getting PG one way or the other, what is their best option at 2?

This BOS / PHI trade could shake up the whole draft. Crazyiness incoming.

They can't trade with Chicago until after free agency though or else it kills their chance to sign Hayward or Griffin. And, given the risk they sign neither player and ultimately do not consummate a deal with Chicago, I would expect they go with the better current fit in Jackson. Keep in mind that Jackson could play the 2, and Bradley is going to be a free agent next year.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Paul George just came out and said he wants to play in his home city of LA when his contract is up in a year. I think this is another part in the Lakers drafting Ball and not Jackson. Ball is a lock at 2, Jackson is a lock at 3, Isaac or Tatum go at 4 and Fox is a King

By the way, the Bulls have told both Wade and Butler they are going nowhere. If anything, Boston trades down to 4 or 5.....maybe 6.

Paul George just came out and said he wants to play in his home city of LA when his contract is up in a year. I think this is another part in the Lakers drafting Ball and not Jackson. Ball is a lock at 2, Jackson is a lock at 3, Isaac or Tatum go at 4 and Fox is a King

By the way, the Bulls have told both Wade and Butler they are going nowhere. If anything, Boston trades down to 4 or 5.....maybe 6.
I think Paul George takes josh Jackson out of the running for the lakers too. Lakers will take Ball at 2

1) Fultz
2) Ball
3) Jackson
4) Issac or Tatum
5) Fox or Tatum - Kings

I'm not so sure that Fox is the sure fire pick at 5 as some people may think.

Last edited:
If reports of philly needing just one future 1st rounder to move up to #1 is true, then that sets the market low to trade up.

The Kings may be able to move up to #7 with the #10, KK and a pekovic salary dump.

If the Kings can get Fox and Tatum in this draft, it would be a dream. :)

Last edited:
I think Paul George takes josh Jackson out of the running for the lakers too. Lakers will take Ball at 2

1) Fultz
2) Ball
3) Jackson
4) Issac or Tatum
5) Fox or Tatum - Kings

I'm not so sure that Fox is the sure fire pick at 5 as some people may think.
This is exactly how I see it. I have the Suns taking Tatum but best case is they go Isaac leaving Vlade a choice between Fox and Tatum. If there was no noise about the Kings loving Fox I'd bet Tatum would be there guy in that scenario.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Red Alert.....Phx is thought to be trying to get involved in a 3 way deal involving Paul George, other teams being Lakers and Ind. The pick at 4 would not be involved but the contracts of Knight or Bledsoe would be on table.

If that goes down involving Bledsoe, seems like Fox goes 4......although Fox has refused to work out for them

Red Alert.....Phx is thought to be trying to get involved in a 3 way deal involving Paul George, other teams being Lakers and Ind. The pick at 4 would not be involved but the contracts of Knight or Bledsoe would be on table.

If that goes down involving Bledsoe, seems like Fox goes 4......although Fox has refused to work out for them
The Kings missing Fox would not necessarily mean a poor draft.....and they can always try to resign Collison and/or Lawson at least.
There are several excellent looking PGs - I'm not sure that Fox will even be the best PG from this draft 5 years from now, but I'd love if they do draft him. The Kings are in an enviable position - several picks in a fairly strong looking draft.

Nightmare scenario if it happens.. I'll be pissed.

Everything I am reading links Boston Tatum, not JJ. Supposedly Ainge likens him to Paul Pierce.

Also, Ramona Shelburn tweeted either PHX or Kings promised Jackson, and I tend to think it's PHX. She is also reporting Lakers wont move "good young assets" to get PG. Makes sense since PG killed his trade value with any team that isnt the Lakers.

Unless LA takes Jackson, it looks to me the draft will go:
1 Fultz
2 Ball
3 Tatum
4 Jackson