Can Cuz be Cuz without being overly-emotional?

I'm surprised this isn't being talked about more than passing mentions in the game thread.
I think it deserves it's own thread, since it addresses Demarcus' future ability in the NBA to be aggressive, while not losing control.

First, you'd need to listen to Demarcus' post-game interview talking about his personal demons and confusion/worry about how he can play well but not be emotional.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/video/cousins-relationship-referees-battling-my-own-demons-right-now
(If anyone can find the direct video link to paste into this post, that'd be great)
Demarcus Cousins said:
"I dunno - I don't know how to be myself anymore.
It's something I'm gonna have to figure out.
It's me battling my own demons - I'm trying to adjust and figure it out."
IIRC, there was more in the postgame comments when they aired it love - this edited out some interesting comments.

He looks completely disheartened in the interview.
He knows how badly he played - he was routinely embarrassed by Millsap for 3 full quarters of the Hawks game.
The way the team battled back and made up ground without him, there was a serious question of whether he would/should be re-inserted in the 4th quarter. He was, and he played well to help the team with the big comeback win.

Anyone who has been watching Demarcus' attitude/behavior carefully over the years, what are your thoughts about whether he can find a way to balance his emotion, and aggression on the court?

I just posted my thoughts on this issue in another thread. Maybe one of the mods could move it here. Seems like a better place for it.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
all I'm really going to say on this topic is that enough is enough, what I mean by that is....stop blaming everyone and everything for your troubles. It's time to check the ego at the door, kick it off to the side and let it die there. The NBA has changed the way they call fouls now, it's a guard driven league and perimeter oriented league. Cousins can only do so much but that doesn't mean he strictly needs to turn into a jumpshooter. He needs to get back to doing the dirty work, hit the glass more, commit to defense more and maybe take less shots if that's what it takes for the team to keep playing cohesively and with continuity. Enough with this dribbling from the top of the key and trying to flail your arms for the foul, there is no reason to do that. You are not a guard, you won't get those calls in your favor on most nights. Enough with feeling sorry for him, he has his own demons to conquer, that is a given. The fact that he is stating so is a revelation...but don't tell me, show me it can be done. He is about to be paid 200 million dollars to be the franchise player at least until the 2019 off season so while he is still here.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm surprised this isn't being talked about more than passing mentions in the game thread.
I think it deserves it's own thread, since it addresses Demarcus' future ability in the NBA to be aggressive, while not losing control.

First, you'd need to listen to Demarcus' post-game interview talking about his personal demons and confusion/worry about how he can play well but not be emotional.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/video/cousins-relationship-referees-battling-my-own-demons-right-now
(If anyone can find the direct video link to paste into this post, that'd be great)

IIRC, there was more in the postgame comments when they aired it love - this edited out some interesting comments.

He looks completely disheartened in the interview.
He knows how badly he played - he was routinely embarrassed by Millsap for 3 full quarters of the Hawks game.
The way the team battled back and made up ground without him, there was a serious question of whether he would/should be re-inserted in the 4th quarter. He was, and he played well to help the team with the big comeback win.

Anyone who has been watching Demarcus' attitude/behavior carefully over the years, what are your thoughts about whether he can find a way to balance his emotion, and aggression on the court?
I mentioned it in the game thread as a possible reason for his early game funk.

That said, DeMarcus has already slain these "demons" if he just remembers his own past. Several seasons ago he got himself in the same position and went a span of something like 25 straight games to close the season without getting 1, until some asshat hit him with one on the second to last day of the season as I recall. I wish I knew what game log database included technical fouls, but I would have said this was 3 years ago, in Malone's first season. Know it wasn't last year. And he was too pissed off during the 3 coaches year, and being tank-benched down the season's stretch.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
That post game interview was sad and disheartening. I really hope Cuz can somehow channel the negative energy that's very clearly effecting him and force it onto his opponents.

It remains to be seen if he can do that though.

I'm tired of him always making everything about himself. The team is playing better the past couple few weeks and is back in the playoff run. Stop being a drama queen and just play the fricking game.

I look at this as a great situation for Boogie to grow. He is a motivated person, and sometimes you have to get lost in order to find the way. He will get through this, and the tough time he is having identifying himself vs. what the NBA wants him to be will help strengthen himself in the long run. He is getting a taste of positive culture and some winning, combined with his personal habits costing him and his team. He has never been in this situation at this point during the season. Keep grinding Boogie! (like he's reading...:p)

I just posted my thoughts on this issue in another thread. Maybe one of the mods could move it here. Seems like a better place for it.
moved post myself :):

So I have been one who has been pretty critical of DMC and I am still open to the right trade.

However, I will go on record saying that I was very impressed by something I saw from him during the Hawks game. He looked like he was doing his very best to contain his emotions and also looked a bit remorseful. It looked liked he might be ready to change his ways so not to hurt his team again.

Since his arrival he has always played with a chip on his shoulder and acted as if the world was against him. He has been identified with the role of the victim and has played angry. I think this is the way he wanted to see himself and believed it would make him a better player. I don't think he wanted to change.

But now he may be realizing that while sometimes that mindset is helpful, it is often detrimental in his case. It looked like he was trying to play without emotion last night and it failed. However, once a realizes the subtle, but big difference between playing with emotion and being controlled emotion he may be able to take his game, and ability to lead a team, to championship form.

I saw hope.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm tired of him always making everything about himself. The team is playing better the past couple few weeks and is back in the playoff run. Stop being a drama queen and just play the fricking game.
with time I imagined things would change...yet I only see it in small spurts before he reverts back to the "me against the world" mindset. Not going to get him anywhere but hey...just my opinion.

gunks

Hall of Famer
As a huge Cuz fan, his moodiness and moping are extremely frustrating to me.

Dude could make such a huge impact in EVERY game for every minute he's on the floor, but a lot of the time he takes himself out of it.

The refs do let him get mugged and call him for a lot of BS, but he needs to rise above it.

I wouldn't mind Joerger or Vlade having his back on some calls though. Get T'd/fined for the big fellas sake. Have Vivek foot the bill. ;)

To answer the question: Cuz doesn't need to suppress his emotions, but he needs to learn to channel that temper better. Get mad? Dont pout.... stuff some fools, dunk on em, drain some shots. Easier said than done, but he can get there.

I remember that was one of the things about Kobe.... if you got that dude mad, he'd drop a 20pt quarter on you. Then again, Kobe was more of a sociopath....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As a huge Cuz fan, his moodiness and moping are extremely frustrating to me.

Dude could make such a huge impact in EVERY game for every minute he's on the floor, but a lot of the time he takes himself out of it.

The refs do let him get mugged and call him for a lot of BS, but he needs to rise above it.

I wouldn't mind Joerger or Vlade having his back on some calls though. Get T'd/fined for the big fellas sake. Have Vivek foot the bill. ;)

To answer the question: Cuz doesn't need to suppress his emotions, but he needs to learn to channel that temper better. Get mad? Dont pout.... stuff some fools, dunk on em, drain some shots. Easier said than done, but he can get there.

I remember that was one of the things about Kobe.... if you got that dude mad, he'd drop a 20pt quarter on you. Then again, Kobe was more of a sociopath....

Kobe was also mad at the other player for having the temerity to interfere with his quest for immortality. Cousins often is mad at the other player, but he heart of his anger is at "the man" -- he has a persecution complex about the refs and the media. Some of which both groups actually prove to be true, but nonetheless 8/10 times Cuz is more upset at the refs for cheating him by not making a call he thinks they should make (or vice versa) than he is at the player who fouled him.

The only way to channel that more effectively is to convince him to go into "I'll show those ****ers and destroy this dude despite their whistles" mode, but he literally has no confidence they won't just foul him to the bench out of spite. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy without an easy answer this far along. "Being himself" means fuming and fighting with the refs, although he does have a point that the zebras have even taken to calling him for Ts for trashtalking and celebrating.

When we discuss this infinitum I simply fall back on hopeful but still rather unsatisfactory signs of maturity. Vivek's remark not long after took the reins that DeMarcus is "a bad ass and fans like that." OK. And as various fans point out he has taken some baby steps last few years controlling emotions on the court. Cuz actually smiles occasionally out there in the heat of battle instead of constant snarling. He seems to want to improve his image with the ones that count the most - ZEBRAS! I can't wait for poise, leadership, total dominate HOF credentials to be DeMarcus Cousin's calling card instead of endless technical fouls, ejections, worst of all losing seasons year after year. OK, bad boy zebra.jpg zebra.jpg zebra.jpg zebra.jpg zebra.jpg zebra.jpg Cuz make this a poster and throw darts at it but at your house not during the game ;)

I may be the only one on this board, but I admit I don't want Cuz to change. I like his agressiveness. I like his hostility. I like it, when things get heated on the floor. Cousins never really crossed the line to real violence. It's all words and pushing and shoving. I realize, that he hurts himself with his temper in todays NBA, but my basketball heros are the Oakleys, Rodmans, Laimbeers or Masons of this world and not guys like Vince Carter or Dwight Howard, who will always wear a big smile on their face no matter if they are losing the game.
Vivek is right - people like bad boys. Therefore I will never understand, why the NBA is on such a wild hunt for political correctness and wants players to behave like model citizens. Who gets hurt, when DMC punches a chair or when he gets in face to face with another player? For me those are just signs, that the dude is really digging into it and is not just out there playing ball and collecting his pay check.
I'm perfectly fine with him getting a T for some things he does on the court. What I don't understand is this stupid 16 technicals limit. A freethrow or a possible ejection is already enough punishment. No need to enforce the "correct behaviour" with this stupid limit.

Cousins is remarkably composed when the team is winning and especially when the Kings actually win a game.
Losing is a different story.

I may be the only one on this board, but I admit I don't want Cuz to change. I like his agressiveness. I like his hostility. I like it, when things get heated on the floor. Cousins never really crossed the line to real violence. It's all words and pushing and shoving. I realize, that he hurts himself with his temper in todays NBA, but my basketball heros are the Oakleys, Rodmans, Laimbeers or Masons of this world and not guys like Vince Carter or Dwight Howard, who will always wear a big smile on their face no matter if they are losing the game.
Vivek is right - people like bad boys. Therefore I will never understand, why the NBA is on such a wild hunt for political correctness and wants players to behave like model citizens. Who gets hurt, when DMC punches a chair or when he gets in face to face with another player? For me those are just signs, that the dude is really digging into it and is not just out there playing ball and collecting his pay check.
I'm perfectly fine with him getting a T for some things he does on the court. What I don't understand is this stupid 16 technicals limit. A freethrow or a possible ejection is already enough punishment. No need to enforce the "correct behaviour" with this stupid limit.
THAT!!!
A 1,000 times +1 !

Basketball is mental warfare, especially for big men. Not everyone is emotionally equipped to really handle it.

The length of the season wears on people. We could make a case for a 60 game season. Football makes it on 16 games. You can see the physical wear and tear on players in the NBA by the amount of braces, neoprene, and injury reports. The mental wear and tear is much harder to assess.