Brandan Wright on the block

If you had asked me before the season which guy I would prefer, Wright would be the easy answer. Now, I am not so sure. Cousins has embraced his inner rim protector. A good post defender (JT) might be the better fit now.

I don't get the FO fascination with trading JT we need his defense. Wright isn't a very good man to man defender. But anyway they will want pick which we have none of so we have no chance.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Why would we choose between Wright or Thompson, if we could have both? Use the exception on Wright, start Wright, bring Thompson off the bench, throw Evans, Williams and Hollins over the side.

The only reservation I would have is that Wright will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. I would not throw any assets at Wright, including the exception, unless you could get him to commit to re-sign.

As much as skill is important, chemistry is just as important. JT won't destroy this team any time soon, so I won't be worried.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If you can acquire Wright for chump change, then do it. My dream scenario is for JT to be our backup center, and also fill in at the PF position off the bench. Wright isn't a bad man defender as long as he's not guarding a center. He's fine against the PF's of the league, and he has the quickness to guard the P&R and still get back to defend his man at the rim. Not saying that Wright is the end all, be all, but it would give us some actual depth up front, and plant Hollins butt firmly on the bench where it belongs.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I would love to have Wright on this team, great athlete and can block shots too. I wouldn't trade him for JT though...I like JT's defense even if he can't do anything else, he lost his free throw shooting stroke and his midrange jumper, whatever he had left of it at least.

You bring in Wright as a compliment to JT, not as a replacement for him. Wright is athletic enough to cover the stretch fours of the NBA while also serving as an adequate rim protector. JT has the size and strength, making him a very good post defender and also an adequate rim protector. With Cousins on the team as the main rim protector, a platoon of Wright and JT is as ideal as you can get without getting Serge Ibaka somehow.

Getting Wright means you have to dump Landry somehow, though.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Why would we choose between Wright or Thompson, if we could have both? Use the exception on Wright, start Wright, bring Thompson off the bench, throw Evans, Williams and Hollins over the side.

It looks like Wright's salary would put us very close to the tax, but not over it. Still, Sham is out of date and HoopsHype's salary pages aren't always 100% accurate, so it's possible that Wright would nudge us over the tax line. Wright for Hollins would seem like a no-brainer from our side, but the Celtics are probably trying to get some value out of him.

The only reservation I would have is that Wright will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. I would not throw any assets at Wright, including the exception, unless you could get him to commit to re-sign.
But that's kind of what I see the exception as useful for - taking a salary flyer on a guy. They only last for a year, and it's not like we're terribly likely to find a better deal for nothing. I don't remember the last exception deal that turned into a steal. I suppose there must have been one, but nothing sticks out in memory. Since the trade exception is use-it-or-lose-it, I would say in this case to use it unless there's an obviously better deal soon to be available. Of course, that depends on the Celtics actually dumping Wright for nothing and our team being able to handle the salary cap implications of absorbing him.

I've wanted Wright since the off-season. I think he fits nicely with both Cousins and JT as he ads some rim protection while still offering some offensive skill as well. Not sure what we have to offer Boston though. Tough to trade for solid players on expiring contracts too as you can't give up much to get them.

It looks like Wright's salary would put us very close to the tax, but not over it. Still, Sham is out of date and HoopsHype's salary pages aren't always 100% accurate, so it's possible that Wright would nudge us over the tax line. Wright for Hollins would seem like a no-brainer from our side, but the Celtics are probably trying to get some value out of him.

But that's kind of what I see the exception as useful for - taking a salary flyer on a guy. They only last for a year, and it's not like we're terribly likely to find a better deal for nothing. I don't remember the last exception deal that turned into a steal. I suppose there must have been one, but nothing sticks out in memory. Since the trade exception is use-it-or-lose-it, I would say in this case to use it unless there's an obviously better deal soon to be available. Of course, that depends on the Celtics actually dumping Wright for nothing and our team being able to handle the salary cap implications of absorbing him.
I don't think Hollins for Wright works under the CBA, but Wright's salary definitely fits into the trade exception. We could probably kick a future second rounder, but its possible that the Celtics could get a better deal.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't think Hollins for Wright works under the CBA, but Wright's salary definitely fits into the trade exception. We could probably kick a future second rounder, but its possible that the Celtics could get a better deal.
So what about this...we trade a second-round pick and absorb Wright into the trade exception. This creates a trade exception for the Celtics. We then trade Hollins to the Celtics (whom they absorb into their new trade exception) in exchange for the second-round pick we just sent them. This works, right?

K

KingMilz

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 48s48 seconds ago

Phoenix is sending Boston the first-round pick that it owns via Minnesota, league source tells Yahoo Sports.
Details
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m2 minutes ago

Phoenix is sending Boston a future draft pick for Brandan Wright, absorbing Wright into an exception, league source tells Yahoo.
Details
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 6m6 minutes ago

Boston is finalizing a trade to send forward Brandan Wright to the Phoenix Suns, league source tells Yahoo Sports.
Read somewhere pick is top 12 protected, great move by the Suns since Plumlee/Len don't have the finishing ability of Brandon. Len/Wright is pretty good shot blocking over 48mins.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Dumping one of the Kings non-enders for an expiring would be a dream scenario. I don't see it happening however. If the Kings were able to dump either JT or Landry that would give this team some space this summer. Without it they have barely over the MLE if they don't have to account for a draft pick. If they do it's slim pickings for the Kings this summer.

Loved Wright for years and have wanted him to get a chance somewhere to start. Excellent defensive player and insanely good around the rim with great efficiency. PHX got a nice player

I would love to get Wright even during the off-season as a FA.

I am not sure how he fits in PHX with Plumlee and Len. Having said that, they probably play him at C with Morris twins.