Brad Miller to the Olympics?!

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2349009

Bryant, James, Wade among those on U.S. roster

By Chris Sheridan
ESPN Insider

Josh Howard, Luke Ridnour, Shane Battier, Rashard Lewis and Brad Miller are among those going to training camp with Team USA. Lamar Odom and Allen Iverson are not.

ESPN.com has learned the identities of the 22 NBA players on the preliminary roster for the U.S. national team, whose director, Jerry Colangelo, will make the news public Sunday.

The list includes All-Stars Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Gilbert Arenas, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce, but it does not include two players -- Iverson and Odom -- who were members of the 2004 U.S. Olympic team and had expressed strong interest in playing again for USA Basketball.

Among those who declined to play were Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Tracy McGrady, Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince.

Colangelo has not revealed all the players he has invited, but sources around the NBA helped ESPN.com compile the following list of players who have been asked to report to training camp in Las Vegas in mid-July, and who are expected to attend.

The entire roster includes Carmelo Anthony, Arenas, Battier, Billups, Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Bryant, Dwight Howard, Josh Howard, James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis, Shawn Marion, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Pierce, Redd, Ridnour, Amare Stoudemire and Wade.
In addition, Shaquille O'Neal has a standing invitation to join.

Three young players will be added to bring the training camp roster up to 25, with Gonzaga's Adam Morrison, Duke's J.J. Redick and Indianapolis high school star Greg Oden currently the leading candidates to get those spots.

The list of invitees includes seven of the NBA's eight leading scorers (Iverson is the exception) and two of the top three rebounders (the exception is Ben Wallace, who was interviewed by Colangelo but did not want to play.)

Billups will attend training camp but is not expected to compete at the 2006 World Championship in Japan because his wife, Piper, is due to give birth to their third child in late July or early August. Also, Redd is not expected to play in Japan, either, because of his wedding plans.

The Americans plan to take 15 players to Japan (including three who would be inactive for the Worlds). By removing Redick, Morrison, Oden, Billups and Redd from the equation, there would be 20 players vying for 12 active roster spots.

Taking an educated guess, Bryant, James, Wade, Bosh and Marion would seem to be virtual locks for Japan, along with Miller (the only true center) and Arenas and Paul (the top two point guards). Brand and Dwight Howard would seem to have the edge for spots 9-10 because of the team's need for size (we're keeping Stoudemire out of that group because he is recovering from knee surgery), which would leave Pierce, Anthony, Battier, Bowen, Josh Howard, Jamison, Johnson, Lewis and Ridnour competing for the final two spots on the active roster. Colangelo has said he would like to include at least one defense-minded role player on the active roster, and it would appear Bowen, Josh Howard and Battier will vie for that role.

Those players who do not go to Japan will remain on the larger national team roster through the 2008 Olympics. If the U.S. team does not win the World Championship, the team will regroup in 2007 for an Olympic qualifying tournament in the Americas zone.

The U.S. team will be coached by Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, who will be assisted by Phoenix Suns head coach Mike D'Antoni, the Portland Trail Blazers' Nate McMillan and Jim Boeheim of Syracuse University.

The World Championship begins Aug. 19, with the Americans in a preliminary round group in Sapporo, Japan, that includes China, Slovenia, Puerto Rico, Italy and Senegal. The U.S. team is planning a pre-tournament trip to South Korea and China to play exhibition games.

Training camp is scheduled to take place July 18-25 before the team takes a five-day break. It will then reconvene for an exhibition game in Las Vegas, likely against Puerto Rico, before the team plane leaves for China on Aug. 4 with 15 players aboard.

Wouldn't this be good because it would have Brad training/playing over the summer? Anyways, I really hope he can go to the olympics. He will be really valuable in international play.

SacTownKid said:
Well he isn't a lock yet. He has to get through training camp. A lot of the guys on that list will be cut.
Firstly, Congrats Brad I know you really wanted this and you Deserved it!!!

Secondly if you look at that list the only actual center is Brad Miller. That leaves Amare, Howard who both play like PF and lastly the HS Stud Oden (if he is invited). So I am pretty confident he will be part of the final 15.

But what I am more afraid of is the chances of him getting injured? It seems like he can barely get through a NBA season. :(

And a final thought what is Brad going to hunt in Japan? :D

SacTownKid said:
...Taking an educated guess, Bryant, James, Wade, Bosh and Marion would seem to be virtual locks for Japan, along with Miller (the only true center) and Arenas and Paul (the top two point guards)...
I'm puzzled, if he's referring to Brad as a true center fit for Princeton, then he's right, otherwise not sure what he meant by that.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
sono said:
I'm puzzled, if he's referring to Brad as a true center fit for Princeton, then he's right, otherwise not sure what he meant by that.
Well if you look at the list, Brad is legitimately the ONLY true center. Only 7'0" guy who's natural position is center regardless of the skill set. Howard is the other really big guy, but he's a 6'11" PF.

In fact in a lot of ways I would think we would almost HAVE to take Brad just as our only experienced big man. And of course for the shooting.

Can somebody explain the idea of a walk-on position for Shaq if he agrees? Does that mean that he'll automatically make it or that he has just made it to the final 25 should he accept?

Bricklayer

acisking said:
Can somebody explain the idea of a walk-on position for Shaq if he agrees? Does that mean that he'll automatically make it or that he has just made it to the final 25 should he accept?
Given Shaq's ego, hard to see him "trying out". Suspect he can just join the team.

I personally think the team is loaded at the 2 and 3...but a little lacking at the center spot (just Brad) and has pgs who shoot more than create (Arenas, Billups to a lesser extent; sort of offsetted by the addition of Paul, potentially Ridnour).

Bricklayer said:
Given Shaq's ego, hard to see him "trying out". Suspect he can just join the team.
I would rather have him walk on though...it'll be a real nice combo to have Shaq (provided he can still play in 4 years) and Brad on the same team with a low post and outside shooting center threat. Plus it'll probably be the last time we'll ever see Kobe/Shaq on the same team again (and who'd want to miss out on that). And although international play tends to be hard on post players (see Duncan) or as suited for physical play, there is nobody in the world outside of the US that can stop Shaq if he gets it going.

Bricklayer

Funny thing is, we used to worry, appropriately so, about the extra wear and tear on our guys as we tried to get a title. Now? Hell, the offseason might start on April 15th for us, and Brad is one of our players who's idea of offseason conditioning is building up his ability to chug beer. So why not?

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
Funny thing is, we used to worry, appropriately so, about the extar wear and tear on our guys as we tried to get a title. Now? Hell, the offseason might start on April 15th for us, and Brad is one of our players who's idea of offseason conditioning is building up his ability to chug beer. So why not?
LOL too funny!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Brad is one of our players who's idea of offseason conditioning is building up his ability to chug beer. So why not?
You forgot the riggors of Bass Fishing, hunting what ever is in season. and rideing quads!

Bricklayer said:
Well if you look at the list, Brad is legitimately the ONLY true center. Only 7'0" guy who's natural position is center regardless of the skill set. Howard is the other really big guy, but he's a 6'11" PF.

In fact in a lot of ways I would think we would almost HAVE to take Brad just as our only experienced big man. And of course for the shooting.
LOL, I'll take that.

Hooray for Brad! I know he wants to go, I think he'll be a very good center for international play and Kings will be represented! YAY! :D