Boogies Shoulder

anyone that had shoulder injuries knows its one of the most unstable joints in the body and once injured usually requires surgery and rehab to get it back up to full strength. Everything Ive read about boogies shoulder suggests that this will eventually need to be addressed, personally boogie is far too great a piece to have out currently whilst we are ingraining our culture change and offensive and defensive sets and this could be (depending on if it persists) tackled towards the end of the season or in the off season.

The only silver lining is in the first option is if we are indeed looking to increase our draft chances but id be against it as this season is all about culture change and setting us up for the future. Heads up though, it could be an option management look into and discuss. Shutting down Demarcus would surely lead to Lins.

Given that this has been a reoccurring issue i would be very very surprised if surgery is not planned within the next 12 months, rehab can assist initially if its a one off injury but given that this has happened a few times to boogie, the tendons which stabilize the shoulder are stretched and its a joint which once damaged multiple times does response effectively to rehab in terms of strengtheing. To put it bluntly the more you dislocate/sub dislocate/pop your shoulder/the less it responds to rehab and the need for surgery increases.

watch this space kings fans. Onwards and upwards.

K

KingMilz

I'm pretty sure it's the same shoulder (someone correct me if i'm wrong) that he hurt early last year against the Pistons when Jason Maxiell hammered him and he played out the entire season after it, honestly if he does need surgery please let it be during the off season the dudes pure entertainment level alone is off the charts.

that was a hard foul which i dont believe lead to any internal damage.

from the bee (http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings/#storylink=cpy)

"Cousins has had shoulder problems in the past with the shoulder coming out of socket during games, as it did last night.

Cousins had no issues with his shoulder last season.

"I think it is something we have to monitor," said Kings coach Michael Malone. "He has to continue to work to strengthen it and maybe prohibit it from happening again. I think he is a little sore, but he is definitely going to go tonight."

Theres no real way to prevent it from happening again as Malone is trying to get at, if the joint is weak the shoulder could pop out going up for a rebound or reacting to the game and throwing a hand out in the passing lanes in the worst case, contact obviously lends a helping hand and given boogies physical play, position and the nature of his opponents, a tweaked shoulder is going to be difficult to strengthen given the nightly rigors of an NBA season with any one game setting him back and worsening his condition potentially. Rehab will get it strong to a point, never to its original condition and considering that its not the first time this has happened, im certain surgery will come at some point to tighten the muscles which boogie has damaged which keep his shoulder in place. Arthroscopic in nature.

"Cousins has had shoulder problems in the past with the shoulder coming out of socket during games, as it did last night.

"I think it is something we have to monitor," said Kings coach Michael Malone. "He has to continue to work to strengthen it and maybe prohibit it from happening again. I think he is a little sore, but he is definitely going to go tonight."

Theres no real way to prevent it from happening again as Malone is trying to get at, if the joint is weak the shoulder could pop out going up for a rebound or reacting to the game and throwing a hand out in the passing lanes in the worst case, contact obviously lends a helping hand and given boogies physical play, position and the nature of his opponents, a tweaked shoulder is going to be difficult to strengthen given the nightly rigors of an NBA season with any one game setting him back and worsening his condition potentially. Rehab will get it strong to a point, never to its original condition and considering that its not the first time this has happened, im certain surgery will come at some point to tighten the muscles which boogie has damaged which keep his shoulder in place. Arthroscopic in nature.
It's a problem for a lot of big men. The hard fouls beneath the basket, the type where you are raising up for a bunny and someone comes down hard on your forearms, are really dangerous for that type of injury.

That said, Cousins is a tough cookie. He's not going to pull a Shaq and get surgery on company time.

If Cuz is the team leader he needs to play through the pain as long as it will not cause any more damage. Set the expectations by example for other players on the team.

Well, as someone's who's seprated his shoulder on numerous occasions, I can tell you that there are other options besides surgery. Physical therapy can strengthen the muscles around the shoulder area and make the bone less prone to popping out. However, the shoulder does become more prone to separation each time it happens since the tendons stretch out. And once the tendons are stretched the only solution is surgery. So far, for me personally I haven't dislocated my shoulder in a while after physical therapy.

That being said,
A) I'm not in the NBA
B) I'm not a doctor

:p

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I am not an orthopedic surgeon but often play one on KingsFans.com.

I spent a lot of time reading about this on the internet. This is not a separation which is a whole different deal. The poster above who used the term separation simply misspoke as what he/she was describing was a dislocation. What we saw on TV or in person concerning Cousins also was not a dislocation although it was a step down from that. A full blown dislocation would have been noticeable by a bump at the top of the arm bone pressing against the skin at shoulder level. We saw nothing. I have seen terms such as subluxation and loose ligaments used to describe what appears to be Cousins' problem. I couldn't find any web site that said that putting off surgery put Cousins at any serious risk. I also could not find any definitive statement as to when surgery should be performed.

From what I saw with Cousins, his injury seemed like no big deal and at this point I think that may be the best way to think of it. If he can have the the top of his arm bone pop out and in and return to playing in a few minutes and better yet, to have him return the next day without major stiffening or pain. we should be encouraged. The surgery that he MIGHT need at some point seems simple and involves no need to cut open the joint but to insert cool little devices and perhaps a mini-camera and tighten up the ligaments and look around to see if anything else needs to be done. The rehab might take a maximum of 6 months. It could be done in the off season as I couldn't find any information that said there would be a rush to get the surgery done. Part of the rehab is to strengthen the shoulder and there is a part of me that wonders what on earth would need to be done to strengthen Cousins' shoulder more than it is.

Then he returns to full functioning. I am far less worried about this than Tyreke's foot and ankle problems.

It would be a total bummer for the team and the organization if Cuz had to end his season prematurely as this season is basically devoted to designing and building a system for the future. Shoulder injuries are unpredictable, though, and there's risk of aggravating the injury and making it worse. Hopefully it's something not too serious and DeMarcus can play for the duration of the season and get this corrected in the off season.

GO KINGS!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It would be a total bummer for the team and the organization if Cuz had to end his season prematurely as this season is basically devoted to designing and building a system for the future. Shoulder injuries are unpredictable, though, and there's risk of aggravating the injury and making it worse. Hopefully it's something not too serious and DeMarcus can play for the duration of the season and get this corrected in the off season.

GO KINGS!
Read my note again. I don't think there is any chance Cousins will aggravate his injury this year and bring this year to a premature halt.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Are you a doctor?