Boogie named to All-NBA Second Team

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Can't say I'm surprised that Boogie is second team. Reminds me of when Joakim Noah was first team over Boogie too. Winning cures all ailments, he has yet to do that so winning therefore is rewarded in the NBA, as it should be. I question putting Draymond on the second team though over Paul George, but that's just me. Winning.

I am surprised, and find it a bit absurd that a player who has to be pulled by his team in crunch time because he is such a poor free-throw shooter gets first team honors. I could have seen Green being bumped to first team center as there was a bit of media push to make it happen... but Jordan over Cousins is o_O

I'm just glad Cousins made any of the All-NBA teams. Just think. If the team was this bad last year, imagine what he could be if they make the playoffs? His talent is forcing the voters to recognize his talents. If his talent is paired with winning, how could he not be named first-team every time they make the playoffs?

As much as I want DeMarcus to be MVP, first team All-NBA, all defensive team and everything else, knowing his personality, this will fuel him even further.

Winning cures all ails.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
With the paradigm being what it is, I would have been genuinely surprised if he'd been anything other than a Second Team selection. I don't have an objection to that; I have rather more of an objection to DeAndre Jordan being voted to the First Team. There couldn't be a more blatant "Well, his team won, and your team didn't, so... scoreboard" move than that. If anything, I expected them to come up with some contrivance that allowed them to vote for Green as a center.

What I think is more noteworthy is the fact that Cousins got more Third Team votes than First Team votes; hell, he got more Third Team votes than Second Team votes. That's... odd.

With the paradigm being what it is, I would have been genuinely surprised if he'd been anything other than a Second Team selection. I don't have an objection to that; I have rather more of an objection to DeAndre Jordan being voted to the First Team. There couldn't be a more blatant "Well, his team won, and your team didn't, so... scoreboard" move than that. If anything, I expected them to come up with some contrivance that allowed them to vote for Green as a center.

What I think is more noteworthy is the fact that Cousins got more Third Team votes than First Team votes; hell, he got more Third Team votes than Second Team votes. That's... odd.
I saw mention of Green getting some votes as center. Maybe those same voters put in DeAndre as second team and Boogie as third. I'll keep an eye out and if I see it mentioned from somewhere credible will link it back in here. I didn't actually do the math on the votes to see if this is plausible for what it's worth.

As Carmichael Dave pointed out, Boogie is the ONLY player on any of the three All-NBA teams to not be in the playoffs this season.

Fair or not, team success has to happen for some of the individual accolades to roll in.
Yep. Look at James Harden--whose team still made the playoffs but massively under achieved, and who went from MVP runner up to off of any of the All-NBA teams.

K

KingMilz

I am surprised, and find it a bit absurd that a player who has to be pulled by his team in crunch time because he is such a poor free-throw shooter gets first team honors. I could have seen Green being bumped to first team center as there was a bit of media push to make it happen... but Jordan over Cousins is o_O
Cousins is not exactly clutch himself at the end of games to be fair.

Despite where the Warriors might play him at times, Green is not a center and shouldn't be considered as such. LeBron James often plays at the 4 and even as a PG at times, but nobody ever votes for him at those positions because they aren't his natural position. Same logic applies here.

With regard to the rosters of all the teams, I'd love to see the 2nd team take on the 1st team in an actual game. That'd be a battle.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yep. Look at James Harden--whose team still made the playoffs but massively under achieved, and who went from MVP runner up to off of any of the All-NBA teams.
which isn't right either BTW, while elevating a glorified 3rd wheel like Klay just because he plays with Steph and Dray.

Nonetheless this was fairly predictable. Fairly ridiculous that Boogie has now been held off first team for 3 straight historical footnotes who will barely be remembered in 20 years, not to mention Al Jefferson 2 years ago. But further progress will have to come via wining. Its blatantly obvious he's the best in the game, and only KAT will be able to possibly challenge that in future years. But we've got to quit being the league's hemorrhoid before the full recognition comes in.

As an aside, you can see the center position caused the voters the most issues. The best guy was on a bad team. Draymond is not truly a center. The elite teams mostly did not have top centers, or like the Spurs had guys you could kinda/sorta call a C maybe if you squinted. So the first team votes went all over the place.

129 first team spots
39 Jordan
32 Cousins
13 Drummond
1 Davis (presumably no way he got first team forward)
2 Horford (remains a joke)
1 Whiteside (tiny but ridiculous cult there)
3 Aldridge (again, no way he got those at forward)
2 P.Gasol (which is just silly)
and then probably 26 of Green's 40 first team came as a C

Give us 15 more wins, and Cousins probably wins 100 of those votes, and entirely closes out the voting for everybody but Green. not the way it should be, but the way it is.

Last edited:
Are there some guidelines posted around here for naming new posts? Just noticed it had been renamed, if I can get a list of rules to follow it will save whoever from needing to change my posts in the future.

My perspective on how to do this is to imagine swapping the players. Imagine Clippers with Cousins, Paul and Blake. I imagine that's a title contender. Now imagine the Kings with Rondo, Gay and DJ. Do they even win 25 games?

S

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Are there some guidelines posted around here for naming new posts? Just noticed it had been renamed, if I can get a list of rules to follow it will save whoever from needing to change my posts in the future.
Don't know, although on major news items like this we do like to be clear so people know what the thread was about (as opposed to somebody starting a thread about how cousins will do with Joerger or something, where any title of their choosing works). What was your original title?

Don't know, although on major news items like this we do like to be clear so people know what the thread was about (as opposed to somebody starting a thread about how cousins will do with Joerger or something, where any title of their choosing works). What was your original title?
"All-NBA Teams Announced".

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I sent him a PM about it, since I'm the one who changed the title.

and then probably 26 of Green's 40 first team came as a C

Give us 15 more wins, and Cousins probably wins 100 of those votes, and entirely closes out the voting for everybody but Green. not the way it should be, but the way it is.
I just broke it down a bit and 37 of Green's 40 1st team votes were as a center. 73 of his 74 2nd team votes were for the forward position and all 9 of the 3rd team votes were also as a forward. His total points for solely the center position are not close to passing Boogie or DeAndre which shows some level of sanity (I think). Green's forward points which equaled 234 also left him securely as a second team forward with no plausible way to knock any of the 1st team guys out or drop to the 3rd team.

Another interesting tidbit is that 15 people who voted for Green as 1st team center voted for Boogie as the 2nd team center, likewise 12 voted for DeAndre as 2nd team center. Slight advantage Boogie!

I really think the NBA did a disservice to the players, fans and voters by giving them the nod about voting for Green as a center. A position he played something around 5 games worth of minutes at.

Points as a center:
DeAndre: 317
Boogie: 277
Green: 188 (Green's forward points: 3(5) + 73(3) + 9(1) = 234)

Congrats Boogie, we'll deserved! We know you should've been 1st team. Don't listen to the haters. We're rooting for you and for even more success this upcoming season!

Cousins is not exactly clutch himself at the end of games to be fair.
And the player that made the 1s team ahead of him is clutch at the end of games? The same guy that opposing coaches choose to routinely foul all throughout the game because he can't be counted on to make many of them??

That surely makes sense.

K

KingMilz

And the player that made the 1s team ahead of him is clutch at the end of games? The same guy that opposing coaches choose to routinely foul all throughout the game because he can't be counted on to make many of them??

That surely makes sense.
Did you read what I quoted? Neither of them are clutch at the end of games is what I was trying to say. The fact is DJ minus Blake still with Cp3/JJ/Jamal lead the Clippers to one of the better records in the NBA which is why he got the nod over Cousins for NBA first team. It's also why in the past the likes of Marc Gasol/Noah finished ahead of him as well. If winning was not taken into account than Cousins would be #1 and Big KAT would probs be #2 this year in terms of C's but you have to take winning into account since it's the reason (other than enjoying the sport) you play in the first place.

Did you read what I quoted? Neither of them are clutch at the end of games is what I was trying to say. The fact is DJ minus Blake still with Cp3/JJ/Jamal lead the Clippers to one of the better records in the NBA which is why he got the nod over Cousins for NBA first team. It's also why in the past the likes of Marc Gasol/Noah finished ahead of him as well. If winning was not taken into account than Cousins would be #1 and Big KAT would probs be #2 this year in terms of C's but you have to take winning into account since it's the reason (other than enjoying the sport) you play in the first place.

My bad, I did look past the quoted part.

And you are right. Boogie and KAT are the 2 best centers in the game right now, unless Anthony Davis also qualifies. If so, Davis obviously still gets the nod over KAT.