Boogie at the Olympics

Brick, with the statistics revealing the opposite, how do you explain the vast majority of people who watch basketball came away from the Olympics with the opinion that Cousins is a defensive liability and an overrated lazy ineffective guy?

It's downright creepy how easily Demarcus is demonized in EVERY group he's in.
He doesn't even have a homer announcer or "reporter" who defends and praises him.
I don't know of one other star in the NBA where that is the case.
I hear you. But Doug Collins, for one, has only good things to say about Cuz.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Brick, with the statistics revealing the opposite, how do you explain the vast majority of people who watch basketball came away from the Olympics with the opinion that Cousins is a defensive liability and an overrated lazy ineffective guy?

It's downright creepy how easily Demarcus is demonized in EVERY group he's in.
He doesn't even have a homer announcer or "reporter" who defends and praises him.
I don't know of one other star in the NBA where that is the case.
At least one of the announcers at the Olympics and I think more than one thought the team should run plays for Boogie because he over matched every other defender. This team was not a team that believed much in passing and I don't know why Coach K let that go on.

At least one of the announcers at the Olympics and I think more than one thought the team should run plays for Boogie because he over matched every other defender. This team was not a team that believed much in passing and I don't know why Coach K let that go on.
Agreed. That and guard play. It continues to be an offense structured around guards and shooters. The big men are afterthoughts or strictly lob targets/defense. Cousins was literally the only big man on the roster who could play down low or be used as a shooter. He was insurance policy against Spain/Gasol brothers, but that was a horrible game for him.

Well that was...something. I think the competition brought out the mediocre in Team USA, barring the last game when it was time to show up. When's pre-season start? Nothing has changed since Boogie reported to Team USA in the best shape of his career. He still has NO post moves yet can dominate with other attributes. Coach K made the logical decision to remove Boogie from the starting line-up to avoid the early foul trouble, but its not like it would have mattered anyway. The whole Olympics was glorified scrimmage against a bunch of lightweights....so any conclusions you are going to draw about Boogie or the team are made within this insignificant context. My only other thought is that it would be nice if Boogie stopped picking up cheap fouls....let the opponent prove they can make the play, they probably won't less than 50/50 of the time.

Well that was...something. I think the competition brought out the mediocre in Team USA, barring the last game when it was time to show up. When's pre-season start? Nothing has changed since Boogie reported to Team USA in the best shape of his career. He still has NO post moves yet can dominate with other attributes. Coach K made the logical decision to remove Boogie from the starting line-up to avoid the early foul trouble, but its not like it would have mattered anyway. The whole Olympics was glorified scrimmage against a bunch of lightweights....so any conclusions you are going to draw about Boogie or the team are made within this insignificant context. My only other thought is that it would be nice if Boogie stopped picking up cheap fouls....let the opponent prove they can make the play, they probably won't less than 50/50 of the time.
Cousins has always had a good spin move in the post. I'm not sure how you think you can get away with saying he has "no" post moves. Not everything is an absolute you know...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So Papagiannis is the only rookie or in Bogdanovis case future Kings player without some public support by Cousins? I remember Boogie making the same "the future is bright comments" about Malachi and Skal, but never saw a glimpse of a comment about Papa. But I admit I don't use social medias. So did I miss something?
And this is why I wish social media had never been invented...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
TeamUSA won but because of Demarcus Cousins they didn't win good enough? Good lord...the lengths to which a couple of posters on this forum will go to avoid anything remotely resembling a positive comment about Boogie astounds me.

I guess I missed the part where there were different levels of gold medals?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Do you have the stats for just the games in the Olympics? Not including the exhibition games.
Nope. Those were pulled off the twitter feed of NBA.com's John Schuhmann.

Per this article we do know he led the team in PER during the Olympics:
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/243165/Cousins-Durant-George-Led-USA-In-Olympics-PER

And in the end I suspect one of the largest gaps between the warmup games and the Olympics was the foul trouble. Per minute he was still very productive.

:) 56 points and no post moves??? Yeah right:p

Pathetic response, brother. I could show you a highlight clip of Jimmer Fredette as legitimate NBA SG....and we know how his career played out. Don't even come at me with this weak stuff. Even though it is TDOS, don't poke a sleeping bear. Cousins is a power player not a post player and there is overwhelming evidence to this fact and those who believe otherwise need to watch NBA hoops another decade or so and then chime in with a more qualified opinion. I know that may come across as harsh but let's open our eyes, Kings fans. There is a reason Boogie got nothing done out of the low block with Team USA and that's because it is not his game. He will destroy a front line without size and strength to match but that's because of his POWER GAME not his post game. C'mon guys, its not that hard. (Unless you listen to and believe what The Bricklayer is selling :p )

Cousins has always had a good spin move in the post. I'm not sure how you think you can get away with saying he has "no" post moves. Not everything is an absolute you know...
He does have a good spin move to the baseline. That's true. I grant you that. But he ends up pinning himself against the baseline and side of the backboard. That is not a high percentage move because the baseline serves as an extra defender.

To me a post move is a half-hook or turnaround jumper or something that does NOT include bullying the player to carve out position. There is NOTHING wrong with the latter if you can execute and get away with it, without being called for an offensive foul, but that is NOT a post move. Thats over-powering the defender on your way to a score. Technically you are not scoring out of the post, you are powering your way to the basket.

And THAT is Boogie's singular mindset when he has his back to the basket 10 feet and in. And you will find NO one else on this board who will make this clear and obvious declaration and yet I am the one who is missing something??? Sorry I don't think so.

Pathetic response, brother. I could show you a highlight clip of Jimmer Fredette as legitimate NBA SG....and we know how his career played out. Don't even come at me with this weak stuff. Even though it is TDOS, don't poke a sleeping bear. Cousins is a power player not a post player and there is overwhelming evidence to this fact and those who believe otherwise need to watch NBA hoops another decade or so and then chime in with a more qualified opinion. I know that may come across as harsh but let's open our eyes, Kings fans. There is a reason Boogie got nothing done out of the low block with Team USA and that's because it is not his game. He will destroy a front line without size and strength to match but that's because of his POWER GAME not his post game. C'mon guys, its not that hard. (Unless you listen to and believe what The Bricklayer is selling :p )
Are you comparing yourself to a bear?:D:D:D

Blob you do not get to define what a post move is.

As far as what Boogie did in the post during the Olympics I think it speaks for itself. He feasted at the free throw line because the only way to defend him was to foul him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
A little education btw.

The great Moses Malone, 3x MVP and one of the all time great "post players":

With a grand total of maybe 3 things that could be called official "post moves" in the whole highlights package. Moses's "post move" was turn and go to the rim, and if the first one rolled off, grab it again and again and again until it went in.

I have not been around here long so still am figuring out the different members. It's hard to tell if Blob is just trolling to get a reaction out of people as he seems to routinely swing for extreme stances that will without a doubt get people riled up. Is that what's going on?

Wait a minute, Blob -
with your weird definition of post moves, do you believe that Shaq had any post moves?
I'm baffled at your definition, and this has him listed as #4 All-Time : http://bleacherreport.com/articles/774205-nba-50-greatest-low-post-players-of-all-time/page/48
To me a post move is a half-hook or turnaround jumper or something that does NOT include bullying the player to carve out position. There is NOTHING wrong with the latter if you can execute and get away with it, without being called for an offensive foul, but that is NOT a post move. Thats over-powering the defender on your way to a score. Technically you are not scoring out of the post, you are powering your way to the basket.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have not been around here long so still am figuring out the different members. It's hard to tell if Blob is just trolling to get a reaction out of people as he seems to routinely swing for extreme stances that will without a doubt get people riled up. Is that what's going on?
While it might be, nobody knows for sure.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
lol

Blob is one of the more entertaining posters. IMO we are all just Kings Fans talking basketball:)

He does have a good spin move to the baseline. That's true. I grant you that. But he ends up pinning himself against the baseline and side of the backboard. That is not a high percentage move because the baseline serves as an extra defender.

And THAT is Boogie's singular mindset when he has his back to the basket 10 feet and in. And you will find NO one else on this board who will make this clear and obvious declaration and yet I am the one who is missing something??? Sorry I don't think so.
I never said he had an array of moves but to say he has no moves is a biased statement that you're using to make your argument look stronger than it is.

When cousins has a weaker defender in the post, let him bully him down low. When cousins has a bigger, stronger defender, let him face up at the elbow and use his quickness. Any other post moves he develops is just gravy.

As for the spin move, I did see something that was new this year during the olynpics that impressed me. He had a counter move if the defender shut down the spin. I saw him spin and realize it wasn't there and he immediately faded back and took an uncontested shot over the defender. I can't recall if it went in, but I remember thinking it was very smooth and a good move that led to a good look.

Now obviously doing it one time doesn't really make a case, but players improve over time and perhaps Cousins is trying to add to his repertoire with some counter moves. We'll see what he's got this season.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Does anyone think that this argument about moves is a bit silly. I understand why someone could say he needs a "go to" move but one thing unique about Boogie is that he can come up with a move for every situation. He is a unique center in the history of the NBA. I like what twslam07 says about him. Those are "moves" that Boogie has but he has much more. Is it a "post move" to get the ball at the three pt line and dribble past your defender to get to the rim? That does not meet the definition of a post move but it is a move that Boogie has that is unique to any center from the past. He already is functioning at a level that compares with the best in the history of the NBA. Bricklayer can pony out the stats to support that. He has had bigger issues (demons) to deal with in his first 6 years.

Perhaps what I am saying is that he has so many moves that no one could pick one out as a go to move. He is unique. He can shoot from distance but better yet he is remarkable from 12-16 ft out. At 16 ft out he can fake a shot and attack the rim occasionally making a shot and more likely drawing a foul. Is drawing a foul a "go to move" or "post move?" Not classically but it is what he does. that earns him a lot of points.

He's doing OK, folks. Perhaps a "go to post" move would make him predictable. That's not good. Carry on, folks. :)

Are you comparing yourself to a bear?:D:D:D

Blob you do not get to define what a post move is.

As far as what Boogie did in the post during the Olympics I think it speaks for itself. He feasted at the free throw line because the only way to defend him was to foul him.
Yes I am comparing myself to a bear. Don't rile up the bear in his period of hibernation, i.e. the one month of the year that NBA goes dark. He may get feisty in his period of recuperation and slumber from another arduous and egregious season. :D

Of course I can define what a post move is. You cannot define what it is I cannot define! :) But I am not taking any inordinate liberty or leeway here. A post move is making a move out of the post. That is not my definition. That's a universal definition! If a player gets the ball in the low block and tries to power his way to the rim, that's a power move, not a post move. And that's what Boogie does every time he gets the ball (edit: ok 90% of the time.)

Boogie is a power player with a dynamic and versatile face-up game. He's not a classic big. This is common knowledge among those in the know. Boogie lacks a conventional post move with high degree of accuracy, a la the sweet kiss off the glass of Tim Duncan, or lefty turn around a la Greg Monroe. Even Drummond is developing a better post game than Boogie with a little half hook with a high release point.

By the way, I think there is a connection between acquisition of Ty Lawson and shortcomings of Boogie with back-to-the basket, but I'll save that analysis for another thread.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yes I am comparing myself to a bear. Don't rile up the bear in his period of hibernation, i.e. the one month of the year that NBA goes dark. He may get feisty in his period of recuperation and slumber from another arduous and egregious season. :D

Of course I can define what a post move is. You cannot define what it is I cannot define! :) But I am not taking any inordinate liberty or leeway here. A post move is making a move out of the post. That is not my definition. That's a universal definition! If a player gets the ball in the low block and tries to power his way to the rim, that's a power move, not a post move. And that's what Boogie does every time he gets the ball (edit: ok 90% of the time.)

Boogie is a power player with a dynamic and versatile face-up game. He's not a classic big. This is common knowledge among those in the know. Boogie lacks a conventional post move with high degree of accuracy, a la the sweet kiss off the glass of Tim Duncan, or lefty turn around a la Greg Monroe. Even Drummond is developing a better post game than Boogie with a little half hook with a high release point.

By the way, I think there is a connection between acquisition of Ty Lawson and shortcomings of Boogie with back-to-the basket, but I'll save that analysis for another thread.
Drummond's big post move is a put-back dunk.