Boogie and that All Star slot

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Jeff Van Gundy says Cousins shouldn't be an All-Star

Harsh words for the best center in the game.
That's more a dumbass philosophical stance than anything else. its also unrealistic as hell in this year especially. The good news is that in that scenario Cousins has no worse a shot than Anthony Davis and Kevin Love

Bricklayer

Interesting that he's got Dirk over Lee
I forget if you have been the Lee guy in this thread? But anyway, I haven't considered Lee much of a threat for months. Dirk is a legend, and he would be the only Mav representative, and they are a winning team. Lee might be his team's what? #3 or #4 most important guy? And he seems to carry some sort of very good but not great stink on him for All Star voters. They didn't want tp put him in last year, but there just weren't any real choices. This year there are. I'm frankly more concerned with some Tim Duncan stupidity, because hey, his team is good, and he used to be too.

Shaq the only one on the TNT crew that put Cousins on his list of reserves. the other guys had players like David Lee, Tim Duncan, Diandre Jordan, Goran Dragic instead of Cuz. shameful

Shaq the only one on the TNT crew that put Cousins on his list of reserves. the other guys had players like David Lee, Tim Duncan, Diandre Jordan, Goran Dragic instead of Cuz. shameful
To be fair, their opinions aren't worth the paper they're written on. They're there for entertainment value, in reality they don't really know much about the NBA except for the main teams. I wouldn't worry about them, they may shape public opinion but they won't (at least I hope not) influence NBA coaches opinions.

I know they don't influence the vote at all. the west is just too stacked. i think its a huge long shot that DMC makes it. if Kobe really does sit out and opens up another spot, that might be his only chance, but even then it will be tough for him to make it over guys who are on playoff teams like David Lee and Nowitzki. or even Anthony Davis because hes the home town guy

Huh, so West starters are: Curry, Bryant, Durant, Griffin, and Love. Kobe being voted in opens an injury spot, I guess, and coaches might leave Paul out if he's not ready/since he's been injured. Since Howard wasn't voted in to start, is he a lock to get a nod from the coaches?

Bricklayer

Huh, so West starters are: Curry, Bryant, Durant, Griffin, and Love. Kobe being voted in opens an injury spot, I guess, and coaches might leave Paul out if he's not ready/since he's been injured. Since Howard wasn't voted in to start, is he a lock to get a nod from the coaches?
Interesting point on that last one -- didn't realize he got outpointed.

Still think its too radical an idea for most coaches to take Cousins and not Howard, but at least he's got a little stink on him.

Of course now once again it just really REALLY sucks that Cuz had to get hurt last night rather than outplaying Dwight for a third straight time.

Cousins v. Howard (not head to head, mind you, but stats comparison): link here.

If only Boogie could stay on the floor a couple more minutes/game. That would all but erase the rebounding difference.

Still think its too radical an idea for most coaches to take Cousins and not Howard, but at least he's got a little stink on him.
Yeah. And I have a hard time seeing the coaches vote in Cousins, Davis, AND Howard all as reserves, but in this case maybe the "frontcourt" designation rather than a separate center spot helps?

K

KingMilz

If anyone does deserve it out of those guys over Cuz it's Dragic he's the best player on a team with way less talent and he's helped carry them to a playoff spot, Dragic while not a better player he's had as big if not bigger impact than Cousins on a lesser team. DeAndre Jordan is a joke, Duncan is not really what he was, Lee with his recent play could make a light case.

The Suns deserve to have 1 player more than the Kings do tbh. Stats to me always mean very little it's about wins/impact and Dragic has more wins and equal impact.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard1h
West reserves: JHarden, TParker, TDuncan, DLillard, KLove, Blake Griffin, Dirk

Yeah I'm biased, but Boogie is deserving over Griffin without a doubt and one of Duncan or Dirk. Can't honor both old-timers while ignoring the historical stats Boogie is putting up. Pisses me off.

As a positive though, I'll turn around and say this will motivate Cuz even more and he'll come back next year putting up 26/12 and will be on a mission to destroy every coach he feels passed him up.
Are those just Broussard's predictions? I didn't think they named the reserves until later.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, I'm pretty sure those are just Broussard's predictions. No way the coaches will be able to decide who they want the reserves to be this quickly. I can look further, but I'm almost positive they come out later.ESPN Insider just posted a comment about "before the coaches start voting for their All-Star reserves..." That makes it pretty clear it's not a done deal quite yet.

Bricklayer

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard1h
West reserves: JHarden, TParker, TDuncan, DLillard, KLove, Blake Griffin, Dirk

Yeah I'm biased, but Boogie is deserving over Griffin without a doubt and one of Duncan or Dirk. Can't honor both old-timers while ignoring the historical stats Boogie is putting up. Pisses me off. Mitch got elected multiple times when playing for pretty poor teams here.

As a positive though, I'll turn around and say this will motivate Cuz even more and he'll come back next year putting up 26/12 and will be on a mission to destroy every coach he feels passed him up.
Not even predictions, just his own (stupid low grade moron ESPN hack) picks.

Found this little tidbit in ESPN's 5 on 5 all star discussion:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-140124/examining-all-star-starters

5. Name a player who might not make the All-Star team, but should.

Doolittle: Isaiah Thomas. You don't hear much about him, but he's a dynamic offensive player. He's averaging 21 points and seven assists since he became a starter, and the Thomas-Cousins-Gay trio has become one of the most effective in the league.
o_O I'm hoping the reason he said Thomas and not Cousins is because he believes Cousins WILL make the team.

Found this little tidbit in ESPN's 5 on 5 all star discussion:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-140124/examining-all-star-starters

o_O I'm hoping the reason he said Thomas and not Cousins is because he believes Cousins WILL make the team.
Well, he did suggest Cousins may deserve to start over Griffin, so that's a fair read:

It's tempting to say Anthony Davis or DeMarcus Cousins should be there instead of Blake Griffin, but they all have comparable bottom-line value and the Clippers are much better than the Pelicans or Kings.

I think it is clear from any perspective (beyond popularity) that Cousins is an All-Star.

However, I think it is worrisome that most people are so casual to dismiss the difference between putting up numbers on a good contending team versus putting them up for a bad team. It is not the same thing. Players on winning teams are given a benefit of the doubt because in most cases it is much more difficult playing in that type of environment.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think it is clear from any perspective (beyond popularity) that Cousins is an All-Star.

However, I think it is worrisome that most people are so casual to dismiss the difference between putting up numbers on a good contending team versus putting them up for a bad team. It is not the same thing. Players on winning teams are given a benefit of the doubt because in most cases it is much more difficult playing in that type of environment.
Or players on a losing team with little talent around them can get double and triple teamed.

Or players on a losing team with little talent around them can get double and triple teamed.
Possibly, but every team has some talent. It would be hard to find a team that was comfortable with consistent triple-teams. Plus, must good teams have players that are good, thus need less help on defense.

It would be interesting to see a double-team rate for all the teams in the league. I would not be surprised to find that lower quality teams faced LESS double-teams than good teams.

Bricklayer

Possibly, but every team has some talent. It would be hard to find a team that was comfortable with consistent triple-teams. Plus, must good teams have players that are good, thus need less help on defense.

It would be interesting to see a double-team rate for all the teams in the league. I would not be surprised to find that lower quality teams faced LESS double-teams than good teams.
That would likely be true for lower quality teams without star players.,

That would not be true for a guy like Cousins. pre-Gay trade in particular he might have had the highest double team percentage in the league. Why not with the sorts of alternative "weapons" we were throwing out there?