Bogdan Signed (merged)

I would love for Bogdan to take the SF spot over and be a star at that position, but when I watch him he looks like a guard through and through. Specific positions seem to matter a little less in today's game than they did a decade ago so maybe it doesn't matter. In reality I don't really care which position he plays (PG/SG/SF) as long he succeeds and the Kings get better. I'm excited to see what he can do. I get the feeling from him that he loves competition and he'll fit in well with the hard working young guys we have.

Will be he in time for summer-league? Or does he not qualify for that....
He will not play Summer league. He just finished his season in Europe and will play for his country at Eurobasket. He deserves the rest. This isn't some kid coming out of college, he is one of the best pro basketball players in Europe.

I mean, how is she still covering this team?
Beats me.

BTW, I found this via twitter. Didn't see it posted anywhere here (sorry if I missed it). It's Fran Fraschilla on the Bill Herenda podcast talking about the Kings roster after the reported agreement between Bogdanovic and the Kings. Nothing earth shattering, but just another perspective on all the Kings players.

http://kfbk.iheart.com/onair/bill-herenda-52749/fraschilla-looks-at-kings-after-bogdanovic-15948108/

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
A lot of players start their careers at SG and then transition over to SF as they get stronger. Iguodala was a 2 guard out of college. Lebron started at SG. Paul Pierce played SG about half the time early in his career. The Sonics even started Durant at SG for his rookie year. Also, the league is trending down lately with traditional small forwards moving to the 4 and SGs filling in at the 3. I would expect we'll mostly see Bogdan playing SG for the next 2 years but it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually moves over and plays a lot of minutes at SF by the end of his 3 year contract.

A lot of players start their careers at SG and then transition over to SF as they get stronger. Iguodala was a 2 guard out of college. Lebron started at SG. Paul Pierce played SG about half the time early in his career. The Sonics even started Durant at SG for his rookie year. Also, the league is trending down lately with traditional small forwards moving to the 4 and SGs filling in at the 3. I would expect we'll mostly see Bogdan playing SG for the next 2 years but it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually moves over and plays a lot of minutes at SF by the end of his 3 year contract.
Great analysis.

Could see Buddy morph to a 3 over the years as well.

To me it seems like wing players are becoming more and more interchangeable as the NBA game evolves. Shooting is also required from all positions. Between Buddy, Malachi, Bogdan, JJ, I think we have our future 2/3s.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great analysis.

Could see Buddy morph to a 3 over the years as well.

To me it seems like wing players are becoming more and more interchangeable as the NBA game evolves. Shooting is also required from all positions. Between Buddy, Malachi, Bogdan, JJ, I think we have our future 2/3s.
Buddy is 6'3" w/o shoes. I only want to see him at the 3 if the other team is playing a small ball lineup too.

Looking ahead to the offseasons over the course of his 3yr contract, how many different basketball activities is he likely to play in outside the NBA? Not trying to create unnecessary worry but just curious if there might be more beyond his national team that he might play in in the NBA offseason.

$9 million but who's counting?

To put Bogdan's deal in perspective his salary this year is only slightly above the MLE for next season.
I have no problem with the size of Bogdan's contract. There are things worth worrying about as kingsfans, but that's not one of them. He's as likely to be an important contributor as anyone else on the team as of now. And whatever the contract amount turns out to be, it doesn't include the buy-out with his current (old) team, which is up to the Kings to pay (I believe). But even that's not prohibitive.

I can see him playing big minutes (25-30 min) as backup SG, SF, and some PG this year. He will be one heck of a 6th man this year.

The NBA is going small across the board, so as Bogdan gets stronger, I could eventually see him starting at SF in 1 or 2 years.

I have no problem with the size of Bogdan's contract. There are things worth worrying about as kingsfans, but that's not one of them. He's as likely to be an important contributor as anyone else on the team as of now. And whatever the contract amount turns out to be, it doesn't include the buy-out with his current (old) team, which is up to the Kings to pay (I believe). But even that's not prohibitive.
A value contract is always beneficial. Hopefully, his play will make even $12M look like a bargain, but that only time will tell.

As of now, he's a rookie, who will probably take some time to adjust to the new environment and level of the game. It wouldn't be surprising at all if he takes some time before being really productive. That's the time he will deserve a big pay, and certainly earn it.

In the mean time, we have to be open to the possibility of trading one or more of our youngsters for other assets (no, I'm not advocating trading him). However, at the 2 position, we have 4 people who are good enough to deserve minutes, (and should for their and the team's development). We'll likely give them some minutes by playing them at 3, but sooner or later, we'll need to think about trading one or more of them to get more help at 3, and/or get a star. A value contract is always easier to trade. Money may not be an immediate issue for us, but it certainly is for most other teams.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Kings can contribute to the Buy out. I believe this year the max the team can contribute is $650,000.00. If the buyout is a million, or more, than that comes out of Bogdanovic's pocket. There is no obligation on the part of the Kings to pay any of it, but it's usually a given that the team will pay whatever amount allowed.