Bogdan Signed (merged)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The first thing people mistake here is comparing deals in Europe with deals in the USA dollar for dollar. Firstly salaries in Europe are after tax so it is the actual amount that the player receives into their bank account for the duration of their contract.

Along with the contract sum, players of Bogdan's calibre get other perks that actually add more value to that contract. He gets a new car to drive without spending anything on it. The club gets him to live in a 4 bedroom penthouse in the center of Istanbul. On top of that the clubs gets him sponsorship deals with their sponsors that top up their salary from other endorsements plus all the other sponsorships that he would get on his own because of his star factor across Europe. Those are the things that he will not get from Sacramento. All he gets is a salary and that even that is before tax.

Its different for the lower level players but for stars in Europe they get looked after pretty darn well. That is why some of them never come to the NBA despite getting drafted. It makes no financial sense to them and when a career of a basketballer has a pretty limited time span, they look to maximize their earning potential while they are playing. Nothing wrong with that.

Bogdan will be better value for the team than Afflalo was for pretty much the same money.
If Bog's is as good as I think he's going to be, then he'll get paid off the court. I see a multi-million dollar shoe deal in his future. And, my god, he could be the next pizza guy. :p

There is the distinct possibility that Bogdan could be better than Hield. By the way, Bogdan and Iggy share almost the exact same physical attributes, except maybe for weight. Both almost the same height, same wingspan, and same standing reach. So other than the exceptionally tall SF's in the league, Durant etc, Bog's should be able to guard most of them. At least on paper....:rolleyes:
I'm a big believer in Buddy... Hoping for an iron sharpens iron situation with him and Bogdan.

12 mil is pretty steep. That's probably what good/great sixth men and solid role playing starters should be making. I'm not saying Bogdan can't get there because I think he can! But there is always the risk that these international players totally flop.

I would have liked to see 9-10 mil a year with it being frontloaded, but you can't always get what you want. And it's not the worst thing in the world considering his contract will be off the books before our 8 rookies/sophomores are due for a raise.

Welcome Bogdan!
Yeah it does seem a little high, but I was hearing that Sean Livingston was going for that or more per year so I guess it's just the price we pay these days.

lol come on guys. there is no way Bogdan is a starting SF. Comparing him to Iggy is extremely far fetched. Despite Iggy's underwhelming length at SF, he's a very very physical player. He has a very strong base with a great upper body strength.

lol come on guys. there is no way Bogdan is a starting SF. Comparing him to Iggy is extremely far fetched. Despite Iggy's underwhelming length at SF, he's a very very physical player. He has a very strong base with a great upper body strength.

Yeah, post a picture of Iggy that's twice the size to get your point across.
Kidding of course. I'm straight but actually quite impressed by Bogdans shoulder span.

Very good signing. I watched him a lot this year. He has improved, great size for his position.
Especially his 3p game this year has been impressive. 2.1/4.9 in 28 minutes (43%). He is a killer.
Defensively though he has some work to do. He lacks athletism to guard f.example, Wall,Kyrie, etc.
But athletism and condition is something that can be fixed, and judging by the work I see done on PapaG, the department seems to be doing a great job.
Hope he is willing to work his a** off.

Do you mind explaining why he's going to be RFA and not UFA? There's no qualifying offer.
Believe they mean when the 3rd ywar is finished he would be a RFA because he spent 3 years on the Kings. Otherwise he wouls be a UFA. As of now he is neither free nor restricted but owned.

He and heirs will split the sg minutes. Sadly that leaves Richardson at sf or out of the rotation
I think all three (Buddy, Malachi and Bogdan) are players with terrific potential, and all are natural SGs. Malachi gets overlooked, but I'm not sure that Joerger has (already) decided Malachi's fate as so many kingsfans have. Remember, Joerger saw something in Malachi last year and gave him minutes before he did the same for Skal and Papa. Malachi responded well until his injury. So I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that the SG position is between (only) Buddy and Bogdan. We'll just have to wait and see how it shakes out.

Do you mind explaining why he's going to be RFA and not UFA? There's no qualifying offer.
First contract, under 4 years in the league. From Larry Coon's Salary Cap Faq:
44. What is restricted free agency?
There are two types of free agency: unrestricted and restricted. An unrestricted free agent is free to sign with any other team, and there's nothing the player's original team can do to prevent it. Restricted free agency gives the player's original team the right to keep the player by matching a contract the player signs with another team. This is called the "right of first refusal."

Restricted free agency exists only on a limited basis. It is allowed following the fourth year of rookie "scale" contracts for first round draft picks (see question number 49). It is also allowed for all veteran free agents who have been in the league three or fewer seasons. However, a first round draft pick becomes an unrestricted free agent following his second or third season if his team does not exercise its option to extend his rookie scale contract for the next season. All other free agency is limited to unrestricted free agency.
Bolded part mine - but basically since he didn't enter on the rookie scale and has under 4 years, he's an RFA so long as we tender an offer at the end of the contract.

I don't think Buddy's handle is even close to Bogdanovich. Maybe he's working on it but it looked like a major weakness in his play last year. He can shoot but Bogdanovich and Fox seems like the first teamers to me.
Bogdan can shoot the lights out. Bogdan can handle like a PG. Bogdan can create and pass. There isn't much that Buddy has on Bogdan except less of a liability on defense. But Buddy was a heck of a shooter last 20 games of the year. Should be a good battle.

I like our new set of problems.

I don't think Buddy's handle is even close to Bogdanovich. Maybe he's working on it but it looked like a major weakness in his play last year. He can shoot but Bogdanovich and Fox seems like the first teamers to me.
It definitely was a weakness. The reason I'm so high on Buddy though is his work ethic. They say he lives in the gym and if his time in college is any indicator of how he'll be as a pro he'll get better every year. I'm expecting a better handle this year after an off season of knowing what he has to work on.

Lets see how Bogdan does in the NBA before we compare him to Buddy. His stats in Europe were very similar to Buddy's stats in Sacramento but the competition is obviously not on the same level. Bogdan was actually a pretty inefficient shooter with an average 3 point shot until this last year where his percentages shot up through the roof. Was that an anomaly or was that because he improved his game that much? We will find out. Would be nice to be like back in the day when you'd sit a starter and the backup would come in without much of a drop off at all. Been a long time since we've had that kind of depth.

I know this is the Bogdan thread, but I haven't been this excited for a season since the early 2000s. I know it's been 12 years, but if it ends up as special as the way I feel right now, then I can forget about the misery we have been in for the past decade.

Welcome, Bogdan, to the new Sacramento Kings and may you be a part of the next special Kings team!

I think the Bogdanovic before Hield thing is premature IMO. I've heard Napear intimating that, and maybe creating that atmosphere a bit, but Hield has shown me he's going to be an efficient, winning, good starting SG, and I've only seen Bogdan in some Euroleague clips. I think the Kings already had their starting SG in hand, and I hope Bogdan can play some three. In general I'm not sure Napear respects Hield for whatever reason, and was also quick to critique him during the season

Napear doesn't know any more about basketball than your average Joe. He's a hypocrite of the highest order. You'd think a guy who got paid to watch and talk about basketball for decades would actually be knowledgeable on the sport but it's almost as if he's had his head in the sand for his entire career. Yesterday on the radio he was going off about how age doesn't matter because look at how Chris Paul is 32, still in his prime and being coveted by teams. Yeah Grant, you're right. He is still an extremely valuable player for a team that's ready to win now but his value goes down a ton when you know that he will be 35 by time the rest of the team around him has developed enough to make a playoff run. Age does matter when you aren't on the same timeline as 90% of the rest of the team. The world isn't black and white.

He has his own agenda and it doesn't matter how good you are or what you do for the franchise. If he doesn't like you, he is relentless about it and he won't stop talking about it until you leave. Actually that's untrue. He will continue to talk about it but if you call in to talk about it, he will tell you it's in the past and that no one should be talking about it anymore. Then the next time something reminds him of it, he will talk about it again and then yell at you for responding to it.

Bogdan is quite physical as well. Playing in a more physical league. He D'd up against some of the big SF's on the US team and looked alright to me.

I've watched a lot of Bogdan lately. He's a good player but no where near the offensive dynamo Buddy could turn into. Right now Bogdan is a better defender and ball handler, but Buddy's shot creating ability is special. Both are a bit erratic with their decision making at times but both appear to have all around game possibilities. I suggest everyone go and watch some Buddy highlights post trade.

I think all three (Buddy, Malachi and Bogdan) are players with terrific potential, and all are natural SGs. Malachi gets overlooked, but I'm not sure that Joerger has (already) decided Malachi's fate as so many kingsfans have. Remember, Joerger saw something in Malachi last year and gave him minutes before he did the same for Skal and Papa. Malachi responded well until his injury. So I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that the SG position is between (only) Buddy and Bogdan. We'll just have to wait and see how it shakes out.
Malachi also got minutes because the other options were Arron Afflalo and Ben Mclemore and both played bad when given time. Malachi did look good though. I still say he has the size and frame to play some SF.

Napear doesn't know any more about basketball than your average Joe. He's a hypocrite of the highest order. You'd think a guy who got paid to watch and talk about basketball for decades would actually be knowledgeable on the sport but it's almost as if he's had his head in the sand for his entire career. Yesterday on the radio he was going off about how age doesn't matter because look at how Chris Paul is 32, still in his prime and being coveted by teams. Yeah Grant, you're right. He is still an extremely valuable player for a team that's ready to win now but his value goes down a ton when you know that he will be 35 by time the rest of the team around him has developed enough to make a playoff run. Age does matter when you aren't on the same timeline as 90% of the rest of the team. The world isn't black and white.

He has his own agenda and it doesn't matter how good you are or what you do for the franchise. If he doesn't like you, he is relentless about it and he won't stop talking about it until you leave. Actually that's untrue. He will continue to talk about it but if you call in to talk about it, he will tell you it's in the past and that no one should be talking about it anymore. Then the next time something reminds him of it, he will talk about it again and then yell at you for responding to it.
Well said. He's a jerk. He does have a certain amount of knowledge, but his analytical skills are stuck at the 10th grade level. He's also just mean. And then a kiss-ass. And then mean. And then a kiss-ass again. Then mean again. Tiring.

Grant learned that picking on the "star" player and creating controversy gets people to click and listen. If people paid him no mind, he'd change his tune.