Bogdan Signed (merged)

Once again, any 3 year contract is basically meaningless at this point with regards to our future. Only WCS is eligible for an extension during that time-period. So while 12 mil is basically the price of a quality 6th man/starter in today's market, the money basically means nothing with regards to our future. The far more important aspect was bringing him over and getting him on the team.

We still have piles of money to take on bad contracts for assets. The magic number is 3 year deals

our situation played into his and his agents hands. Good for him. We needed to spend anyway. Saw him at the Olympics in Rio. Legit and able as a lead guard/facilitator.

Good. Anyway it looks like he's coming. We may have the problem of too much talent at SG. Love problems like that. That's why Joerger gets the big bucks.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
What's the market in your opinion? Was there more financial competition than I see? Was there strong incentive to come to the NBA? How does it get to 12 in your opinion?
My rationale at the time is that an average starting SG in the NBA is going to start their asking price at around $12 million a year and there are enough teams with needs that they'll get at least that much. Danny Green signed for $10 million a year in 2015 so that's kind of my baseline. The salary cap has gone up since then so $12-13 million now is about equivalent to $10 million then in terms of roster share. Look at the contracts Harrison Barnes and Alan Crabbe signed last year and then add 5%. That's what you're going to see players in the 23-27 year old range signing for this summer.

I know some people are asking how an unproven prospect can demand a contract that compares to a 6 year veteran who started on a championship winning team but there are a couple factors to keep in mind. Yes we own Bogdan's draft rights but his agent still has leverage. He's been very successful where he's at and he could always stay in Europe and be one of the higher paid players there. That might not compare to NBA money in the short term but he's moving to a new team with a new coach and considerable competition in place now at his position. That's a risky move for him too. If it doesn't work out he might not get another NBA contract and now he's got to look for a deal elsewhere when he's in his late 20s and is 3 years removed from his last Euroleague championship. So you can throw out the rookie scale at this point. We're going to pay him what he would make as a Free Agent in the NBA at his age and skill level and that's easily in the $10-15 million per year range at this point.

And from our perspective, we want him here this year so he can grow with the rest of our rookie crop, we want a three year deal so we can make him a Restricted Free Agent and we want him happy. Just pay the kid what's fair. We're way ahead of the game anyway seeing how we've got 9 players on rookie scale contracts and those are the best deal in the league.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Good going! So what do you think our record will be this year and how many more seasons until we make the playoffs? :)
I don't know about the record. A lot will depend on who we sign in free agency. With the roster we have now though I think our range is 28-40 wins and I'm personally hoping we're in the low 30s again so we get a top 10 pick in the 2018 draft. Our core group is De'Aaron Fox at PG, Buddy Hield at SG, and Skal Labissiere at PF for now but eventually moving to C as he fills out. Then we've got other guys I expect will stick around as rotation players in Willie, Georgios, Bogdan, Justin, Frank, and Malachi. We'll probably end up trading 3 of these guys at some point down the line. Harry Giles is a wildcard. If he gets himself back into shape he could be our starting PF of the future and we're well on our way to having a young playoff ready core. If not, we're going to probably need a decent free agent signing at some point. Either way I think we want to get a starting level player in next year's draft and aim for the playoffs in the 2018-2019 season. That's a remarkably fast rebuild but the Western conference is much weaker now than it's been in a long time. The Clippers may be falling out of playoff contention. The Grizzlies are transitioning to a younger group of players. Portland and Denver are in chaos. New Orleans, Dallas, and Minnesota should be competitive but that remains to be seen. Realistically we're probably 3 seasons out right now but that would still be a damn fast rebuild. We'd be making it the playoffs at that point (2020) with most of our starting lineup still on their rookie deals.

Most of my predictions turn out wrong though so I wouldn't put much stock in my opinion if I were you. :) We could end up pulling a Danny Ainge and trading most of this young core plus future picks for a couple All-Star level veterans in a couple years. Who knows! I hope we're building toward a long playoff run though. The rest of the league needs to be reminded what a real hometown crowd sounds like in the playoffs.

Once again, any 3 year contract is basically meaningless at this point with regards to our future. Only WCS is eligible for an extension during that time-period. So while 12 mil is basically the price of a quality 6th man/starter in today's market, the money basically means nothing with regards to our future. The far more important aspect was bringing him over and getting him on the team.

We still have piles of money to take on bad contracts for assets. The magic number is 3 year deals
Disagree. The magic number is 2 year deals. This gives us the ability to sign 1 or 2 good free agents in the 2019 offseason while being able to go over the cap in the 2020 & 2021 offseasons to retain our current rookies/sophomores.

I'm not saying signing Bogdan to a 3 year deal is a bad thing because he is young and could demand a higher payday by the time his contract is up, but if you're talking about signing stopgap veterans or taking on bad contracts, it should be 2 years or less.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
About what I expected money wise, I personally wish they would have done 5/50 so that by the end of his deal yr 4 and 5 he would be a value contract instead of due for a pay raise in case we were contending and needed to pay our stars.
In this case 3 year deal is ideal - by keeping it 3 years, we retain RFA rights for his second contract.

12 million got us Arron Afflalo, which was really low level starter or decent rotation guy. I think Bogdan will be a solid starter in year two.

SICK!! Rookie of the year possibly?!
I think it's going to be really difficult to get ROY. You have Fultz who will automatically bring double-digit scoring.. then Lonzo who might end up averaging double-doubles.. and you can't forget about Fox too! Lots of good competition for ROY... if he came over last year, I think he could've won ROY. However in this year, I don't think Bogdanovic has a chance lol

12 million got us Arron Afflalo, which was really low level starter or decent rotation guy. I think Bogdan will be a solid starter in year two.
At which position? I think Hield will be too... might make life easier if Bogdan could use his 7 ft wingspan into playing some 3.

I think the deal is plenty fair for both sides and gives us leverage to retain him in the future should we choose to. Can't wait to see him and the rest of our team in action this season.

I think it's going to be really difficult to get ROY. You have Fultz who will automatically bring double-digit scoring.. then Lonzo who might end up averaging double-doubles.. and you can't forget about Fox too! Lots of good competition for ROY... if he came over last year, I think he could've won ROY. However in this year, I don't think Bogdanovic has a chance lol
I do think Fox and Bogdan will be on the top 10, maybe even top 5 board all year just simply due to opportunity. Both guys project for 30+ minute roles that a lot of rookies don't get.

Actually guys help me out here a bit. I'm a big fan from what I have seen of Bogdan, but..

What exact position does he play? How can he fit in here? At that pride does he start right away? Is he the three we've been looking for?

Actually guys help me out here a bit. I'm a big fan from what I have seen of Bogdan, but..

What exact position does he play? How can he fit in here? At that pride does he start right away? Is he the three we've been looking for?
In the Nba he is a two. He can guard small threes but not at all players like Lebron, Kd, PG. So he is not our future sf. Most likely future 6th man

Check out my old posts. We signed kind of Ginobili. Be happy guys. Let's hope for Milos....

Remember, we can't compete fairly with other markets, Spurs is our target,let's embrace fiba basketball. Let's wait for Teodosic. Hopefully.

How good of friends are they? I know there was the wedding photo, but are they the euro version of the banana boat crew? If so, I'd think Bogdan inking early would convince him to join him in Sacto.

Way generous... who in Europe was paying him close to this, and we had the leverage of the NBA? Tells me we might be concerned about how to spend this vast cap a little bit
The first thing people mistake here is comparing deals in Europe with deals in the USA dollar for dollar. Firstly salaries in Europe are after tax so it is the actual amount that the player receives into their bank account for the duration of their contract.

Along with the contract sum, players of Bogdan's calibre get other perks that actually add more value to that contract. He gets a new car to drive without spending anything on it. The club gets him to live in a 4 bedroom penthouse in the center of Istanbul. On top of that the clubs gets him sponsorship deals with their sponsors that top up their salary from other endorsements plus all the other sponsorships that he would get on his own because of his star factor across Europe. Those are the things that he will not get from Sacramento. All he gets is a salary and that even that is before tax.

Its different for the lower level players but for stars in Europe they get looked after pretty darn well. That is why some of them never come to the NBA despite getting drafted. It makes no financial sense to them and when a career of a basketballer has a pretty limited time span, they look to maximize their earning potential while they are playing. Nothing wrong with that.

Bogdan will be better value for the team than Afflalo was for pretty much the same money.

So I was pretty close on this, when I made this post I was unaware of the rule that if he signs a 3 year deal he's an RFA afterward, so this gives us 7 years of control over a 24/25 year old player.
Ok, this makes more sense now. When I first heard of the signing, I was disappointed to discover that it was for only 3 years. My initial thought was that he's going to bolt for San Antonio and Coach Pop as soon as that 3rd year expires, which made me wonder why they couldn't negotiate a 4 or 5 yr deal. BUT, if what you're saying is true and he's a RFA after year 3 -- I am totally on board with this deal. If he works out and the Kings want to keep him long term, they can. I dig it.

How good of friends are they? I know there was the wedding photo, but are they the euro version of the banana boat crew? If so, I'd think Bogdan inking early would convince him to join him in Sacto.
I think you will find all the guys on the Serbian NT are pretty close bunch and get along really well. One piece of news in Serbian media yesterday or was it the day before was that Milos has decided not to return to CSKA Moscow on the biggest deal they have offered anyone and he has been quoted as saying that fort eh first time in his NBA career he is strongly considering going to the NBA but has not made his decision yet.

Ben Simmons says hi.

One thing about Bogdan is that despite being a rookie in NBA terms, he is a veteran in basketball terms. He started playing professional ball as a teenager KK Partizan, a team that has a reputation of producing NBA prospects and European stars. There is a system in place at Partizan where young players learn from the veterans. They learn how to compete above their expectations, they learn how to play team ball and what it means to sacrifice yourself for the good of the team. They are given certain roles and are expected to perform that role. They learn what it is all about and they progress in the hierarchy when it comes to responsibility. These guys play for the love of the club and its fans despite not receiving many of their wages. Bogdan was no exception and they all forgive that debt because Partizan develops them into players that can earn a lot more money than they would have otherwise. KK Partizan has been known for their notorious practices where players are developed and winners are formed. Over the years Partizan has produced many NBA players, including some current NBA players. They have also produced many European stars.

Bogdan has gone through that system. He has gone from a kid that would practice and not play, to a kid that would play sporadic minutes, to a major cog in the wheel, to a best player at Partizan and on to Fener where he has becomes a star in European basketball. He understands what it takes to win. He has played in more big games than probably most of the current Kings roster combined. He won't shy away from the responsibility. So despite being a rookie in NBA terms, he brings a lot of big game experience that he can pass on to these kids. He will be a very productive player at the NBA level and when the time comes to take that shot, he won't shy away from the responsibility. He has been doing that at Euroleague and international level since he was 20 years of age.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sounds about right.

Mason/Bogdan back up guards. Fox and Hield future 1/2.
There is the distinct possibility that Bogdan could be better than Hield. By the way, Bogdan and Iggy share almost the exact same physical attributes, except maybe for weight. Both almost the same height, same wingspan, and same standing reach. So other than the exceptionally tall SF's in the league, Durant etc, Bog's should be able to guard most of them. At least on paper....:rolleyes: