Bogdan Signed (merged)

According to a serbian newspaper we already have a deal, 30 milions in 3 years.

http://www.kurir.rs/sport/kosarka/2871185/kurir-saznaje-bogdan-bogdanovic-u-nba-za-30-miliona-dolara

Let's wait Serbian sniper for the translation. Maybe he knows if we can trust the source as well.
Kurir is not the most reliable source out there. The article is basically saying what has been rumoured for a while and that is that Bogdan has made a decision to leave Fener and sign a 3 year $30 million deal with the Kings.

Kurir is not the most reliable source out there. The article is basically saying what has been rumoured for a while and that is that Bogdan has made a decision to leave Fener and sign a 3 year $30 million deal with the Kings.
Thank you. I'm not sure the rules (too lazy to look up also) on signing players you have draft rights to before the FA period begins. I would hate to think they would skirt the rules before it is allowed (actually think it is, but still).

Like Čarolija said, Kurir is not reliable , especially when it comes to sports. I will wait for the official, but who knows, maybe they know something others don't. Other Serbian newspappers didn't say anything about that....

If 30M / 3y - i will be happy for both sides.
Interesting. Thanks to you both for providing some context here. I will await further confirmation before getting too excited.

Thank you. I'm not sure the rules (too lazy to look up also) on signing players you have draft rights to before the FA period begins. I would hate to think they would skirt the rules before it is allowed (actually think it is, but still).
remember Vlade said he would know before the draft whether Bogdan was coming over. They probably shook hands on this deal a week ago.

Way generous... who in Europe was paying him close to this, and we had the leverage of the NBA? Tells me we might be concerned about how to spend this vast cap a little bit

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It's a fair deal in this market. And it's not like we don't have the cap space. I also wanted to point out (in a rare moment of self congratulations ;)) that I threw out $12 million a year as the contract we would sign Bogdanovic to in a post on December 10th! Right on the money! I also had us picking De'Aaron Fox. On the other hand, the title of the thread was "Rebuilding around Cousins" so I don't think I'll be getting my Nostradamus credentials any time soon...

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Way generous... who in Europe was paying him close to this, and we had the leverage of the NBA? Tells me we might be concerned about how to spend this vast cap a little bit
Good problem to have though!

It might be a slight overpay, especially for a guy who's untested in the NBA, but with most of our roster on rookie deals, I don't really have a problem with a 3 year contract at 12 per.

Welcome aboard, Bogs!

It's a fair deal in this market. And it's not like we don't have the cap space. I also wanted to point out (in a rare moment of self congratulations ;)) that I threw out $12 million a year as the contract we would sign Bogdanovic to in a post on December 10th! Right on the money! I also had us picking De'Aaron Fox. On the other hand, the title of the thread was "Rebuilding around Cousins" so I don't think I'll be getting my Nostradamus credentials any time soon...
What's the market in your opinion? Was there more financial competition than I see? Was there strong incentive to come to the NBA? How does it get to 12 in your opinion?

Good going! So what do you think our record will be this year and how many more seasons until we make the playoffs? :)

12 mil is pretty steep. That's probably what good/great sixth men and solid role playing starters should be making. I'm not saying Bogdan can't get there because I think he can! But there is always the risk that these international players totally flop.

I would have liked to see 9-10 mil a year with it being frontloaded, but you can't always get what you want. And it's not the worst thing in the world considering his contract will be off the books before our 8 rookies/sophomores are due for a raise.

Welcome Bogdan!

@capn what are the parameters of a declining long term deal?

I would love to give him one. 4 year deal, with an average of about 12mm per year. Over pay in year one and 2. Team option on year 4. Something like 15, 12, 10, 10. It would use cap we don't need this year and free up more space when hopefully we're good. If he doesn't work out we get off his deal after 3 and we over pay for that flexibility.
So I was pretty close on this, when I made this post I was unaware of the rule that if he signs a 3 year deal he's an RFA afterward, so this gives us 7 years of control over a 24/25 year old player. Perfect timing. He cut his teeth in Europe and hopefully will be ready to contribute from day 1.

Interesting aside. When Vlade made the trade for his rights, in his press conference he stated that part of it was because he did not expect to have a draft pick in 2017 draft (assuming they made the playoffs) Instead that had 4 draft picks + Bogdan.

So from my accounting Vlade turned...you know what, I'm going to start a new thread on what Vlade and Co. have turned the roster into since he took over.

So I was pretty close on this, when I made this post I was unaware of the rule that if he signs a 3 year deal he's an RFA afterward, so this gives us 7 years of control over a 24/25 year old player. Perfect timing. He cut his teeth in Europe and hopefully will be ready to contribute from day 1.

Interesting aside. When Vlade made the trade for his rights, in his press conference he stated that part of it was because he did not expect to have a draft pick in 2017 draft (assuming they made the playoffs) Instead that had 4 draft picks + Bogdan.

So from my accounting Vlade turned...you know what, I'm going to start a new thread on what Vlade and Co. have turned the roster into since he took over.
To put it in perspective what Vlade has done, you might want to go back to when Vivek took "ownership" of the team. The team has been in continual turnover since then but the results I suspect are going to be starkly different now than at the beginning of Vivek's tenure

About what I expected money wise, I personally wish they would have done 5/50 so that by the end of his deal yr 4 and 5 he would be a value contract instead of due for a pay raise in case we were contending and needed to pay our stars.

About what I expected money wise, I personally wish they would have done 5/50 so that by the end of his deal yr 4 and 5 he would be a value contract instead of due for a pay raise in case we were contending and needed to pay our stars.
They couldn't do a five year deal.

- he could just stay in Europe if he doesnt like your offer
- Kings have cap space burning a hole in their pocket, which his agent knows
- Fener made a lot of money this year, winning the championship, new sponsors, lots of money to keep Bogdan

Still, 12 million seems a bit much.

I Have a question for the Serbian Sniper

If We picked up Bojan in free Agency, would you think Bogdan at the 2 and Bojan at the 3 would work well together off the bench?
As two european players would they love to play together or hate it?

Oh BTW please excuse my ignorance about Europe players
Bojan off the bench yes!

But his defense is pretty bad from what I've heard, so we'd need someone around who can play D when needed.

That's great news!

I was thinking 4 years/$40 million, but if we do 3 years/$36 mil and keep him as a RFA after 3 years, that may be better in the long run. Plus we have a ton of cap space.

As far as his role, I see him as a potential 6th man of the year candidate down the road. He can play the SG, SF and some PG. He is really versatile, so he may be able to start sometimes at SF, if he can put on some muscle, if he warrants starter minutes.

Way to go Vlade! I'm sure he knew Bogdan was coming over this summer when he made that Phoenix trade! ;)