Bogdan Bogdanovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
With evaluators saying that Bogdanovich would be a top 5 or top 3 pick in this or next years draft, and us getting 2 other young bigs, this trade most likely is going to be a big win for Sac. Personally, I think Chriss and Skal are going to be the same level of player.
Well right now, based on what I saw at summer league, Chriss has the body, and Skal has the skill level. It's usually easier to develop the body than it is the skill level, so from that perspective, I'll put my money on Skal to be a good player. Not to take anything away from Chriss. He's not without skills, but he's very raw in some areas as well. Either by intent, or by pure luck, acquiring Skal was as steal. As for Bogdan, he's already stated that he wants to play in the NBA, and he can do that next season without the buyout. Most of the buyout cost would have to come out of his pocket if he wanted to come over this year. In short, I have little doubt that with Vlade being Serbian and Bogdan being Serbian, they have had a couple of conversations on the matter.

Well right now, based on what I saw at summer league, Chriss has the body, and Skal has the skill level. It's usually easier to develop the body than it is the skill level, so from that perspective, I'll put my money on Skal to be a good player. Not to take anything away from Chriss. He's not without skills, but he's very raw in some areas as well. Either by intent, or by pure luck, acquiring Skal was as steal. As for Bogdan, he's already stated that he wants to play in the NBA, and he can do that next season without the buyout. Most of the buyout cost would have to come out of his pocket if he wanted to come over this year. In short, I have little doubt that with Vlade being Serbian and Bogdan being Serbian, they have had a couple of conversations on the matter.
Agreed. If I had to take a guess at it, I would say they spoke about it before the trade ever went down. I doubt Vlade would have done that without knowing an answer. If I recall correctly, Bogdan actually mentioned he had interest in coming over this year 1-2 days after the trade. He's going to come!

If Bogdan was coming next year that would be amazing for the Kings, but I've read in numerous places that he would be leaving a good many of millions of dollars on the table by not waiting one extra year. It isn't about the buyout (chump change for Vivek I'm sure) but rather about how Bogdan's NBA contract can be structured starting 2017 vs 2016.

I don't think there's much chance but it would be incredible if we could get him now.

Raduljica absolutely running over two quality bigs in Bogit and Baynes. Unfortunately Delly and Patty Mills doing the same with Bogdan, who's probably been playing his worst minutes of the summer.
Is this a product of Bogdan having a terrible game or is it obvious that he is overmatched by their talent? I'm hoping for the first option.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Raduljica absolutely running over two quality bigs in Bogit and Baynes. Unfortunately Delly and Patty Mills doing the same with Bogdan, who's probably been playing his worst minutes of the summer.
I didn't see it that way in regards to Bog's defense. I thought he was ok.....Teodosic on the other hand was not good defensively and basically chucked. Jokic also didn't show up.

IMO Bogdan was mostly a decoy tonight until the last couple of minutes. Serbia has several players that have seniority on him and that plays a role in his lack of shot attempts.

I watched most of the second half. He was bad. No points in the time I saw. Maybe 1 assists. He is a good passer, defense was atrocious until the end of the game. Bad turnovers, unforced. Threw the ball away on the last play of the game basically. Got it back with 2 seconds left and rimmed out a 35 footer that would have won the game.

He is not a PG, but he has good court vision. No idea if the defense is laziness, bad skill or scheme. He definitely is not a good enough ball handler to be the primary handler in the NBA, at least not right now.

Link---> http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2016/7/13/12167712/kings-bogdan-bogdanovic

Excerpt: "
I have heard some people say that if Bogdan was in the draft this year he would have been a lottery pick. Essentially, he was because the Kings traded for his rights at 8, but what are your thoughts on that? Do you think he would have gone in the top 8 if he was in this year's NBA Draft?

Top 5 pick this summer if he were in the draft."
He's not really a draft elevator though. But I guess so. Bogdan would not go top 5 in this draft. That's freaking insane. Who's he's going to replace? Simmons? Ingram? Brown? Bender? Dunn? Murray? I don't think so. Bogdan will be/is 24. I think he goes in the top 10, but not top 5. Age is a huge factor for draft prospects. Then to know that Bogdan won't come over for another year?

No one would draft a 25yearold rookie in the top 5.

I watched most of the second half. He was bad. No points in the time I saw. Maybe 1 assists. He is a good passer, defense was atrocious until the end of the game. Bad turnovers, unforced. Threw the ball away on the last play of the game basically. Got it back with 2 seconds left and rimmed out a 35 footer that would have won the game.

He is not a PG, but he has good court vision. No idea if the defense is laziness, bad skill or scheme. He definitely is not a good enough ball handler to be the primary handler in the NBA, at least not right now.
I think Serbia threw the game so they won't have to face team USA. Take that how you will...but Bogs was pretty bad nonetheless.

Maybe he could develop into a PG down the line like Goran Dragic, but right now, he's not a PG. His defense is extremely questionable. He doesn't have great athleticism nor is he laterally fast. I don't think people realize how bad his defense could be in the NBA. You're playing 82 games against NBA top tier athletes. I honestly think most SGs could easily blow by him, but maybe Joerger(if he's our coach next season) could hide him with scheme fit.

Why are people even discussing him as a PG? No one has ever projected him there, at least not anybody that has watched him play. He's a SG who can probably play minutes at SF.
I think some people thought that since he can handle the ball, he can play moments at PG. Not happening and anyone who watches him knows that. He can become a combo guard down the road though. Something similar to a Manu Ginoboli would be pretty nice. I think he'll need to work on his ball handling a lot for this to happen. As of right now, I don't think he can rely on his quickness to get him to the rim. Hopefully he can make up that ground with his ball handling.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think some people thought that since he can handle the ball, he can play moments at PG. Not happening and anyone who watches him knows that. He can become a combo guard down the road though. Something similar to a Manu Ginoboli would be pretty nice. I think he'll need to work on his ball handling a lot for this to happen. As of right now, I don't think he can rely on his quickness to get him to the rim. Hopefully he can make up that ground with his ball handling.
To be fair, Manu isn't really a PG either. Even his more PGier years in the league were augmented by the fact that the Spurs offense at the time was simply dump the ball to peak era Tim Duncan and see what happened.

With Ben gone next year, I am guessing he will join the Affalo,Bogdan, Malachi group of SGs
and provide shooting off the bench and only have to defend Bench players. The year after that, Bogdan and Malachi hopefully will be ready to be our two SG

To be fair, Manu isn't really a PG either. Even his more PGier years in the league were augmented by the fact that the Spurs offense at the time was simply dump the ball to peak era Tim Duncan and see what happened.

That kind of sounds like something the Kings ought to be looking at recreating. Bogdan looks to be able to run pick and roll better than many PG's in the NBA right now.

I thought he played well in the first half ( had 10 points), but France then started focusing on him in the 2nd half and he was quiet. He mostly played Nicholas Batum in this game, who is taller than him. But he held his own against Batum, who is considered one of the promising young small forwards in the NBA. Bogdan is definitely an NBA player.

Bogdan with a chance to tie the game in the final seconds with a 3. It would have been storybook if it went in. Alas it was not to be, but Serbia put a scare on the USA Team with a close game at the end.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Why are people even discussing him as a PG? No one has ever projected him there, at least not anybody that has watched him play. He's a SG who can probably play minutes at SF.
Bingo!!!! Thanks for stating the obvious that for some reason, some are ignoring. I'm amazed at the negativity regarding him. Folks, we have no idea how his skill level will translate to the NBA. We have no idea what offensive or defensive scheme his team is playing. We have no idea whether his team was trying to avoid an early meeting with the USA team and intentionally throwing the game. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened in international play. Does it matter whether he would have gone top five, or top ten in this years draft? Vlade managed to get him thrown in as part of the deal moving from 8th to 13th. Top five, or top ten, he's a potential steal!!

Bingo!!!! Thanks for stating the obvious that for some reason, some are ignoring. I'm amazed at the negativity regarding him. Folks, we have no idea how his skill level will translate to the NBA. We have no idea what offensive or defensive scheme his team is playing. We have no idea whether his team was trying to avoid an early meeting with the USA team and intentionally throwing the game. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened in international play. Does it matter whether he would have gone top five, or top ten in this years draft? Vlade managed to get him thrown in as part of the deal moving from 8th to 13th. Top five, or top ten, he's a potential steal!!
Agreed, I would have preferred Baldwin, Skal and Bogdan in return for the #8 pick. But Vlade must see something in Papa that many of us do not. I'm willing to give The Big Rookie some time.

In any event I think the trades Vlade made were good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.