Bogdan Bogdanovic

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, now is the time for Bogdan to come over. He's already going to be 25-26 and that gives him about 2 years to get acclimated to the NBA game before he enters his physical prime. The later he comes over, the less time he gets to get used to things. Also, in another year the Kings might not have room for him.

Tax in the U.S. for that big of salary will be about 50%. That may go down if Trump lowers the income tax for the wealthy.
I assume you are combining federal and state taxes, even though some states have no income tax? The max federal tax is 39.6% so if you work in a state with no income tax, it's not close to 50%.

California is not one of those states. CA income tax rate for him would be at least 13.3% which would put him over that 50% threshold.
I could be wrong, but I thought I had read before that professional athletes are paid out on a game to game basis and are taxed according to where the game is played. Granted being on a team in CA means your going to play at least half your games in that state and be taxed at the 13.3 but for games played in Texas and Florida where there is no state income tax, they do not pay state income taxes on that game check.

Either way, I don't know how much taxes are really going to weigh on his decision to come over. I just want to see him in a Kings uniform next year.

I could be wrong, but I thought I had read before that professional athletes are paid out on a game to game basis and are taxed according to where the game is played. Granted being on a team in CA means your going to play at least half your games in that state and be taxed at the 13.3 but for games played in Texas and Florida where there is no state income tax, they do not pay state income taxes on that game check.

Either way, I don't know how much taxes are really going to weigh on his decision to come over. I just want to see him in a Kings uniform next year.
That rate is based on an income threshold of just over $1M which he would surpass in home game pay alone. I agree with you though, I don't think this affects hid decision, I'm just crazy when it comes to details.

As a California Resident he will pay Calif tax on his Worldwide Income, there may be taxes in other states for games played in those states as a nonresident, but there is a tax credit on the california return for double tax paid to another state (The lower of the two state tax payment) so yes for taxable income over 1 mil the rate for Calif is 13.3% the first $1,074,996 comes to $104,497 (2016 rates) which is about 9.7% (joint return rates since he just got married - lol)

I hope Bogdan comes over and starts working out with the Kings Coaching staff and the Players that are in town. Be nice to see him get acclimated to the Sacramento area and the United States in general. Vlade and Peja should be a huge help in that regard.

I think sometimes we Fans forget that Players are human just as we are. It could take awhile before Bogdan to reach a comfort level with new surroundings. Though 10 million a year should help:)
I don't think he will be coming to Sacramento until just prior to the training camp. He has national team commitments and he does need a break before he gets into another training camp in preparation for next season.

Unless he is afraid he cant compete at the NBA level there is no way he doesnt come over. Will make substantially more money and even more motivating is the oppurtunity to find out just how good he trully is. Cant do that hidding in europe putting up stats against lower competition. And if your a hungry competitor why would you not relish the challenge?

Of course, best basketball players in the world play in the NBA, no doubt. But if you wanna "put up stats" NBA is an easier league than European ones. I remember Jennings who couldn't stay in the floor sometimes in Rome... and then, one year later, was scoring 50 points as a rookie in Milwaukee. NBA regular season is easier, you (players of course, not staff) don't study your opponents playbook all week long before the Sunday match. NBA teams can lose without being relegated, some of them lose on purpose, easy to play against those teams if you wanna put up stats. I think there are many reasons for a player to stay in Europe instead of going to play in the NBA, and I respect a lot of those reasons. Funny example, if you were a player like Bodiroga, a basketball fundamentals maestro, how would you feel to play in a league where the best player (LeBron) travels three times out of four? It's like realizing all the stuff your learnt in your career are useless. It's depressing.

Let me say it's easier to put up stats in the NBA than in Europe.
His Euro stats and awards would only be relevant when compared to other euro league players. Someone has said he may want to be a Euro "legend" instead of coming to NBA....might as well join the G-league and be a legend in that league if that is what motivates him. Id say no way with all ive heard about him. His competitve fire and desire to measure himself against the best competition in the world is what will bring him to the NBA in addition to the bigger earnings. No way a guy like him will be content earning trophies in a sub par league and then be left to spend the rest of his life wondering if he was good enough to have been somebody special againat tbe best players in the world. I see no way he can be the same player that just lead his team to tje Euro glory land and then be content to settle for mediocraty when there is bigger dragons to slay over here. Bog is coming over if there is any truth to his fire and competitiveness.

Of course, best basketball players in the world play in the NBA, no doubt. But if you wanna "put up stats" NBA is an easier league than European ones. I remember Jennings who couldn't stay in the floor sometimes in Rome... and then, one year later, was scoring 50 points as a rookie in Milwaukee. NBA regular season is easier, you (players of course, not staff) don't study your opponents playbook all week long before the Sunday match. NBA teams can lose without being relegated, some of them lose on purpose, easy to play against those teams if you wanna put up stats. I think there are many reasons for a player to stay in Europe instead of going to play in the NBA, and I respect a lot of those reasons. Funny example, if you were a player like Bodiroga, a basketball fundamentals maestro, how would you feel to play in a league where the best player (LeBron) travels three times out of four? It's like realizing all the stuff your learnt in your career are useless. It's depressing.

I think Bog sees himself as a star. The guys that have NBA talent but know they could only reach the level of roll player in the NBA may be juat fine staying in Europe. BUT if you want to be considered one of the best in the world, only way to do that is by going head to head againat the best. No one will give much weight to a slew of Euro trophies. Splash 30 pts in LeBron face and get finals MVP leading your team to 1 NBA ring will mean multiple times more than any euro trophies.

He is at the stage in his career where he reached the heights of the Euro leagues amd there is nothing left to accomplish there. Only way to get a true measure of himself at this point is to pit himself against better competition.

Otherwise he would be like an undefeated boxer who refuses to ever fight anyone with a winning record. The undefeated record doesn't mean much until you face the best.

Last edited:
@capn what are the parameters of a declining long term deal?

I would love to give him one. 4 year deal, with an average of about 12mm per year. Over pay in year one and 2. Team option on year 4. Something like 15, 12, 10, 10. It would use cap we don't need this year and free up more space when hopefully we're good. If he doesn't work out we get off his deal after 3 and we over pay for that flexibility.

No one will give much weight to a slew of Euro trophies.
Well, basketball fans in Europe will. And, the most importantly, the fans to whom you bring the trophy. They look you as a God, chanting your name.... The passion about basketball is much bigger there, especially in countries like Turkey, where Bogdan is playing. One of the reasons some players choose to stay in Europe are because of the fans and that bond between fans and players...

In other reasons, i agree with you. If you are that good in Europe, at some point in your career you need to compete with the best players in the world. I hope Bogdan thinks in the same way....

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
@capn what are the parameters of a declining long term deal?

I would love to give him one. 4 year deal, with an average of about 12mm per year. Over pay in year one and 2. Team option on year 4. Something like 15, 12, 10, 10. It would use cap we don't need this year and free up more space when hopefully we're good. If he doesn't work out we get off his deal after 3 and we over pay for that flexibility.
Because he is not a "Bird" free agent, the maximum annual decline allowed in his contract would be 4.5%. So if we were to give him a contract that totaled 4/$48M as you suggest, the contract would pay out (rounded to nearest 100K) $12.8M, $12.3M, $11.7M, $11.2M. That would appear to be as steep as we could legally decline it. That's not really all that helpful, I don't think.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Our roster is almost all rookies and we've already blocked Bogdan's ideal starting spot with Buddy Hield which means we'll have to pay him generously to get him here and there's no reason not to pay him generously with so much cap space and so few roster spots remaining. This is the ideal year for him to come over. He'd be joining a young team with 9 other guys (!) more or less on equal footing in terms of NBA experience: De'Aaron, Frank, Buddy, Malachi, Justin, Skal, Harry, Willie, and Georgios. The longer he waits the further he falls behind and the harder it will be to establish himself and claim a starring role. Not to mention, he's got nothing more to prove where he's at. I hope he sees it that way. It should be fun to play on one of the youngest teams in the NBA and develop chemistry together as a group. This group is so young it would almost be like joining a college team.

how would you feel to play in a league where the best player (LeBron) travels three times out of four? It's like realizing all the stuff your learnt in your career are useless. It's depressing.
We all know that the rules have been relaxed more and more over the years, but this is a gross exaggeration. We also get that you love Euro ball and are gonna promote it. But regardless of your own personal feelings, the NBA is the top league in the world and any player worth his weight that doesn't mind relocating is going to want to play there.

We all know that the rules have been relaxed more and more over the years, but this is a gross exaggeration. We also get that you love Euro ball and are gonna promote it. But regardless of your own personal feelings, the NBA is the top league in the world and any player worth his weight that doesn't mind relocating is going to want to play there.
He's not wrong. NBA, for as skilled a league as it is, it is also a very commercial driven league with superstars getting special treatments, large or small, fair or unfair. No question it is the top league with the most skillful players, but its showmanship and individualism style don't always jive well with everyone.

He's not wrong. NBA, for as skilled a league as it is, it is also a very commercial driven league with superstars getting special treatments, large or small, fair or unfair. No question it is the top league with the most skillful players, but its showmanship and individualism style don't always jive well with everyone.
Regarding the exaggeration of LeBron and traveling, yes he is. With regard to the rest of what you've said here, nobody is saying otherwise. But it's a different topic altogether.

I mean, I'm not saying LeBron is the best cause he travels. Just to be clear.

Then, I'm saying if someone doesn't wanna play in the NBA it's not always because he's coward. Maybe he just prefers a different kind of basketball, different atmosphere, or other reasons. Bodiroga is a great example because won two Euroleagues in a row with two different teams, which is incredible. He won so many different national titles (Italian league, Greek League, Spanish League). He won in Indianapolis against team USA with his little country. Why does he have to prove anything? I regret his decision, especially because Sacramento has his right, but I don't think his career should be affected by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.