Bledsoe and Gay

dude12

Hall of Famer
Sure has been a lot of chatter in regards to these two from multiple sources but it some of it was Chad Ford-like in that the proposed deal was Bledsoe for Gay and 8. F to the no on that but if it was a straight deal of the two vets, then absolutely. I think the trade value for both guys is similar. Bledsoe is an injury risk at all times, but if he can stay healthy, it would be a high reward.

If that deal is true, it's probably the Suns looking to flip Gay for another asset.

Bledsoe is a top 15 scorer when healthy, and he's in his prime right now at 26. Gay is 29 and will highly likely opt out of his contract at the end of this year. No clue if he's coming back or not, but if things don't change(wins, coaches, FO, etc), I guarantee he's gone.

I'd love Bledsoe, and I can't help but feel like the Suns would rather have a younger PG(Dunn22/Baldwin20) alongside Booker 19.

Holy ****. Booker is only 19. WOW

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Yeah right to that one. Terrible deal. Probably would have that 2nd lotto pick coming back to the Kings as well. Even then it's sketchy.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If we had to add the 8th, then we would have to get the 13th OR the 28th and 34th. We did tryout a whole bunch of 2nd round types. Scott Howard Cooper was on twitter saying that there is no shortage of interest in Ben McLemore. Perhaps he could be part of this as well.

If the Suns get Dunn at 4, then Bledsoe absolutely is going to be on the trade block. Seems like a deal that could help both teams...just have to figure out the pieces.

Sure has been a lot of chatter in regards to these two from multiple sources but it some of it was Chad Ford-like in that the proposed deal was Bledsoe for Gay and 8. F to the no on that but if it was a straight deal of the two vets, then absolutely. I think the trade value for both guys is similar. Bledsoe is an injury risk at all times, but if he can stay healthy, it would be a high reward.
No, not at all. Bledsoe has way more value than Gay (who will be 30 and is an expiring). Suns would be hesitant to do Bledsoe for #8. We'd likely have to do a deal like....

Suns Get: #6
Suns Give: Bledsoe

Pelicans Get: #8 & Gay
Pelicans Give: #6, Pondexter, & Douglas

Kings Get: Bledsoe, Pondexter, & Douglas
Kings Give: #8 & Gay

Then you can make a Koufos/McLemore for D. Harris/McGee/#46 trade, and then send flip #46/#59/Belinelli for cap space. Then you give $77 mil over 4 years to Kent Bazemore (he's made only $5.2 mil in his career and is already 27. There's a very real possibility he chases the biggest paycheck & $77 mil might be the biggest offer he'd get) & $32 mil over 4 years to Solomon Hill. At this point, the Kings would have around $10.8 mil in cap space. If we're unsure about Collison playing, perhaps we trade Collison/Gudaitis for cap space which would then give us around $16 mil in cap space. Then you give $44 mil over 3 years to Ryan Anderson, $6.25 mil over 3 years to Acy, & sign Matt Barnes and Beno Udrih to the minimum.

PG - Bledsoe/D. Harris/Douglas/Udrih
SG - Bazemore/Pondexter/Barnes
SF - Casspi/S. Hill/Butler
PF - Cauley-Stein/R. Anderson/Acy
C - Cousins/McGee

Chad Ford's proposed Kings deal was Cousins & #8 in a 3 way trade that brought back Steven Adams, Cameron Payne and Tyreke Evans.

I don't know that I've actually seen a Bledsoe/Gay deal from a major publication or website but there has been lots of chatter that the Suns love Dunn (whose agent was steering him away from Phoenix and other teams that already have young PGs) and that Bledsoe wants out of Phoenix.

I don't think Phoenix would actually want Gay so it would likely have to be a three way deal.

I think we'd need their second lottery pick or their late picks for this to work.

Bledsoe for Gay is pretty even in the sense that both guys are 20 ppg players, and arguably are not players who can carry a team on their back. They are second or third options on a contender. It ultimately works out well for them:

PG: Knight / Dunn (#4)
SG: Booker / Goodwin / Jenkins
SF: Gay / Warren / Tucker
PF: Chriss (#8) / Williams
C: Chandler / Len

Obviously they'd have money to spend in free agency, but that's a good base with two new top ten picks and the addition of Rudy Gay. If they keep their late lottery pick they can add another useful player, perhaps doubling down on PF prospects with Skal, Ellenson or Davis. They'd be pretty set going forwards and could always draft Jaylen Brown with one of their top ten picks to give them Gay's successor if they want to move on from him or have insurance if he leaves, then use that late lottery pick on the PF prospect. Lots of options if they did a deal with us.

Chad Ford's proposed Kings deal was Cousins & #8 in a 3 way trade that brought back Steven Adams, Cameron Payne and Tyreke Evans.

I don't know that I've actually seen a Bledsoe/Gay deal from a major publication or website but there has been lots of chatter that the Suns love Dunn (whose agent was steering him away from Phoenix and other teams that already have young PGs) and that Bledsoe wants out of Phoenix.

I don't think Phoenix would actually want Gay so it would likely have to be a three way deal.
Considering they start PJ Tucker they could do with an upgrade at SF. He's a decent role player, but Gay would help them with his 20 ppg. I think Gay would be a good fit for them if they want a proven player, since they are unlikely to lure LeBron or Durant. So Gay is more realistic, either him or the injury prone Parsons or betting on Barnes to break out.

I think we'd need their second lottery pick or their late picks for this to work.

Bledsoe for Gay is pretty even in the sense that both guys are 20 ppg players, and arguably are not players who can carry a team on their back. They are second or third options on a contender. It ultimately works out well for them:

PG: Knight / Dunn (#4)
SG: Booker / Goodwin / Jenkins
SF: Gay / Warren / Tucker
PF: Chriss (#8) / Williams
C: Chandler / Len

Obviously they'd have money to spend in free agency, but that's a good base with two new top ten picks and the addition of Rudy Gay. If they keep their late lottery pick they can add another useful player, perhaps doubling down on PF prospects with Skal, Ellenson or Davis. They'd be pretty set going forwards and could always draft Jaylen Brown with one of their top ten picks to give them Gay's successor if they want to move on from him or have insurance if he leaves, then use that late lottery pick on the PF prospect. Lots of options if they did a deal with us.
Bledsoe is 26.
Gay is 30.

Bledsoe is locked up for 3 more years (which will be his prime years) on a very affordable contract
Gay is an expiring (he's not taking the Player Option unless he plays very poorly/gets injured)

Bledsoe is an elite defender
Gay is an average defender at best

I'm sorry, but Kings fans are either overvaluing Gay (as a player/contract) or undervaluing Bledsoe.

Bledsoe is 26.
Gay is 30.

Bledsoe is locked up for 3 more years (which will be his prime years) on a very affordable contract
Gay is an expiring (he's not taking the Player Option unless he plays very poorly/gets injured)

I'm sorry, but Kings fans are either overvaluing Gay (as a player/contract) or undervaluing Bledsoe.
Fair point about age difference, contracts and defense. That gives Bledsoe the edge, hence why I didn't suggest a straight swap. But Rudy Gay as a veteran SF that averages 20 ppg is still a valuable player in this league if you surround him with players that can make up for his average defense.

I would be fine with Bledsoe for Gay + #8, it gives them another young prospect to add to their team and a veteran scorer, while it gives us the answer at PG. Though if we could get their late lottery pick or late first round pick that would be a bonus and gets us a prospect of our own.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Bledsoe is 26.
Gay is 30.

Your ignoring Bledsoe's injury history....you can't do that when figuring out his value. Injury history v older aged player but its not like Rudy is 33. Factoring in a swapping of picks could help in making a deal. Especially 8 and 13 which looks to be even talent. I think the 2 lower picks from PHX and the 8th could get it done.

Your ignoring Bledsoe's injury history....you can't do that when figuring out his value. Injury history v older aged player but its not like Rudy is 33. Factoring in a swapping of picks could help in making a deal. Especially 8 and 13 which looks to be even talent. I think the 2 lower picks from PHX and the 8th could get it done.
This. Injury history is everything with Bledsoe. Can he stay healthy? I have no idea.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't know if I am willing to take a chance on Bledsoe staying healthy throughout the season, there are other PG options on the market. Vlade and company need to make some calls and see what they can dangle out there.

Oh no I am considering it. I'd rather have a top 10 PG entering his prime on an affordable 3 year deal vs. a 30 year old, expiring Gay.

Bledsoe's knee surgery should not affect his athleticism as it was a meniscus tear. Yeah, he's had his share of injuries, but his potential, skill level, age, & contract are all advantage Bledsoe.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Was reported that PHX was prepared to pair Bledsoe with a lottery pick to get Gordan Hayward. PHX is determined to trade Bledsoe or Knight before training camp. A Gay for Bledsoe deal is a real possibility..... Seems tome that they want out of the Bledsoe contract, Bledsoe's value is down a bit and they want Dunn with pick 4.

Was reported that PHX was prepared to pair Bledsoe with a lottery pick to get Gordan Hayward. PHX is determined to trade Bledsoe or Knight before training camp. A Gay for Bledsoe deal is a real possibility..... Seems tome that they want out of the Bledsoe contract, Bledsoe's value is down a bit and they want Dunn with pick 4.
Hayward is much better than Gay though. The lotto pick was 100% #13 .

I don't think Gay for Bledsoe gets it done. Gay is not what they need. Suns are looking to rebuild with younger pieces. Gay is just going to jog the ball away from Booker/Dunn.

I don't think Gay for Bledsoe gets it done. Gay is not what they need. Suns are looking to rebuild with younger pieces. Gay is just going to jog the ball away from Booker/Dunn.
Yes and no. I doubt Dunn is a high level scorer at the NBA level and while Rudy's post up, midrange ISO game hurts the Kings spacing, it'd actually be a plus for the Suns as it would open up the perimeter a bit for their guards.

That's not to say I think Gay is equal value for Bledsoe, just that he could be a pretty decent fit with Dunn/Booker/Knight

So if they get Dunn at the 4 and they want to trade Bledsoe , Then Gay plus (One of BenMac, Belli or Kosta) for Bledsoe and #13 (one can dream?)

Then use #8 and #13 and a FA to fill holes
EG: if its BenMac

Bledsoe, Collison Curry
FA SG, Belli
Casspi, Jaylen Brown(#8), Butler
Coz, Kosta, Acy
WCS, #13 (Labissiere or Ellenson)

So if they get Dunn at the 4 and they want to trade Bledsoe , Then Gay plus (One of BenMac, Belli or Kosta) for Bledsoe and #13 (one can dream?)

Then use #8 and #13 and a FA to fill holes
EG: if its BenMac

Bledsoe, Collison Curry
FA SG, Belli
Casspi, Jaylen Brown(#8), Butler
Coz, Kosta, Acy
WCS, #13 (Labissiere or Ellenson)
or maybe change Bledsoe to Knight instead for same deal?

Rumors say Phoenix wants to trade Bledsoe OR Knight before next season