Blazers want Conley too?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...LYF?slug=aw-blazers052407&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Portland's 'point' of view
td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
May 24, 2007

Twenty-four hours had yet to pass on the draft lottery transformation of the Portland Trail Blazers, and general manager Kevin Pritchard and his staff already had brainstormed a most intriguing idea: If they're going to draft Greg Oden, they should take a hard look at making a trade to get Mike Conley Jr. to come with him.

So the discussion is under way, a source close to the team and Oden said Wednesday night, about trading into the top of the lottery for a second draft pick to secure the franchise center's personal point guard. It would be a brilliant, bold stroke for the Blazers G.M., and here's the thing: Pritchard has the parts and the imagination to make it happen.

He's on a professional roll, what with drafting LaMarcus Aldridge and trading for rookie of the year Brandon Roy. And now, against all odds, he won the No. 1 pick in the June 28 draft.

Does Pritchard have enough with Zach Randolph, a 20-and-10 low post scorer and rebounder, and Jarrett Jack, a competent point guard, as the backbone of a major trade? As it looks now, the Blazers are determined to find out.

Oden and Conley have been together through AAU and high school ball in Indiana and a Final Four season at Ohio State. Before they even won the lottery Tuesday, the Blazers had done enough research on Oden to understand that to get the most out of this mild-mannered Midwestern prodigy he needs to be comfortable. He never has played without his best friend, Conley, who happens to be the best point guard in the draft.

Already Conley and Oden, who flew to Oregon on Wednesday for a meeting at Nike, privately are discussing the possibility of Portland crafting a deal to keep them together. While Oden understands it's still something of a reach, the fact that the Blazers immediately thought of trying to get Conley thrilled Oden.

After talking with confidants about Portland winning the No. 1 pick, Oden expressed relief that he was going to a smaller market. He never has been enamored with the bright lights and big city. He was born in Buffalo, raised in Indianapolis and had little appetite for the suffocating pressures of, say, Boston.

As for the Celtics, who sit miserably at No. 5, they logically should be one of the Blazers' most promising trade partners. Without Oden or Kevin Durant, G.M. Danny Ainge is wisest to look hard at packaging his pick and a young player or two for veterans. Yet there is the pending problem of Ainge agreeing to do a major trade with the Blazers after that draft-day disaster a year ago that left them without Roy or Randy Foye – and with Sebastian Telfair. Another issue muddling this possibility is that Randolph is too similar to the Celtics' Al Jefferson.

Even so, if Ainge is going to get duped again, you'd figure he isn't going to let it be Pritchard.

Truth be told, the Blazers might have to get the third overall pick out of Atlanta's hands to guarantee that they can get Conley. The Hawks could get their point guard at No. 9 with Acie Law and use the third pick to bring back a powerful inside presence in Randolph. Of course, Atlanta may not have the salaries to give back for the maxed-out Randolph, and that's where a third team could be useful.

Together, Oden and Conley are represented by Mike Conley Sr., who has aligned himself with Bill Duffy's BDA Management. Duffy is a powerbroker agent who can facilitate the kind of major trade needed to happen here, one which likely will need the involvement of a third team.

Whatever happens, Pritchard's imagination started churning the moment that pingpong ball bounced the Blazers' way Tuesday night. He's going to go through the motions of evaluating Oden and Durant, but it's inevitable he'll choose the center over the forward. As it looks now, his real work between now and draft day could come with getting Oden's personal point guard to the Blazers, too. It would be some story, some future.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the national NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports. Send Adrian a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast
So the question is, would they entertain trading away Aldridge in order to get Conley? And if yes, would you trade pick 10 (assuming Conley is available at 10) to Blazers for Aldridge?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...LYF?slug=aw-blazers052407&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

So the question is, would they entertain trading away Aldridge in order to get Conley? And if yes, would you trade pick 10 (assuming Conley is available at 10) to Blazers for Aldridge?
I am pretty sure the blazers won't trade Aldrigde. The article stated and almost everybody nows if the blazers do make a trade it will be Zach. I think if a trade does occur it will be with boston at 5 or Chi town at 9. Boston needs a vet to keep Pierce and Chi town needs a big that could score.

I am pretty sure the blazers won't trade Aldrigde. The article stated and almost everybody nows if the blazers do make a trade it will be Zach. I think if a trade does occur it will be with boston at 5 or Chi town at 9. Boston needs a vet to keep Pierce and Chi town needs a big that could score.
I have a hard time seeing ANY lotto team give up their pick for Zach Randolph though...Aldridge is their best bet in reality to get that lotto pick.

I have a hard time seeing ANY lotto team give up their pick for Zach Randolph though...Aldridge is their best bet in reality to get that lotto pick.
Aldridge is still unproven and needs growth. Boston needs a guy right now that can score to keep Pierce and Bull needs a guy who could give them something right away in the post. I don't think neither teams needs a player that is unproven and is a couple a year away. Also add that Zach is a 20 and 10 plus player.

Aldridge is still unproven and needs growth. Boston needs a guy right now that can score to keep Pierce and Bull needs a guy who could give them something right away in the post. I don't think neither teams needs a player that is unproven and is a couple a year away. Also add that Zach is a 20 and 10 plus player.
In Boston Zach duplicates Al Jefferson and I don't think Chicago would be a good fit for him. Zach and Skiles would kill each other.

In Boston Zach duplicates Al Jefferson and I don't think Chicago would be a good fit for him. Zach and Skiles would kill each other.
I doubt the Bulls would go for Zach too, but of any top 10 team I think they'd be the most likely...Boston has no need for zachie-poo whatsoever...they need to address the 1 and the 5.

isn't there a good chance that the hawks will pick up conley at #3, since they're in such dire need of a PG? wouldn't that mean the blazers would have to get that pick or the #2 to get the pairing of oden and conley???

I think they would give up Aldridge to get a second pick. Why not? This is the chance to have the PG, and C for 10 years! They have played together so they know how to get each other the ball. This wouldn't be like getting seperate rookie pieces. They are a matched pair, and will play well together in the pros.

If I was Portland I wouldn't make any piece "untouchable" (except Roy the R.O.Y.) in trying to aquire the pieces. You will have the two hardes positions to fill filled with players who can play together, and that have good chemistry. This is a HUGE stepping stone for Portland if they get this done.

BTW, like my Roy the R.O.Y. comment? lol just off the top of my head :D

isn't there a good chance that the hawks will pick up conley at #3, since they're in such dire need of a PG? wouldn't that mean the blazers would have to get that pick or the #2 to get the pairing of oden and conley???
No, Atlanta would be dumb to get Conley at #3. I can see them taking a big, than if for some reason Conley is available at their next pick then they will bite. If not than I can see them taking Law.

What's weird about this is that I never really felt like Conley and Oden brought out the best in each other on the court. I know they're best friends and everything, but it always seemed like Conley was at his best when Oden wasn't on the floor and Oden was at his best when Conley wasn't on the floor. In the games I watched, Conley was never making sensational entry passes or anything like that, and Oden wasn't setting Conley up for easy scores. They were just sort of on the court together.

I doubt Portland would want to trade with the Kings because #10 is probably too low to guarantee Conley will be available, but the higher Conley is picked the better it is for the Kings because it could help one of the good bigs slide down to the #10 if other teams like Milwaukee or Charlotte are going for a small forward.

Milwaukee has to be going for a PF... That is the spot they need to fill first. Their PF rotation was as bad as ours!

Charlotte does not need a SF/SG... They have Wallace, and Morrison. May would be the first guy I think they might replace.

I see Yi, Noah, Horford, Wright all being taken before #10. The only way to nab one of those four is to get a higher pick.

That would mean trading a player (i.e. Bibby/Artest) and our #10 to a team that does not mind moving down a couple picks to get a vet in return. I can see Atlanta, Boston, Minnesota possibly trading their pick to us for a player and #10.

Milwaukee has to be going for a PF... That is the spot they need to fill first. Their PF rotation was as bad as ours!

Charlotte does not need a SF/SG... They have Wallace, and Morrison. May would be the first guy I think they might replace.

I see Yi, Noah, Horford, Wright all being taken before #10. The only way to nab one of those four is to get a higher pick.

That would mean trading a player (i.e. Bibby/Artest) and our #10 to a team that does not mind moving down a couple picks to get a vet in return. I can see Atlanta, Boston, Minnesota possibly trading their pick to us for a player and #10.

Wallace is a FA and Morrison was disappointing...I could easily see the Bobcats go for a wing player...I bet they hope Brewer falls to them...if not a Center like Hawes/Noah would probably be next on their list.

I don't think Boston takes Conley. However I don't believe Conley will get past the bucks, according to some reports they're already high on him. They may have to get the no.3 pick which would be almost impossible since Atlanta wouldn't be getting a pick in return.

A

AriesMar27

why would the bucks, celtics, bobcats, twolves or hawks take conley?

okay, maybe the hawks would but that'd be stupid.... i doubt that the grizz would either... but you never know...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I would imagine that Aldridge, Roy, Oden are the core of cores there. With various other young guys (Webster, Outlaw etc.) likely lesser parts of the puzzle. And as mentioned in another thread, going after Conley might make sense to create one of the more remarkable young cores I've seen -- your starting PG (Conley), OG (Roy), PF (Aldridge) and C (Oden) all in their first two years in the league and high lottery picks??? Good lord. In 3-4 years the team will be a monster. And if Outlaw or Webster blossoms at SF, it even gets more ridiculous.

So I doubt Aldridge is available -- why would he be? He's the perfect PF for them. Randolph however, as the article suggests, might very well be. And that is where we could beomce involved...maybe unfortunately. We have a pick in the Conley area. Of course the mroe logical partner is Chicago, who has both a burning need, and a pick, and only a jerk of a coach as a caution.

Bricklayer

I don't think Boston takes Conley. However I don't believe Conley will get past the bucks, according to some reports they're already high on him. They may have to get the no.3 pick which would be almost impossible since Atlanta wouldn't be getting a pick in return.
Bucks are idiots, but what would they need wioht their 17th PG? They've already smallballed their team into perennial sucktitude as is. Do they actually LIKE the all softie Villanueva/Bogut frontcourt? Its young, sure. But young and butter soft.

I would imagine that Aldridge, Roy, Oden are the core of cores there.
Yep, I see little advantage to trading Aldridge, and Atlanta is the one team with an early draft pick which has the cap room to legally take Randolph in trade. Which is why the article proposes exactly that trade, and that trade only. Charlotte is the other team that could afford it, but their #8 pick might be too late.

I can't see this scenario involving Aldridge, or involving us. Portland is not exactly a desperate team right now.

Bucks are idiots, but what would they need wioht their 17th PG? They've already smallballed their team into perennial sucktitude as is. Do they actually LIKE the all softie Villanueva/Bogut frontcourt? Its young, sure. But young and butter soft.
They probably don't see the bigs other than Noah falling to them. They'll probably try to trade up with Atlanta.

Bricklayer

The way I see it, the Blazers only shot to nabbing Conley is by dealing Aldridge...I think they'll have to choose 1 of the 2.

Why would you say this?

Conley is not a Top 5 pick. And Portland has this huge trading chip in Randolph, who was only 20-10 last year. As well as all kinds of young guys sitting around not named Aldridge. They can call us, Chicago, Minnesota, Charlotte, Milwaulkee...almost everybody in the back half of the Top 10 and not have to worry about anyone hanging up on them without listening to the offer.

Getting Conley for them should be as easy as them just deciding to do it. Their position is amazingly strong actually.

Why would you say this?

Conley is not a Top 5 pick. And Portland has this huge trading chip in Randolph, who was only 20-10 last year. As well as all kinds of young guys sitting around not named Aldridge. They can call us, Chicago, Minnesota, Charlotte, Milwaulkee...almost everybody in the back half of the Top 10 and not have to worry about anyone hanging up on them without listening to the offer.

Getting Conley for them should be as easy as them just deciding to do it. Their position is amazingly strong actually.
Eh, lets not forget that Randolph has been a character problem in his career, has a huge contract, and is absolutely worthless defensively. I can maybe see Charlotte doing that, but does Conley fall past Milwaukee? I think they're better off sticking with Jack and Sergio and then trading Randolph for Shard or Richard Jefferson. They'll make some noise right away with that team.

^^ everybody here basically in agreement that the hawks won't take conley at #3? i mean, i know he's not top 5 material, but are you betting on the hawks making the logical choice??

Why would you say this?

I really hope Petrie doesn't think Randolph is Kings material. I really don't want that guy on our team. I think stats like his are largely part of the Blazers sucking. I don't see him being that type of player on the Kings if we were to get him. I wouldn't even trade #10 for Randolph. I would consider Aldridge and another player for one of our players, and our pick.

Bricklayer

I would consider Aldridge and another player for one of our players, and our pick.
Unfortunately I sincerely doubt the Blazers would. The plan up there is not hard to divine, and its absolutely correct. They are going to have the best young team in basketball. its something the Clippers tried there for years, but could never get right. But with Oden in the middle, Aldridge as a 6'11" PF wingman, the ROY at OG, and then Mike Conley at PG, the core is positively drool worthy. They have no reason to break it up.

And Zach...whiel I have never liked him myself, he went 23.6pts 10.1rebs last year. 24 and 10 is huge. HUGE. I do not think you will have to worry about him coming to us simply because we are pikcing too late to guarantee Conley, and Portland will get one of a number of teams ahead of us to bite. What, if you are Milwaulkee and accepted Ruben Patterson in a trade from the Blazers you are now going to quail at Randolph? (Ruben being gone as a FA, so no locker room issue there). You are going to say no to the 26 yr old 24 and 10 guy for your 12 and 6 oft injured weenie you have there now? I doubt it. 24 and 10 in the West. In the East, that's an All Star right there, and Redd and Randolph together, along with a resigned Williams, healthy Simmons, Bogut etc. = likely playoff push. Or same deal with Charlotte. Okafor/Randolph/Wallace as a frontline? In the East that's nasty. And of course Chicago. Attitude aside, Zach is exactly what they have been looking for. They will get no better offer, no cheaper alternative (in picks/players given up) for a major post star. It could launch them right to the top of the division.

The problem is with Randolph is that could you depend on him to give you those numbers every year? Will he keep himself in shape? Will he put forth the work? These are the character questions he has been surrounded with his whole career.

Bricklayer

The problem is with Randolph is that could you depend on him to give you those numbers every year? Will he keep himself in shape? Will he put forth the work? These are the character questions he has been surrounded with his whole career.

Much as I think Randolph is all kinds of shaky as a character, his production is hard to question. pretty much you had him 1st year, 2nd year, growing, getting better. Thrid year explodes out as a 20 and 10 guy. Then the knee injury year. Then the recover from the knee injury year (and its microfracture, so lots of guys have that down year) where the numbers were down, and then feeling healthy again he's back to 20-10. There haven't been any dips not related to that big injury.