BLACK & BLUE - Strange way our eyes process color

I usually post this type of nonsense in the "There is no topic" but thought this image warranted its own thread since it's been causing all sorts of discussion all over the web.

This image isn't an animated gif that changes over time or a symptom of colorblindness. The following image is a black and blue dress. My girlfriend can only see this dress as white and gold. Earlier today I looked at the same image several times and it was also white and gold. When I returned home tonight it was briefly gold and white but instantly shifted to black and blue at my second glance.

So what color are you seeing?

Blue and black... I can see where the black might be washed out as something lighter, but my brain is interpreting it as "it should be black". I have no idea how the blue can be anything other than blue though.

When I was shown the images earlier by my girlfriend I saw it as pure white and light gold. I dismissed what she was trying to tel me since I was busy at the time. When I arrived home later after a meeting she brought up the image again and it was the same color but after glancing away I saw it as it's true washed out black and blue.

You should definitely come back and view it at a different time of day or come back from a dark outside environment into a lit room like I did and see if anything changes. It's a very strange feeling when that happens.

Here's an article that elaborates on it
http://gizmodo.com/what-the-****-is-wrong-with-your-eyes-a-dress-explaine-1688364883

It's white and gold.

It's always been white and gold, it's only ever been white and gold.

It's so white and gold that the whole debate annoys me. The fact it's a debate annoys me.

White and gold. The image is back-lit, the dress is in shadow, the yellow light theory is hooey.

Gadget has spoken.

I was annoyed that others had said they'd been able to see it as black and blue, since I hadn't been able to. But then, one time, for just a second on some random website, I saw it as black and blue.

And then, just now, it happened again. I had scrolled past the picture to read the posts, then scrolled up just a tiny bit to reveal a small part of the bottom of the image. At that point it looked black and blue. After a couple more small scrolls upward, it was white and gold again.

Pretty cool effect.

If I squint real hard, it becomes black and blue. Other than that, it has been white and gold for me, and I have seen it quite a few times at different parts of the day.

I wish I could see the gold and white again. After my eyes adjusted I haven't been able to see those colors on the dress since.

Also my girlfriend looked over my shoulder when I was posting this and she was amazed to see blue and black for the first time. Her vision seems to be able to shift back and forth between the two sets of colors.