Best Beaches In Northern California?

N

Nikefutbolero

Best Beaches In Northern California/Central Coast?

What do you guys think are the best beaches? Anywhere from bodega bay to big sur.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a recent Humboldt resident, I feel it's my duty to smugly point out that the area from Bodega Bay to Big Sur is not in Northern California.

The best beaches I've found within the upper half of the state are all in the area of Trinidad. Gorgeous.

Close to Santa Cruz is one answer. Those beaches are open and beautiful, the sand is wonderful but it is a tourist attraction in that area. Look for smaller townships around SC.

It depends on the kind of "beach" you want and what you want to do. Surf, dive, swim, sunbathe, tide-pooling, picnic, camp out, hike, see certain widlife (elephant seals), etc. I grew up in SoCal so I happen to think northern California beaches are too cold, the water mainly, but the weather can be nippy even in summer. On the other hand, I love the generally rockier beaches, rugged coast in NorCal for their scenic beauty.

In NorCal (or call it the central coast), I'd say Santa Cruz is awfully nice. Cold water, but kind of a meld of SoCal and NorCal beaches. I like it there in the summer. Of course, I like the boardwalk, too. I love roller coasters.

I adore the headlands of Mendocino. Sunset sitting on the headlands is great. I actually like fall and winter there. You can bundle up in a nice warm sweater, walk the beaches and trails, eat great seafood near a blazing fire. :)

One State Beach that's supposed to be less croweded and nice is Manresa State Beach. I've never been there, but I'd like to see it. It's south of Aptos (below Santa Cruz).

A lot of Bay Area folk would claim Stinson Beach as nice beach to go to, but I don't know it very well.

My two favorite beaches in all of California are Coronado Beach in San Diego County and Avila Beach in San Luis Obispo County. Avila is a little over 5 hours from Sac so maybe it could be considered as a Nor Cal area. It's sandwiched, hidden (locals secret) between tourist traps Morro Bay and Pismo Beach. Avila is sooo coool and it's blanketed by tall cliffs baked by sun so water often isn't all that cold. Up north, I like Santa Cruz as so-called sunny side of the bay but for pure beauty of beach and wilderness, Russian Gulch State Park near Mendocino is my fave. When it's 105F in Sac in July/August I love to drive there (about 4 hrs) and walk on the pristine beach (to cold to skinny dip!) or bike ride along forested 3 mi. park trail where it will sure to be around perfect 65-72F.

N

Nikefutbolero

As a recent Humboldt resident, I feel it's my duty to smugly point out that the area from Bodega Bay to Big Sur is not in Northern California.

The best beaches I've found within the upper half of the state are all in the area of Trinidad. Gorgeous.
Actually man, I have been to Humboldt county but I never visited any of the beaches. I do think Humboldt is one of the most beautiful parts of CA.

N

Nikefutbolero

Yo Kennadog, so you're from SoCal huh? When I went to San Diego I loved the beaches there, I also loved Laguna Beach and Dana Point. Anyway as far as the beaches up are concerned, what I'm looking for is just a beautiful beach with soft sand and nice scenery. I wouldn't go in the water because the beaches up here aren't really for swimming. I just want to relax on the beach with my girl and enjoy the beauty of the coast. Something not too crowded and more private. My 6 year anniversary is coming up with her and we just wanted to do something low-key. Last year we went to Tahoe and spent a lot of money and this year I just want it to be more about us and less about the place we're at.

Nikefutbolero: San Diego is beautiful and the beaches are, too. Actually, any of the beaches from Ventura County on down are pretty darn nice.

I lived in SoCal from about age 2 1/2 to 15. Then moved up to NorCal. I feel more like a NorCal native now, since I've been up here 45 years. :)