Bee: NBA Draft: Scouting the power forwards

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/241804.html

NBA Draft: Scouting the power forwards

By Scott Howard-Cooper - Bee Staff Writer

Last Updated 2:24 am PDT Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C3
Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)| Digg it | del.icio.us

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Brandan Wright of North Carolina is the great possibility, a power forward reminiscent of Chris Bosh at a similar stage, a fluid, athletic big man.
Joakim Noah is the hair and the heritage, the son of former tennis star Yannick Noah and a Miss Sweden who with his energetic play, gregarious personality and ponytail became the most recognized member of Florida's back-to-back NCAA title teams.

Yi Jianlian is the gamble, a prospect with a high upside, but also a prospect from China, where competition is weak and birth dates are considered untrustworthy by NBA front offices.

Al Horford is none of those. He is, to the contrary, the most ready, the safest bet among prospects at power forward, starting with a pro body and an aggressive inside game to match.

Horford played on the same college team as Noah but often in the shadow of the player who might have gone No. 1 had he entered the 2006 draft. Now, Horford should go several picks before Noah and also ahead of another Gators teammate, small forward Corey Brewer. Meanwhile, Noah has been so heavily scrutinized that some teams rate him a difference maker because of an expected impact on defense and others downgrade him to a probable role player unworthy of being taken in the top 10.

"I think it's very good, the level of talent we have in this draft," Horford said of the power forwards. "It's very exciting."

The top of the depth chart at the position:

Al Horford, 6-foot-10, Florida, junior: It became obvious midway through the push to the Gators' second national title that Horford had passed the more publicized Joakim Noah as a draft prospect. Horford plays physically, handles the ball well for a big man and makes the right pass.

Yi Jianlian, 6-11: Skilled and aggressive on offense, with enough mobility and ballhandling skills that some observers could see him playing small forward at that end of the court, though initially he will get pushed around on defense by true power forwards. Given the chance to use the workouts to prove that his client will stand up well to the huge jump in competition, Yi's agent has gone to great lengths to avoid any such comparison. Yi was even the only projected lottery pick to refuse to so much as take a physical in the recent pre-draft camp.

Brandan Wright, 6-9, North Carolina, freshman: He has very good mobility for his size and long arms, the makings of a future inside force as a shot blocker and in getting his own shot. Wright is only about 200 pounds, though, lighter than some of the top prospects at shooting guard, so it will be a lottery pick on potential.

Joakim Noah, 6-11, Florida, junior: With his limitless energy, bouncy personality and ability to handle the spotlight, Noah is destined to become a fan favorite in his next home city. But he's so weak offensively that his offense will be whatever comes on rebounds and loose balls.

Jason Smith, Colorado State, 7-0, junior: A big 2006-07 -- his rebounding average jumped from 7.3 as a sophomore to 10.1, ninth in the country -- has Smith quickly moving up draft boards. His offense was impressive all along with a nice shooting touch, good mobility for a big man and solid fundamentals.

Kings' needs: Not as pressing as other positions, even though Kenny Thomas turns 30 next month, and Shareef Abdur-Rahim is 30, and neither averaged better than 9.9 points (Abdur-Rahim) or 6.1 rebounds (Thomas).

Who the hell is this nuff nuff?! Kings need for a PF is not as pressing as others?! I'll have some of what he is having!
[/FONT]

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Kings' needs: Not as pressing as other positions, even though Kenny Thomas turns 30 next month, and Shareef Abdur-Rahim is 30, and neither averaged better than 9.9 points (Abdur-Rahim) or 6.1 rebounds (Thomas).[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]

Uh...what the hell?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Buyer's Remorse

The more I read about Yi, and now B. Wright, the more I get buyer's remorse. It really concerns me that Yi has protected himself so much in his workouts. Why? What has he to hide? A workout against chairs? Is that what a competitor does? The knock on him of not facing major competition is no small thing. What would really concern me is that he just doesn't have the inner fortitude to compete at the highest level. Wright's build concerns me. It's one thing to be 200 lb power forward who can add bulk, but his shoulders are tiny. Maybe he's a Jermaine O'Neal, maybe not.

I don't know about the Kings passing on Yi, but Ainge has got to have the sweats if he's pondering Yi at #5. That's probably one reason why he's working desperately on another deal that unloads #5, this time for J. O'Neal.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The more I read about Yi, and now B. Wright, the more I get buyer's remorse. It really concerns me that Yi has protected himself so much in his workouts. Why? What has he to hide? A workout against chairs? Is that what a competitor does? The knock on him of not facing major competition is no small thing. What would really concern me is that he just doesn't have the inner fortitude to compete at the highest level. Wright's build concerns me. It's one thing to be 200 lb power forward who can add bulk, but his shoulders are tiny. Maybe he's a Jermaine O'Neal, maybe not.

I don't know about the Kings passing on Yi, but Ainge has got to have the sweats if he's pondering Yi at #5. That's probably one reason why he's working desperately on another deal that unloads #5, this time for J. O'Neal.
Okay! You've put your finger on one of the things that worries me about Yi! Thank you...

Now, about Howard-Cooper. He was taken off the Kings beat by the Bee for a couple of years. If he's saying the Kings have bigger pressing needs than finding a decent power forward, I think it's time for them (the Bee) to revisit the decision to bring him back...