BEE: Kings Notes: Williams remains in the U.S., earns his return ticket

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/104185.html

By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer

Last Updated 12:02 am PST Sunday, January 7, 2007

Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C3

Ronnie Price sat on the Kings' bench before Saturday's game at Arco Arena when newly signed big man Justin Williams walked his way.

"You been hitting the gym?" Price asked.

Williams smiled and flexed his right arm.

"Does it look like it?" he answered.

The rookie product out of Wyoming not only is back but bigger (220 pounds vs. 211 during training camp) and, the Kings hope, better. After Williams was cut by the Kings during training camp, his road back to Sacramento went through Bismarck, N.D., where he was the best of his kind for the Wizards of the NBA Development League the past two months.

Williams went after every rebound and loose ball as if his first guaranteed NBA contract were hidden inside and tried to block any shot that stood between him and his dream. Williams, who signed a 10-day contract Friday, said he's glad he chose to play in the D-League rather than head overseas.

"It was a real big decision to stay (in America), especially with the offers I was getting," said Williams, who was inactive for Saturday's game against Portland. "But I was confident I could go out there and work hard and someone would pick me up."

Williams was tempted to go for the money, he said, especially when a team based in North Koreaoffered $40,000 per month compared with approximately $4,000 per month in the D-League.

He led the league in blocks (3.08 per game) and rebounds (12.3), and scored 12.1
points per game. The weight gain, Williams said, was part working out and part dieting.

Becoming more comfortable with the offensive nuances of the game also was part of the improvement plan.

"I learned a lot about taking my time in the offenses, setting screens and rolling hard and getting game exposure," Williams said. "It was great competition. And getting that playing time, almost 30 minutes a game, helped me tremendously. I don't think it's going to be that tough (to adjust to the Kings' system). I've got my work cut out for me, but I feel real confident."

A big board - Shareef Abdur-Rahim pulled down the 6,000th rebound of his 11-year career in the first quarter against Portland.

The forward started in place of Brad Miller, who missed Thursday's game with the flu and didn't enter play against the Trail Blazers until 3:30 remained in the first quarter.

Abdur-Rahim's glory years on the boards were from 1999 to 2004, when he averaged between 8.4 and 10.1 rebounds.

"I learned a lot about taking my time in the offenses, setting screens and rolling hard and getting game exposure," Williams said. "It was great competition. And getting that playing time, almost 30 minutes a game, helped me tremendously. I don't think it's going to be that tough (to adjust to the Kings' system). I've got my work cut out for me, but I feel real confident."
this sounds good. i like the confidence.

again, welcome back justin

Entity

Hall of Famer
Geoff Petrie. You have to have cohesion between the system a coach runs and the type of players you have. GP has done nothing to get us an inside DEFENSIVE pressence. Instead he gets Taylor. You can't run a defensive oriented team with absolutley NO defense in the front court. All of our front court players are below average defenders. So if your last line of defense is weak so is you overall defense. Until GP decides to make the right moves to get us an inside pressence taller than 6'7 we will not be able to stop anybody with a legitimate scoring big.

Gary

All-Star
For all the people that say "blah blah blah big deal D-League blah blah never amount to anything scrub blah blah" I say poo on you..

This guy has the desire to play in the NBA, and shows passion for the game. He is what is RIGHT in sports today. He layed it all out in the D-League to get his shot in the NBA and to the same team after being cut a couple months earlier.

I say we give the guy a chance, and let him play.