Bee: Kings eye Hedo reunion

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/256061.html
Kings eye a Hedo reunion

A source says trade talks -- Ron Artest is a likely candidate -- have been held.
By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, July 4, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C3
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
Playing for the Kings isn't what it used to be.

The playoff streak, of course, was stopped at eight consecutive seasons last April. And with three coaches in the past three seasons, the Kings can't exactly boast about stability to players considering coming to Sacramento.

Nonetheless, the competition for roster spots might be more intense than ever. Only nine players have guaranteed contracts for next season, giving free agents and summer-league standouts a chance to make the roster.

But the Kings' roster retooling appears to include an attempt to bring a former player back via trade.

According to a league source, the Kings recently contacted Orlando about Hedo Turkoglu. The small forward, entering his eighth season, began his career in Sacramento in 2000 and was part of a three-team trade in 2003 that sent him to San Antonio.

The source would not go on record for fear of repercussion.

The most likely King to be offered in a deal would be small forward Ron Artest, whose $7.8 million salary for the 2007-08 campaign is close enough to Turkoglu's $6.3 million salary to fall within the parameters of the collective bargaining agreement. Turkoglu has two seasons remaining on his contract and a player option for a third, while Artest has two seasons left on his deal but holds an early termination option for next summer. Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie did not return a call seeking comment.

As for potential lower-level additions, the Kings released their Las Vegas summer-league roster Tuesday. The group is headlined by third-year swingman Francisco García, second-year guard Quincy Douby and 2007 first-round draft pick Spencer Hawes, a center from the University of Washington.

Among the four former Kings who became free agents July 1, big man Justin Williams is the only one on the summer-league roster. Noticeably absent is third-year guard Ronnie Price, who -- like Williams -- became a free agent but has been given a qualifying offer from the Kings that in no way guarantees a return. The Kings can rescind the offer, but it gives them the right of first refusal should another team make an offer.

Meanwhile, point guard Pooh Jeter returns for his second summer stint with the Kings and could have a chance to make the roster. Jeter, a 5-foot-11 University of Portland product who was cut during the Kings' training camp last year, played well enough in the NBA Development League last season to start in the All-Star Game. Artest's brother, Daniel, who has played in community college and overseas, is also on the Kings' summer roster.

As for the free-agent front, Petrie said Monday he has had "a preliminary conversation" with Corliss Williamson's agent, Jimmy Sexton. The former Kings forward said during the 2006-07 season he believes he has six seasons left. Williamson, 33, made $6.5 million last season and had said he would seek a three-year deal this time around. Petrie said no offer has been made.

"He's a guy that everybody likes around here," Petrie said. "We'll continue to stay in touch with Jimmy and see at some point where we're at and what we're trying to do or what we may be able to do or get done that still fits for him and fits for us."

It has also become official that point guard Mike Bibby is, for now, on the Kings' payroll for next season. Bibby did not exercise his early termination option for the 2007-08 campaign by the June 30 deadline, meaning he remains a King and will earn $13.5 million next season.

Bibby has a player option after the 2007-08 season, giving him the chance to become an unrestricted free agent next summer and turn down the final year of his deal worth $14.5 million.

Tuesday afternoon, the Kings released former assistant coaches Scott Brooks, Brendan O'Connor, Mark Hughes and Clay Moser.

Jason Hamm was the only assistant coach not released.

I wouldn't mind Hedo back but I sure as hell hope we get more than Hedo in return for Artest.
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Indeed. And that this should all happen to Orlando, who just recently had Darko... :confused:

They say there is some chance at an S&T now with the Lewis deal. If that happens, and enough salary is left cleared, I wonder if the Darko camp would condescend to an S&T as part of the deal?

In any case, I like Hedo, but again he's a 28 yr old either swingman or tweener forward, or both, with a contract that runs through 2010 and very much resembles those of KT or Reef. What is Geoff's fascination with those guys again?

The article speculates it might be Artest, in which case that's "versatility" in exchange for talent. But maybe it could be Bibby if Darko were involved? heck, even send them one of our spare frontcourt guiys to make up for their losses if they wanted. ;)

Why would we want another bad contract like Hedo? I thought we've move on from this sort of crap. We should be making moves for the future, not this stagnant stuff.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Why would we want another bad contract like Hedo? I thought we've move on from this sort of crap. We should be making moves for the future, not this stagnant stuff.

We are trying to make moves for the future silly. Hedo, MoPete, and possibly Billups. Jeesh, what's your problem? ;)

I don't want Hedo back. Not that he is a bad player or anything, but with Hedo comes Hedo's fans, and if I remember correctly, they were a cancer to this site, even moreso than the Peja homers who STILL curse Chris Webber to this day. Let the Magic deal with Hedo and his fans.

Lineup, 2007-08

Bibby/Jason Williams/Damon Jones
Turkoglu/Martin
Williamson/Garcia
Webber/SAR
Brad/Scot

When we play Miami we can call them a bunch of kids. ;)

S

sactownfan

I fully support petrie right now and i will continue to do so until he makes a trade like this for HEDO?

I have a hard time believing this would go down for REALLY good reasons.
first the orlando GM made it clear last year that he didnt want a part of Artest to the point of basically insulting Artest and the thought of them wanting his problems. Sec this trade doesnt make any sense.

i have my own thoughts on whats happening and that is Petrie is exploring trading Bibby for Darko and maybe the Mo pete thing is Jose Calderon for someone to be our back up? dunno maybe that makes about as much sense for trading our best player for HEDO?

Entity

Hall of Famer
I'd rather have Artest. Artest could 10 off court problems and I would rather have him over Hedo. This is stupid plain and simple. In fact Garcia >> Hedo.

Geoff, in case you're out there, David Lee >>> Hedo.

Edit: Unless, of course, it's a resigned Darko ($7mil/per) and Hedo, for Bibby.

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
We are trying to make moves for the future silly. Hedo, MoPete, and possibly Billups. Jeesh, what's your problem? ;)

I just read this morning that Billups has re-signed with Detroit. It was on the Yahoo sports news page, I think. Too lazy to go looking for it again. :eek:

To be honest I'm starting to really fear having Petrie as our GM is he's seriously considering making some of these moves and not just using them as a smoke screen. Just like with Peterson, Hedo would do nothing for us, he is not young enough for our rebuild, he doesn't have a needed skill, and we already have an abundance of swingmen.

What could be done and should be done is a sign and trade for Darko. I was just reading that he may have to sign for the MLE because only three teams have enough open cap space which are the Magic (won't keep him), the Bucks (probably won't sign him), and the Grizzlies (might, but still have Gasol). With a sign and trade the Kings could give him more than the MLE. Not only that but he provides exactly what we need with youth, rebounding, shot blocking, defense, and a nice developing offensive game. It's the perfect move to make.

Entity

Hall of Famer
UNLESS this is used in aquiring Darko and getting rid of either KT or SAR. Maybe Artest and KT for Darko and Hedo. Hedo has the same length on his contract as KT just for less money. It would save us about 6 million over the next 3 years.

i'm the biggest hedo supporter but cmon petrie.. wtf, i thought we are trying to rebuild? where are the trades for picks etc.. maybe you can pull one on the knicks.. :confused:

The only way this would make sense would be as part of a Bibby to Orlando type of deal. We'd add Hedo to the pile of contracts set to expire in 2010 and hopefully get a young player or pick out of the deal.

L

Lafayette

Artest and Bibby to Orlando and they send us Hedo, Milic (sign and trade), and JJ Riddick (because they won't give up Jameer Nelson). You might think that it's a bad trade but we get to dump to players that we don't want and get back 2 solid fowards and a promising shooter that came on late last year. Get me Petries number, lets make this happen... then again they just signed Lewis, do they really need Artest?

The only way this would make sense would be as part of a Bibby to Orlando type of deal. We'd add Hedo to the pile of contracts set to expire in 2010 and hopefully get a young player or pick out of the deal.
That's one possibility. Another is that Petrie wants to move KT or SAR and Orlando would rather add front court depth and have one of those guys at PF instead of Hedo bakcing up Rashard. Darko leaving creates a hole for them up front.

Amick only speculates that Artest is the guys being talked about here. We have a lot of contracts that would make a Hedo trade work and turn out well for us.

That's one possibility. Another is that Petrie wants to move KT or SAR and Orlando would rather add front court depth and have one of those guys at PF instead of Hedo bakcing up Rashard. Darko leaving creates a hole for them up front.

Amick only speculates that Artest is the guys being talked about here. We have a lot of contracts that would make a Hedo trade work and turn out well for us.
Ah, good point.

I'm giving Geoff a little credit and assuming that he is doing nothing more than playing Orlando against New York here - to pry the best possible deal out of the Knicks for Artest.

if Geoff does some trades with New York and Orlando, and we can manage to get Darko in an S&T, and get David Lee, i'd definitely take Hedo. maybe we even get rid of KT or SAR on the deal:eek:

You guys are all missing the point. You see, Geoff has to start to look like a dumbass so he can then catch other GMs off guard. Look at all the doubting he's getting here. He's probably getting it from other GMs too. Remember, he's just "talking". No harm yet.

Other GMs need to think he's lost it, and that's when they start to think they've got the better of him in a potential trade... It's perfect!