Beasley v. Griffin (spun off from VSL thread)

...Im going to go out on a limb and say Tyreke is the favorite to win ROY. Only because Griffins game reminds me so much of Michael Beasleys. Beasley is a great player who had a good year with a promising future, but didnt put fourth a ROY performance last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I just finished watching a bunch of kings vsl highlights on youtube and I must say Tyreke looks like a BEAST! I never knew he was THAT strong of a finisher around the basket. After driving to the basket Evans was taking hard fouls and STILL finishing. I realize hes only playing against vsl competition. I think this guy is going to be an absolute stud. I really hope the kings hold onto him for 10 years. He almost effortlessly gets to the rim and either finishes or gets fouled. Jon Brockman is going to be Scott Pollard part 2. Casspi seems like a mis between Nocioni and AK47. Im going to go out on a limb and say Tyreke is the favorite to win ROY. Only because Griffins game reminds me so much of Michael Beasleys. Beasley is a great player who had a good year with a promising future, but didnt put fourth a ROY performance last year.
Having watched Beasley and Griffin to the point of nauseum, I must say the the only thing similar about their game was the results. They both scored and rebounded with ease in college. Thats where it ended. Beasley's game reminded me more of a SF's game and thats what I projected him to eventually be. He played a lot on the outside, but was good at going to the basket and following shots for rebounds.

Griffin is a low post player. Almost all of his points in college came from under the basket. He relies on quickness and strength combined with great leaping ability to most of his scoring. He seldom took an outside shot, a part of his game he needs to improve upon. If I had to choose between the two, I would take Griffin because of his toughness, plus he's bigger than Beasley, and will be playing his natural position. I think Beasley is still more of work in progress. Particularly as to where his natural position is. He's very talented, and will be a very good player, once he figures out who he is as a player. I wouldn't call him a great player just yet....

Last edited:
Having watched Beasley and Griffin to the point of nauseum, I must say the the only thing similar about their game was the results. They both scored and rebounded with ease in college. Thats where it ended. Beasley's game reminded me more of a SF's game and thats what I projected him to eventually be. He played a lot on the outside, but was good at going to the basket and following shots for rebounds.

Griffin is a low post player. Almost all of his points in college came from under the basket. He relies on quickness and strength combined with great leaping ability to most of his scoring. He seldom took an outside shot, a part of his game he needs to improve upon. If I had to choose between the two, I would take Griffin because of his toughness, plus he's bigger than Beasley, and will be playing his natural position. I think Beasley is still more of work in progress. Particularly as to where his natural position is. He's very talented, and will be a very good player, once he figures out who he is as a player. I wouldn't call him a great player just yet....
I agree, very little about Beasley and Griffin's game is similar. The one thing very disconcerting about watching Beasley in the pro's is that everything he did was soft. Finger rolls, fade-aways...everything is non-confrontational and I don't think that works as a big man in the league. In college it looked smooth, but now among better size and athletes it looks soft. Not saying he won't score a lot, he will, but I don't think he'll be a successful winning player.

Griffin is just the opposite, all athleticism, and effort. Power and aggression is a time-honored recipe for success in the NBA. ...and actually a good comp for Tyreke. Different positions, but similar mindsets on how to succeed.

I suppose the reason i liken the two players to eachother is because of the way they use sheer athleticism to jump higher than the defender can to get their shot off. Ive seen the two take alot of tough shots around the basket using this similar attribute.

I suppose the reason i liken the two players to eachother is because of the way they use sheer athleticism to jump higher than the defender can to get their shot off. Ive seen the two take alot of tough shots around the basket using this similar attribute.
I think what separates them is HOW they did it. Griffin tended to use his power as much if not more than his finesse. Beasley used his finesse much more than power in college. I think that what Griffin can do translates much better on the next level (at least at the PF position). Which is why I think Beasley will spend most of his career at SF.

A

AriesMar27

i wonder if the media will try to create a griffin vs. beasley beef or something like they did with kobe and lebron and tried to do with lebron and carmelo.