Bargain Hunting Watch

I understand folks sentiment about keeping things together to let it grow. However, improvements can be made without blowing up the squad. What I want to know is when will the bargain hunting season begin in the sense of other teams deciding its time to blow up their teams and unload their veterans for either young talent or salary cap?

For instance, i think it is just a matter of time before Denver decides it's time to go rebuild mode in which case 2 guys i would love to have AfFlalo and McGee could be had on the cheap. I was bummed the Kings didn't get a deal done with the Magic at draft time to swap picks for AFFlalo.

perhaps KMart could be plucked from Min on the cheap.

and when I say cheap I mean for the DWILL ender, cash, RAY Mac and future 2nd type of deal, sessions

Gallanari can be had he's falling out there rotation after he lost his starting role. If we could send them DWill/sessions for Gall he can become our scorer in the 2nd unite.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Gallanari can be had he's falling out there rotation after he lost his starting role. If we could send them DWill/sessions for Gall he can become our scorer in the 2nd unite.
In theory. THIS Gallinari though might not be able to be the main scorer on our Reno duck and chuckers. He's terrible right now. I wish I had complete confidence in his determination to become non-terrible again, but that injury either really lingered in a troubling way, or Gallinari was in no rush to recover from it, in a troubling way.

I still want Afflalo if there's a reasonable way to get him. George Karl called him the most focused NBA professional he ever coached. Would be great for our culture and attitude focus....and he plays both ends of the floor very hard. He's very strong which makes him a versatile wing defender, can post well as a guard, can shoot from outside.

If we somehow got him and say Kyle O'Quinn....wow this team would be scary for all the right reasons

I still want Afflalo if there's a reasonable way to get him. George Karl called him the most focused NBA professional he ever coached. Would be great for our culture and attitude focus....and he plays both ends of the floor very hard. He's very strong which makes him a versatile wing defender, can post well as a guard, can shoot from outside.

If we somehow got him and say Kyle O'Quinn....wow this team would be scary for all the right reasons
The current afflalo doesn't really look like that anymore. You'd be banking that he'd be able to get back to that level.

The current afflalo doesn't really look like that anymore. You'd be banking that he'd be able to get back to that level.
Last 2 games he's picked it up and by mid December he stick will be up.

In theory. THIS Gallinari though might not be able to be the main scorer on our Reno duck and chuckers. He's terrible right now. I wish I had complete confidence in his determination to become non-terrible again, but that injury either really lingered in a troubling way, or Gallinari was in no rush to recover from it, in a troubling way.
That's the point though strike while his stock is low if your giving up DWill/sessions there's 0.0 risk. He should get better as the season goes on and if he becomes 80% of his old self that's a very good player on the bench.

Any of Afflalo,Dragic,Shumpert would be ideal if attainable. even someone like Khris Middleton who is on a rookie deal stuck behind a log jam of SFs on the bucks would be a sneaky good move. Hes got length and can score just fine off the bench.

Any deal would involve DWill since he's clearly out of the picture at this point and is an ending contract. Denver probably wants to shed salary, so it may attract them.

Affalo is one possibility.

Here's another:

The Clippers are desperate for a SF who can defend or shoot threes. Wilson Chandler fits that role and will be in the Denver fire sale. The Kings don't really need Wilson Chandler, but they could use what the Clippers might give up.

Say the Clips are offering Crawford and filler for Chandler. Perhaps they offer JJ Reddick for Chandler. Why does Denver want to take on those contracts? Sacramento steps in, offers DWill for Denver and takes on Crawford or Reddick. Suddenly you have your bench guard.

Any deal would involve DWill since he's clearly out of the picture at this point and is an ending contract. Denver probably wants to shed salary, so it may attract them.

Here's another:

The Clippers are desperate for a SF who can defend or shoot threes. Wilson Chandler fits that role and will be in the Denver fire sale. The Kings don't really need Wilson Chandler, but they could use what the Clippers might give up.

Say the Clips are offering Crawford and filler for Chandler. Perhaps they offer JJ Reddick for Chandler. Why does Denver want to take on those contracts? Sacramento steps in, offers DWill for Denver and takes on Crawford or Reddick. Suddenly you have your bench guard.
I think chandler is the one player they keep and lawson/faried/Mosgov. They need chandler as there starting SF with Gall being benched so no way they trade him to clips for Crawford and filler.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Afflalo would be ideal here...I'm sure it starts and ends with Ben or Nik though since they would be going to full rebuild mode. McGee I pass on, shotblocking ability and all...you just can't teach dumb. Gallinari is just about done, at least for this season he looks miserable.

I think chandler is the one player they keep and lawson/faried/Mosgov. They need chandler as there starting SF with Gall being benched so no way they trade him to clips for Crawford and filler.
Agree that they need Chandler with how Gallo is recovering, but unfortunately, if they're trying to unload, Gallo will be harder to move. Chandler has some of the highest value.

Devner Trade Asset Rankings:

1. Ty Lawson - Kinda expensive but has played at all star levels before.
2. Afallo - Good player on good contract
3. McGee - Because size, but overpaid.
4. Chandler - Because contract and need
5. Faried - Good player, but Poison Pill year before a new contract that may be overpaying him.

I think that they'll hang on to Mozgov because he's young and his contract is good. Someone might go after Nate and hope he can be a sparkplug.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Here's another:

Crawford might be your bench guard because he's done it so much of his career, but Reddick = suddenly you have your starting guard. :)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Gallinari is also broken.

I don't anticipate him returning to being a productive NBA player this season, if ever.

Gallinari is also broken.

I don't anticipate him returning to being a productive NBA player this season, if ever.
Why don't you think he can't get back? With his size he just needs to post up and shoot 3s which he was good at both before. He missed the whole year it takes time but I don't think we are risking anything. DWill/sessions give us nothing if Gall does bust he is a FA next year.

K

KingMilz

Kris Humperies this year has been making an insane amount of mid range jumpers and the dude hustles like Reggie Evans (with more size/athletic ability)and can somewhat protect the lane at times, I think if we could offer something to Washington for him that would be great here. I'm literally shocked at his mid range shooting I don't know if it's a fluke but yeah.

If Corey Brewer is available from the Twolves dude gambles a lot on D but he can change games and can play both SG/SF.

Last edited by a moderator:
let's get Twill already
I like the Kings to EXPERIMENT for a few games with Terrence Williams just to see what happens if we have a good veteran option to back-up McLemore at SG.

Trading for the low-IQ shot blocker JaValle McGee won't be such a terrible option too, especially if we get him at the expense of a non-performing asset DWill and an almost equally low-IQ player JT. It would be exchanging our good man-to-man defender C/PF for a very good shot blocker.

Meyers Leonard, Jeff Withey, Tony Snell - all more or less buried on the bench. No top notch players, but there might be some potential.
Leonard is big and can hit jumpshots. His defense is problematic and he is not a great rebounder, but he might figure it out over time.
Withey can block shots and might go down the Robin Lopez route in a few years. Wasn't too bad versus the Kings.
Snell has all the tools to become a SG/SF of the 3&D-Type.

Worth keeping an eye on those 3 and try to get them on bargain contracts in FA or maybe aquire via a trade.

Meyers Leonard, Jeff Withey, Tony Snell - all more or less buried on the bench. No top notch players, but there might be some potential.
I would rather that we retain the current crap of roster than to again get some young unproven players because of their potential. The team is already good. Potentials will not help the team significantly better at this point.

Last edited:
Here's a 2 birds 1 stone trade. Nik/DWill/sessions for mayo/Zaza.
Gives us a scoring wing off then bench and a 6'11 C to pair with landry and prevents a small front court in the 2nd unite. Also both players are playoff tested and mayo/Gay have a good relationship.

K

KingMilz

What about Evan Turner as the back up PG/scoring guard/back up SG (cause I think Ben is a great fit)/fill in SF? He's on a decent contract and handles the ball better than anyone on the roster not named Collison, him with the 2nd unit could be nice, he could replace what Sessions does but with better D and size. Turner/Casspi/Landry in a second unit is fairly solid.

I know Turner had a horrible stint in Indy as a back up, but he really didn't get the ball much and that whole team ended up a nightmare, I would not mind him for a second playing the Tyreke big PG role off the bench. While he can hog he can of hogs similar to Reke where he will get you the ball when your open.

The guy can ball and him off the bench would not really disrupt chemistry between Cuz/Rudy anyway.

Offer them D-Will expiring

What about Evan Turner as the back up PG/scoring guard/back up SG (cause I think Ben is a great fit)/fill in SF? He's on a decent contract and handles the ball better than anyone on the roster not named Collison, him with the 2nd unit could be nice, he could replace what Sessions does but with better D and size. Turner/Casspi/Landry in a second unit is fairly solid.

I know Turner had a horrible stint in Indy as a back up, but he really didn't get the ball much and that whole team ended up a nightmare, I would not mind him for a second playing the Tyreke big PG role off the bench. While he can hog he can of hogs similar to Reke where he will get you the ball when your open.

The guy can ball and him off the bench would not really disrupt chemistry between Cuz/Rudy anyway.

Offer them D-Will expiring
If we ignore that he's below average than don't forget he is a bad locker room guy and that started in college.

K

KingMilz

If we ignore that he's below average than don't forget he is a bad locker room guy and that started in college.
Explain? I think he's a solid NBA player def not below average, didn't know about the bad locker room thing.

For a bench players he's pretty damn good imo, aside from Casspi who on our bench has been better than Turner?

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain? I think he's a solid NBA player def not below average, didn't know about the bad locker room thing.

For a bench players he's pretty damn good imo, aside from Casspi who on our bench has been better than Turner?
He's average but you add in he is ball dominate role player and he's below average to me. But even if he's average you don't trade DWill expiring for him that's one of our rare assets

dude12

Hall of Famer
Reggie Evans, whom I'm a big fan of, can be another trade piece. If we are looking to for cheap low salary type backups...you would think that his rebounding is something other playoff teams might covet. We do have some depth at PF. Gives the team another option instead of teams looking for an ending contract in DWill and the trade value of Ray is probably fairly low.

Reggie Evans, whom I'm a big fan of, can be another trade piece. If we are looking to for cheap low salary type backups...you would think that his rebounding is something other playoff teams might covet. We do have some depth at PF. Gives the team another option instead of teams looking for an ending contract in DWill and the trade value of Ray is probably fairly low.
NO no no please no you don't trade evans that's DMC mentor and has done a A+ job at it. You don't package him unless we are getting star back (rondo/holford). That's how you mess chemistry up right there.
By the way u don't want rondo cause it would take ben

Reggie is a tough question. He's a vet leader that's helped change the mindset of the team. He's a bro to Cousins and sort of an expert counselor for the dispossessed*.

But he's not a part of the rotation and his contract ends after the year, which is when you will have to make the choice on him anyways. So do you move him and risk the locker room? Do you just keep him and see if he hangs around on a cheap contract again?

* though having retained their home, the Kings have a sort of dispossessed entity to them from years of threats to move and a roster full of players others didn't want. So I use the term. =p