Asik, Lin and 25th pick for 8th pick, JT and D Williams

The 8th pick is for sale and I think it will be a valuable chip for a team trying to get in the Kevin Love or Rajon Rondo sweepstakes. One team trying to get some pieces for a big trade is Houston.

My proposed trade would be sending the #8 pick, JT, and expiring contracts (i.e. Derrick Williams, Jason terry, or Travis outlaw) for Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin and #25 pick.

Why Kings do it? Kings get a defensive big and rim protector to play alongside DMC in Asik. J Lin gives the kings a starting point guard to replace IT. With the 25th pick, the kings can get draft Kyle Anderson, Elfrid Payton or Isaiah Austin.

Why Houston does it? They get a high draft pick to dangle in a possible trade for Kevin Love or Rajon Rondo. McHale has connections with Boston and Danny Ainge and Ainge owes McHale one for gift wrapping kg to him before. I can see Houston getting Rondo with #8 and some pieces. Houston also gets a full sized big at power forward and back up center to play alongside Dwight Howard. Derrick Williams also could be the stretch 4 they have been looking for.

Kings new lineup:

PF: DMC / LANDRY
SF: GAY / ACY
C: ASIK / ISAIAH AUSTIN (25th pick)
SG: McCLEMORE / FREE AGENT (IE. ANTHONY MORROW)
PG: LIN / McCALLUM

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

I think we can do better tbh, Lin just cost the Rockets the Playoff series against the Blazers (with shockingly dumb 4th quarter plays in two of the games) and both are average and overpaid, I much rather develop the 8th pick, we are still not a playoff team with those two. I just don't see why people think Asik and Cousins are a great fit, Asik forces Cousins away from the rim (which is terrible) and neither is athletic. I rather have a livewire athletic body next to Cousins who can finish above the rim and block shots.

Asik also has Jason Thompson like hands which is not a good thing.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, it's not the worst trade proposal I've ever heard, but it's still not a great one. I'm not nearly as opposed to trading Thompson as I am to keeping Landry.

K

KingMilz

Well, it's not the worst trade proposal I've ever heard, but it's still not a great one. I'm not nearly as opposed to trading Thompson as I am to keeping Landry.
If the trade was to switch Thompson for Landry I still have a hard time giving up the 8th pick for two average players who have maxed out and really won't make us a playoff team, I rather keep JT over Landry but.

The only two Rockets players I would have a interest in are Beverly (low pay high intensity/younger Tony Douglas) and Parsons.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Houston did trade for #8 it would be to keep the pick. Due to the JJ Hickson trade, we cannot even trade the #8 pick until after the selection is made. That would entail a deal on the table from another team before hand to select their preference. This is hard to do with another team lined up down the road for a blockbuster trade of Kevin Love caliber.

If Houston did trade for #8 it would be to keep the pick. Due to the JJ Hickson trade, we cannot even trade the #8 pick until after the selection is made. That would entail a deal on the table from another team before hand to select their preference. This is hard to do with another team lined up down the road for a blockbuster trade of Kevin Love caliber.
I believe we can trade our first round pick as long as we get another first round pick this year in the trade. It would be like trading down.

Landry instead of JT would work too. Landry might actually be preferred by Houston, if he was healthy. But that is the big question with Landry. If Landry was healthy, I think Houston would actually prefer him as a stretch 4 next to D Howard.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I believe we can trade our first round pick as long as we get another first round pick this year in the trade. It would be like trading down.
That is correct.

The above trade proposal is a tough one to swallow money-wise for the simple reason that both Lin and Asik are owed over $14M next year (despite their lower cap hits in the $8M+ range each). I'm not really on board with the idea of paying Lin $14M+ next year. And with Asik, I would prefer to pursue him without giving up our pick. Houston pretty badly telegraphed their desire to trade him last year and between that and his high-dollar contract he may be enough of a burden to Houston that they would dump him for salary relief. That's the line I would take towards Asik. D-Will for Asik straight up? Let's do it. I don't know if Houston would bite (maybe they can find a better offer), but it saves them about $8M in salary this year on a player who apparently doesn't want to play next to Dwight Howard.

I would take this trade in a heartbeat. I think Lin would mesh well on this team and Asik would pair perfectly with Dwight. Lin is an ender, we could re-sign him for cheap, and we'd have a beautiful salary situation heading into next offseason.

I hate it TBH. People don't seem to realize that we can't take Cousins away from the rim and let him go guard all the super quick PF's who like to play away from the rim. For starters, you're taking away one of the best defensive rebounders in the NBA away from being in good position to board. Another is Cuz would be in foul trouble every other game guarding the way the PF position has developed.

It's the same reason Asik-Dwight failed miserably. Both guys need to be at the rim and neither are good at going out and defending outside the paint. Cuz is that same sort of player where defensively, he needs to be around the rim.

That is correct.

The above trade proposal is a tough one to swallow money-wise for the simple reason that both Lin and Asik are owed over $14M next year (despite their lower cap hits in the $8M+ range each). I'm not really on board with the idea of paying Lin $14M+ next year. And with Asik, I would prefer to pursue him without giving up our pick. Houston pretty badly telegraphed their desire to trade him last year and between that and his high-dollar contract he may be enough of a burden to Houston that they would dump him for salary relief. That's the line I would take towards Asik. D-Will for Asik straight up? Let's do it. I don't know if Houston would bite (maybe they can find a better offer), but it saves them about $8M in salary this year on a player who apparently doesn't want to play next to Dwight Howard.
that salary cap relief would be enough incentive for them to dump him. correct me if i'm wrong here.. isn't it dollar for dollar if they are over the cap? if they are 15m over the cap.. isn't that 30m for a disgruntled center?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
that salary cap relief would be enough incentive for them to dump him. correct me if i'm wrong here.. isn't it dollar for dollar if they are over the cap? if they are 15m over the cap.. isn't that 30m for a disgruntled center?
You're thinking of the luxury tax level, not the salary cap level. And it's more than dollar-for-dollar, it's actually $1.50 per dollar for the first $5M and escalates after that.

However, Houston would look to be safely below the luxury tax level next year as currently constructed - if they pick up all of their options they'll have 13 players and be just a hint under the salary cap. They would have another $13M+ to go before even getting into the tax range. And keep in mind that Asik's contract is structured in a very unusual way - the cap hit (which determines luxury tax, etc.) for next year is a bit under $8.4M while his actual salary for next year is somewhat north of $14M. Derrick Williams will make $6.3M next year, so he would only represent a $2M change in their cap, and a somewhat larger difference in their tax payment, if they were to reach the tax.

So if Houston were to trade Asik for D-Will, the baseline is that they would save about $8M in total. If they get over the tax level then there would be additional savings. One way for them to get over the tax would be for them to spend about $6M on the MLE and then make Parsons an RFA and use Bird Rights to pay him, say, $9M. If they did that, they'd save about $3M more for a total of $11M. That's a pretty nice savings for dumping a disgruntled center, but it's not $30M.

No thanks. Asik is overrated and Lin is a bum who had a flash in the pan moment and got payed because of it. Talk to some Houston fans, they hate him

From a marketing standpoint it makes total sense. With Lin we would be selling out every game. Remember about 10 years ago when we had that Asian guy in camp? We were selling out pre-season games just to get a glimpse. I imagine Lin-sanity would hit if he were here (with our high asian american population)

As for skill? Nah I am not sold on Lin. I do like Asik though.

From a marketing standpoint it makes total sense. With Lin we would be selling out every game. Remember about 10 years ago when we had that Asian guy in camp? We were selling out pre-season games just to get a glimpse. I imagine Lin-sanity would hit if he were here (with our high asian american population).
True. Lin would bring the Asian Bay Area fans into Sacramento to see him play close to home. Also, Lin would make a huge boost in the overseas China market for Vivek's plan of going global with the Kings brand.

I think his marketing power with the Asian market and China far outweighs his overpaid contract.

True. Lin would bring the Asian Bay Area fans into Sacramento to see him play close to home. Also, Lin would make a huge boost in the overseas China market for Vivek's plan of going global with the Kings brand.

I think his marketing power with the Asian market and China far outweighs his overpaid contract.

From a business standpoint it makes 100% sense, but from a "win now" standpoint it might not be the best move.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member

The last time we brought in a player for marketing purposes he was named Jimmer Fredette. I don't want to repeat that experience.

The last time we brought in a player for marketing purposes he was named Jimmer Fredette. I don't want to repeat that experience.
Lin is a much more proven NBA player. He has started on playoff teams with Houston. He is a legitimate NBA player in the league.

He is not an unproven player like Jimmer. They are two totally different players and situations.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Lin is a much more proven NBA player. He has started on playoff teams with Houston. He is a legitimate NBA player in the league.

He is not an unproven player like Jimmer. They are two totally different players and situations.
Well, you did argue that we should bring him in for marketing purposes, not for his level of play.

As for his level of play, over the last two years Lin has finished 34th/28th in WS/48 and 36th/37th in PER amongst all guards who played at least 2000 minutes. He lost his starting job this year. He's pretty firmly entrenched as a bottom-of-the-barrel starter or a backup. We're supposed to pay $14M for that? Or are we supposed to pay $14M for the marketing aspect?

What I can say for Jimmer is at least he never made over $2.5M a year, so as a marketing gimmick at least he came a lot cheaper than Lin.

K

KingMilz

Why would we need someone like Lin for marketting when we have a billion air owner who is expanding the NBA into India? Vivek unlike the Maloofs is not going broke anytime soon and really we don't even need much marketing when your owner is that rich and building a state of the art arena.

In case people forgot we have DMC who will always be in the news regardless for marketing, we don't need players to market and we don't need players who put up stats, WE NEED PLAYERS WHO HELP US WIN! I just don't see Asik and Lin making 30mil combined being able to do that for us nor will either develop into anything better than they are now.

Why would we need someone like Lin for marketting when we have a billion air owner who is expanding the NBA into India? Vivek unlike the Maloofs is not going broke anytime soon and really we don't even need much marketing when your owner is that rich and building a state of the art arena.

In case people forgot we have DMC who will always be in the news regardless for marketing, we don't need players to market and we don't need players who put up stats, WE NEED PLAYERS WHO HELP US WIN! I just don't see Asik and Lin making 30mil combined being able to do that for us nor will either develop into anything better than they are now.
Big time lurker, infrequent poster...I was initially very, nay VERY, intrigued by this. I'd love the additional ESPN/international exposure Jeremy Lin would produce as the cherry on top of a nice acquisition in Asik. But realistically this is the argument. Lin isn't a cherry on top, he's an overpaid reproduction of past failures at PG. Asik makes sense as a trade candidate until you consider the overall price. His and Lin's $30 ish mil don't account for sensible gain given our roster. I liked it at first, but thank goodness KF is here to set me straight. I think the trade would be a positive in the shorter term, we'd win more games and maybe sell more stuff, but it's not a move a contender makes to ride improved mediocrity into the next season.

Rubio "could" have been another. He was a media darling because of the baby face and how young he was. Not to mention the spectacular passes. I would rather have Rubio than Lin, but I think both would work better with our starting unit than IT. Just not so sure I would want either of them long term.

Lin because I am not a huge fan of his play and Rubio because after the injury his defense has been atrocious. That's one of the reasons I would have wanted him. He still has his basketball smarts and distributing but the defense is not there anymore and he's not improved enough offensively.

The 8th pick is for sale and I think it will be a valuable chip for a team trying to get in the Kevin Love or Rajon Rondo sweepstakes. One team trying to get some pieces for a big trade is Houston.

My proposed trade would be sending the #8 pick, JT, and expiring contracts (i.e. Derrick Williams, Jason terry, or Travis outlaw) for Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin and #25 pick.

Why Kings do it? Kings get a defensive big and rim protector to play alongside DMC in Asik. J Lin gives the kings a starting point guard to replace IT. With the 25th pick, the kings can get draft Kyle Anderson, Elfrid Payton or Isaiah Austin.

Why Houston does it? They get a high draft pick to dangle in a possible trade for Kevin Love or Rajon Rondo. McHale has connections with Boston and Danny Ainge and Ainge owes McHale one for gift wrapping kg to him before. I can see Houston getting Rondo with #8 and some pieces. Houston also gets a full sized big at power forward and back up center to play alongside Dwight Howard. Derrick Williams also could be the stretch 4 they have been looking for.

Kings new lineup:

PF: DMC / LANDRY
SF: GAY / ACY
C: ASIK / ISAIAH AUSTIN (25th pick)
SG: McCLEMORE / FREE AGENT (IE. ANTHONY MORROW)
PG: LIN / McCALLUM
Explain to me why IT is gone in this scenario... we just let him walk?

Explain to me why IT is gone in this scenario... we just let him walk?
If the Kings pull the trigger to bring in Jeremy Lin at $14 million salary, I can't see how they would be able to afford to bring IT back for $ 7-8 million/year he would be looking for and probably getting from another team.

I don't think IT will come back at a discount and the Kings won't be able to pay two point guards a total of $$21-23 million next year with salary cap limitations.

For IT to return, the Kings would only be able to afford a MLE type PG (i.e. Darren Collison) in trade of Free agency. A high priced PG like Lin or Rondo (in trades) would basically prevent us from bringing IT back.

If the Kings pull the trigger to bring in Jeremy Lin at $14 million salary, I can't see how they would be able to afford to bring IT back for $ 7-8 million/year he would be looking for and probably getting from another team.

I don't think IT will come back at a discount and the Kings won't be able to pay two point guards a total of $$21-23 million next year with salary cap limitations.

For IT to return, the Kings would only be able to afford a MLE type PG (i.e. Darren Collison) in trade of Free agency. A high priced PG like Lin or Rondo (in trades) would basically prevent us from bringing IT back.
My opinion is that would be a talent bleed... you've got to at least sign and trade IT.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Houston is going to move Asik and/or Lin....the GM was saying that last year was tough to move Asik as they were trying to bring back similar talent on their road to the playoffs, but now, at this time, they are trying get room under the cap and want to move both of them out. I'd certainly kick the tires on both but I wouldn't move our pick at 8, Ben, Cuz for either. I think there would be legitimate concerns about Asik and Cuz together but they wouldn't be playing stretch 4s all the time.