Artest to Minnesota?!

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp?id=326052

Kevin Garnett did his best to shoot down a rumored trade that would have sent him to Boston for Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, the No. 5 pick and filler. Garnett reportedly prefers a trade to Phoenix, while the Bulls don’t appear to be in the running. According to a league source, Minnesota may try to swing a deal for Ron Artest if it keeps Garnett.
I wonder if we could use Artest to get another pick inside top 7 or trade up in the draft?!

I would even be prepared to take a badish contract if it means we are getting pick 7 from Minnesota.

S

sactownfan

well Min. has had its share of head cases. Spree, Eddie Griffin, ect. Maybe like the Lakers they try to swing a deal for Artest to try to make KG feel like they are a playoff team.

BUT i doubt bringing in a player like Artest would make anyone happy. And i also doubt that Min would pick up Artest at the cost of the #7 pick.

we would seriously have to take back some bad deals to make this work.

It would be brilliant if we could somehow work a deal to get their 7th pick as well as keeping our 10th, but a more realistic scenario is using Artest to trade up to 7th. I can't see anything happening here though.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I imagine if Artest goes to Minn we would get the #7 even if it means giving up the #10. HMMMM on secong thought after looking at the trade we shouldn't give up the #10 at all and they had better throw in the #7 if they want us to take on one of those contracts.

Trenton Hassell 3 years 4.3 mil
Ricky Davis 1 year 6.3 mil
Troy Hudson 3 years 5.6 mil
Marko Jaric 4 years 5.5 mil
Mark Blount 3 years 7.2 mil
Juwan Howard 2 years 6.3 mil

Last edited:
I've been preaching this trade for 3 months or so now...

Hassell/Madsen/#7 for Artest

We could probably parlay Hassell into Giricek's expiring contract IMO.

Wolves compete WITH KG...Kings rebuild.

I imagine if Artest goes to Minn we would get the #7 even if it means giving up the #10. HMMMM on secong thought after looking at the trade we shouldn't give up the #10 at all and they had better throw in the #7 if they want us to take on one of those contracts.

Trenton Hassell 4 years 4.3 mil
Ricky Davis 2 years 6.3 mil
Troy Hudson 4 years 5.6 mil
Marko Jaric 5 years 5.5 mil
Mark Blount 4 years 7.2 mil
Juwan Howard 3 years 6.3 mil
Those deal shoulld all be subtracted by one year.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Minny has tons of tons of bad deals there that they would be eager to dump to get a guy like Artest. We just might be able to get that #7 out of them in exchange for not only giving them the "win now" of Ron, but also lifting a burden off of them. Not impossible. And yes, it would be brilliant.

Hudson wants out for example. I have no interest in Hudson. Nobody does. That deal was ridiculous, and he's constantly injured. That said...imagine these two deals back to back

1) Artest to Minny for Hudson and the #7
2) Bibby to Atlanta for Claxton, Wright and Johnson + #11

You come out of it with two bad contracts for PGs, but who between the two can probably riun the spot decently.

However, you also come out of it with the #7, #10 AND #11 picks in one of the best drafts in forever. :eek:

Who knows though, as usual.

Minny has tons of tons of bad deals there that they would be eager to dump to get a guy like Artest. We just might be able to get that #7 out of them in exchange for not only giving them the "win now" of Ron, but also lifting a burden off of them. Not impossible. And yes, it would be brilliant.

Hudson wants out for example. I have no interest in Hudson. Nobody does. That deal was ridiculous, and he's constantly injured. That said...imagine these two deals back to back

You come out of it with two bad contracts for PGs, but who between the two can probably riun the spot decently.

However, you also come out of it with the #7, #10 AND #11 picks in one of the best drafts in forever. :eek:

But there is that issue of Bibby's ETO stopping that Atlanta deal from happening.

Bricklayer

But there is that issue of Bibby's ETO stopping that Atlanta deal from happening.
That's a tad overrated, especially in the above scenario where you have other picks coming. Settle on a mutually acceptable pick, do the deal, if he opts out, its off, and we have cap room while they have a reasonable pick for them. Could also actually ask him. Have a feeling it might inspire him to opt out, which could almost be a strategy, but who knows. Its only 2 days from draft day until the last day of the ETO, a conditional trade would not be hard to put in place over such a short period.

Bricklayer

The numbers match with Blount and Artest. Hudson doesn't match butboth Hudson and Blount have 3 years left on their deals.

think Hudson actually just barely skirts over the 25% threshold as well.

Ron earns $7.8 mil next year, so his 25% range should be 7.8 x 0.75 & 7.8 x 1.25 which comes to $5.85mil on the low end, and $9.75mil on the high end.

Huson is at $5.953mil next year. Of all those stupid contracts, I think only Hassel is outside the range. And you could always get him just by including their cheapest stupid contract (Madsen).

McHale is a compelte idiot. Tthat said the complete idiot could have a talented if ready to implode at any moment lineup of Foye/Davis/Artest/KG/Blount. But that's not winning any titles, and is almost sure to be dysfunctional. Just don't tell him that. ;)

More reason to hope that KG is not moved.

think Hudson actually just barely skirts over the 25% threshold as well.

Ron earns $7.8 mil next year, so his 25% range should be 7.8 x 0.75 & 7.8 x 1.25 which comes to $5.85mil on the low end, and $9.75mil on the high end.

Huson is at $5.953mil next year. Of all those stupid contracts, I think only Hassel is outside the range. And you could always get him just by including their cheapest stupid contract (Madsen).

McHale is a compelte idiot. Tthat said the complete idiot could have a talented if ready to implode at any moment lineup of Foye/Davis/Artest/KG/Blount. But that's not winning any titles, and is almost sure to be dysfunctional. Just don't tell him that. ;)

More reason to hope that KG is not moved.
I think that line-up is top 4-5 in the West...which is easily top 4-6 in the League.

Another nice move or two in FA/deals and the Wolves could get hot at the right time or a major injury happens to another team ahead of them and it could happen for them. They'd be a darkhorse title favorite IMO.

Bricklayer

I think that line-up is top 4-5 in the West...which is easily top 4-6 in the League.

Another nice move or two in FA/deals and the Wolves could get hot at the right time or a major injury happens to another team ahead of them and it could happen for them. They'd be a darkhorse title favorite IMO.
That had most of that lineup last year, and were terrible. Not only terrible, but dispirited terrible. And now you add one of the most disruptive forces in the league to it and... :eek:

Did I mention Randy Wittman is the coach? ;)

That had most of that lineup last year, and were terrible. Not only terrible, but dispirited terrible. And now you add one of the most disruptive forces in the league to it and... :eek:

Did I mention Randy Wittman is the coach? ;)

Artest is disruptive in a good way...on the court...

He's the best all-around player in the league IMO..

His combination of offense/defense and inside/outside game is rivaled by NOONE.

There's nothing he doesn't do well on the court.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The low end of the salary range also allows for an Artest for R. Davis + #7 swap. Nobody on the Minny list looks particularly appealing, but since Davis expires after next year he's probably the most palatable. We could use #7 to draft big (Yi if he slips, Hawes will be there) and #10 to grab a SF (J. Wright, Green) who would play his first season behind one-year-only-starter Davis and then be ready to challenge Garcia/Salmons (and to a lesser extent, Reef/KT) for minutes in his second year.

That leaves us with a bit of a logjam at the 2/3, but gets us the shortest contract in exchange for Artest. Alternately we could use #10 on Law, or another big, or trade it down for two picks (for instance, Phoenix would probably want Noah if he were there at #10) and try to grab Splitter and whoever else Petrie likes, knowing that we don't even have to make a roster spot for Splitter this year.

Short of Dorell Wright and Miami's pick, Minny's #7 is probably the best Artest return I've seen speculated about. In fact, it might be better. I guess the real question is whether acquiring Artest would be enough to keep KG happy - if it's not, Minnesota won't bite.

Bricklayer

I'm sure we would much rather have Davis's ender than any of their trash contracts, but just from a practical standpoint I was thinking that if we were going to have any chance to talk them out of that #7, we probably have to do them a favor by taking a bad contract too. Davis, if he does not pout, would be a starter for them alongside Ron, Foye and KG, and he's an ender, so if you ask for him in return for Ron, hard to see them giving you #7 as well, which would be the whole point I would think.

One thing though -- Davis played terrible last year. He's a turd, but a talented turd. No idea if he was pouting or what, but he really stank the place up. Leads to either a) maybe they actually just want to unload his crappy attitude; or b) maybe he, in his contract year, brings his A game.

Its too bad that all they have are horrible horrible contracts (beyond Davis's ender) or I'd try to find a way to sneak in Brad too to complete their lineup.

OMG, sign me up for those 3 picks. We are, after all, officially rebuilding!

Yah I like Davis # 7 for Artest and if Minnesota wants to make KG happy which is there biggest downfall of this trade they will give that pick up.
Otherwise I wouldn't want anything else from that team.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp?id=326052

I wonder if we could use Artest to get another pick inside top 7 or trade up in the draft?!

I would even be prepared to take a badish contract if it means we are getting pick 7 from Minnesota.

Whoa... Think of the #7, and #10 lol.. We could get Noah, and Yi... Think of putting those two 7 footers on the floor at the same time, with Garcia, Martin, and Bibby.

Holy cow..

OMG, sign me up for those 3 picks. We are, after all, officially rebuilding!

ok man.. #7, #10, and #11!!!?? Wow, I am officially draft "hyped" now.

#7 you take Noah, #10 you take Yi, and #11 you take Conley :D

Probally none would be available though lol. But yah, that is best case scenario.

ok man.. #7, #10, and #11!!!?? Wow, I am officially draft "hyped" now.

#7 you take Noah, #10 you take Yi, and #11 you take Conley :D

Probally none would be available though lol. But yah, that is best case scenario.

At 7 you take Conley, if he's even available. No way he falls beyond 9th. Then with the other two, some combo of Yi/B. Wright/Hawes. Something like that.

Bricklayer

At 7 you take Conley, if he's even available. No way he falls beyond 9th. Then with the other two, some combo of Yi/B. Wright/Hawes. Something like that.
If Yi or B. Wright is there and Conley is there, you have to take Yi or Wright. Conley...we'll have to see. But big > little. Especially when the little isn't a sure thing and there are a whole batch of better littles coming down the pipe next year. Very few drafts, if ever, that you get Yi or B. Wright caliber PF prospects slipping out of the top 5. You get a year like that, you have to cash in.