"Art" in front of the arena?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I certainly hope the decision hasn't been made. We may need CrownDowntown to protest at the City Council meeting.

We have enough stupid art with the dumb red rabbit. To even suggest putting up something this ugly when we live in an area so rich in history is beyond ludicrous. And $8 million for the piece of crap? No, no, no...just no.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
What an ugly piece of ****. Why can't we have some nice art that actually reflects upon Sacramento instead of cartoon acrylic bubbles? What the heck is wrong with people???

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What an ugly piece of ****. Why can't we have some nice art that actually reflects upon Sacramento instead of cartoon acrylic bubbles? What the heck is wrong with people???
The Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.

Downtown Sacramento - especially the area around the ESC - is incredibly rich in history. Why not salute the indigenous people of the area? Why not salute the early settlers? Why not have a statue of a family walking toward the facility? Why not have a fountain? Why not leave the area blank until/unless they can come up with something that isn't an embarrassment?

The mere idea they think spending $8 million on that piece of "art" defies description.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015...ce-of-art-at-downtown-sacramento-kings-arena/

Makes it sound like it's not a done deal by any means.

But... I'm surprising myself here...I actually like it? I'm reserving final judgment until I'm sure what it'll look like in person. But Sacramento has a rich history of contemporary/modern artists, too, and I don't think something with a historical bent would fit in with the very modern ESC and hotel design they have going there. The Crocker pulls off the juxtaposition nicely, but I'm not sure you can have the same effect with a statute/sculpture best to a couple massive buildings.

Some of you have no taste ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Word is this piece of "art" is by the same artist who is responsible for the big red rabbit in Sacramento Intergalactic Airport.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Word is this piece of "art" is by the same artist who is responsible for the big red rabbit in Sacramento Intergalactic Airport.
I think that's wrong. The red rabbit was by Lawrence Argent, this piece is by Jeff Koons. Koons, of course, is a much more successful artist in that his successful "art thing" is going to cost more than 10x more than the red rabbit.

I picked the wrong freaking career. Dude makes random art thing and gets paid $8M for it? He sold a giant balloon dog sculpture for over $50M? I don't care whether it looks neat or not, the price is obscene.

Warhawk

Staff member
Link or you just successfully trolled two mods.
No, VF21 and I both saw it on twitter this morning - ugh.

Man, why can't they do something tasteful like the Pony Express statue in Old Sac to celebrate this city's rich heritage? This is just hideous and has no connection to Sacramento. Just.....hideous - what makes them think this is good to be in front of the new facility???

This is the kind of stuff they could easily crowd source. Get the inputs from 1000's of fans who will be going to the games. Could have those results in the matter of a couple days.

J

jdbraver

No, VF21 and I both saw it on twitter this morning - ugh.

Man, why can't they do something tasteful like the Pony Express statue in Old Sac to celebrate this city's rich heritage? This is just hideous and has no connection to Sacramento. Just.....hideous - what makes them think this is good to be in front of the new facility???
We already have old town. Time to think to the future. Do something new and refreshing. I'm tired of being a dried up gold boom town city.

I think that's wrong. The red rabbit was by Lawrence Argent, this piece is by Jeff Koons. Koons, of course, is a much more successful artist in that his successful "art thing" is going to cost more than 10x more than the red rabbit.

I picked the wrong freaking career. Dude makes random art thing and gets paid $8M for it? He sold a giant balloon dog sculpture for over $50M? I don't care whether it looks neat or not, the price is obscene.
I kinda like the rabbit. I mean, it's not amazing or anything, but you can imagine a bunch of rabbits jumping around the cornfields near the airport. It sort of fits.

This?? The only thing that would make it "art" is if someone drove a truck into it.

Yes, Picasso please crowd source your next work of art. Sometimes it takes others awhile to recognize beauty.

Ummmm....

"Hi Kings Fans, we are going to be putting some pieces of art work on display at the arena, we would like input on the art you prefer. Vote on if you would like this piece displayed in front of the building"

YES ---------------- 7%

NO ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 93%

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We already have old town. Time to think to the future. Do something new and refreshing. I'm tired of being a dried up gold boom town city.
That's what they said about the old fairgrounds, too, right before they built the monstrosity of cement and bare ground called Cal Expo. You can "think of the future" without totally abandoning the past.

They better not spend 8million on this piece of crap. Maybe spend 8million on programs helping sacramento's youth? What a damn waste of money... I'm all for art....but this would be a total waste of money in the budget.

Warhawk

Staff member
I kinda like the rabbit. I mean, it's not amazing or anything, but you can imagine a bunch of rabbits jumping around the cornfields near the airport. It sort of fits.

This?? The only thing that would make it "art" is if someone drove a truck into it.
Agreed. While I personally would prefer something more traditional in front of a sports facility (see the statues around the SF Giants ballpark, for example) I could get my head around something more modern if it had some sort of relationship to Sacramento. This piece of **** - no way.

When they hold the All-Star game here and people are taking pictures of everything around the area, what about this garbage screams "Sacramento"??? Unless they are referring to the team's performance on the court for most of their time here?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Dear Kings, after seeing the $8million proposed piece of "art" for the front of the arena, I would like to submit my own proposal as I too seem qualified to be an artist, and have the additional benefit of being a Kingsfan. My artistic gifts can be yours for the low low price of $7million, freeing you to spend the extra million on a data point analysis of nacho consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.