Arena Signature drive funds originated by law firm representing Maloof family

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If Georgie were to go to prison for breaking election law, that would be the second-greatest thing to come out of this whole saga (#1 of course being that we kept the Kings). It's becoming evident that somebody broke the law. I trust it's not TOO vindictive of me to really, really hope it was Georgie.

Please don't accuse me of defending the Maloofs, because those mf's can never be defended. But what would the motivation be for the Maloof Family who got their money from Sacramento, to turn around and potentially break election laws by wasting 80K to put an arena referendum on a ballot in a town that they no longer are associated with.

It does not make logical sense to me?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Please don't accuse me of defending the Maloofs, because those mf's can never be defended. But what would the motivation be for the Maloof Family who got their money from Sacramento, to turn around and potentially break election laws by wasting 80K to put an arena referendum on a ballot in a town that they no longer are associated with.

To be fair, when has anything Maloof-related made logical sense?

Yes he was and basically said that some of the major contributors to stop have abandoned ship and because the 80k is a donation the money legally has to be reported.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Petulant, childish revenge. What more motive do they need?

I guess we now know what the Maloofs decided to do with the money they got from selling the team. I also agree with Capt. Factorial that the Maloofs have nothing to gain from being involved other than spite. I swear this is starting to sound like a bad Lifetime movie: the Maloofs are like the ex-convict who gets out of prison, goes back to his hometown and terrorizes his ex-girlfriend who just got remarried into a stable relationship with a baby on the way.

Pretty obvious to me it was Hansen and ballmer behind this. They had to find a California lawyer to do their dirty work, now that they loss. They are trying to sabotage the sacramento efforts, so the nba will take the team away and give it to Seattle in a few years, if sac doesn't get the arena done.

Pretty pitiful, i would of thought they would have put at least a million into this campaign.

Pretty obvious to me it was Hansen and ballmer behind this. They had to find a California lawyer to do their dirty work, now that they loss. They are trying to sabotage the sacramento efforts, so the nba will take the team away and give it to Seattle in a few years, if sac doesn't get the arena done.

Pretty pitiful, i would of thought they would have put at least a million into this campaign.
I was thinking early on that this would be a good way to throw one final spanner in the works...if the arena falls apart, the Kings are back on the selling block. Glad they screwed it up.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If it was Seattle, it's a heck of a risk. The potential to jeopardize their ability to get a franchise later would be great. I can't believe they would be foolish enough.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Why? To torpedo any thoughts Kevin Johnson may have had of running for hirer office (as in governor). The Maloofs blame KJ for everything that went wrong and they said as much on a couple of different occasions. It doesn't surprise me in the least.

I was thinking early on that this would be a good way to throw one final spanner in the works...if the arena falls apart, the Kings are back on the selling block. Glad they screwed it up.
I don't think it would have put them back on the selling block though. All it would have done is mean the Kings..and their new owners would not stay in Sacramento due to no arena. I could be wrong though.

If it was Seattle, it's a heck of a risk. The potential to jeopardize their ability to get a franchise later would be great. I can't believe they would be foolish enough.
I really don't think this is SEA. I think this is the Maloof's one final F you to Johnson/Sacramento. My dad and i were talking about this a few months ago, and he was adament that he would not put anything by the Maloofs and that their spite ran so deep they would stoop to any level to stick it to Johnson/Sacramento. Looks like that may be the case with these new revelations.

For this reason, I don't think it was Seattle. Feels more like the Maloofs, including the way the plan is falling apart right now. I hope this gets investigated all the way to the end, because I would bet the Maloofs wouldn't be smart enough not to hand write a check to Loeb & Loeb with the "for" line saying "To kill arena in Sacramento."

Seems like Loeb & Loeb would have to disclose this information to their client (Maloof's) - not sure if it would fall under a conflict-of-interests category, but certainly grounds to lose a paying (now that they CAN pay) client. ;)

Capt. Factorial

Staff member

I strongly suspect that it is not Hansen/Ballmer. These guys are first in line at the NBA's Expansion Team Store, and everybody knows it. We just don't know when the store opens. Their only good move is to behave, sit in line, and wait. If it turns out that H/B did fund this, the NBA boots them out of line and tells them never to come back because their money ain't good here.

H/B aren't that stupid, and they aren't that evil. They are opportunists, but they have a very good idea when and how their next opportunity is coming up, and this isn't it.