Another Sign Points to Kings Desire to Leave Sacramento

R

R1LOVER

here you go

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/

I'm not sure why this is news to anyone really.... how many years has Sacramento FAILED to get what was needed to keep the Kings? 10?

It's done, It's over, I don't like it either, but the fact remains we did nothing they asked so they are gone.

R

R1LOVER

I forgot to add that the Maloof's have never cared about the fans here... they only cared about the sellouts that the fans made for them.... money in their pocket is all they are worried about. It's all business for them!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I forgot to add that the Maloof's have never cared about the fans here... they only cared about the sellouts that the fans made for them.... money in their pocket is all they are worried about. It's all business for them!

And THIS attitude is exactly the attitude of many Sacramento citizen to outsiders. It makes judgments based on no facts, it is hostile, and immature. Why would any company, athletic team, etc. want to come here and face this blatant suspicion? Name anyone who has done more for their adopted home. I suppose I am supposed to toss this off as one of a kind but it is exactly what I have been writing about the last few days.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
this is more than a bit of a stretch you realize.

I should note btw that the Kings have the second lowest attendance in the league. For all the Maloofs can see their aren't many fans to care about anymore.

If this isn't a sign of immaturity, I don't know what is.

This is directly from http://www.kings.com. Yeah, the Maloofs sure don't care about their fans or our community. You sound just like those naysayers who comment on the Bee with their negative opinions.

"Maloof Sports & Entertainment has donated more than $17 million to charities in 10 years of Maloof family ownership."

"Each preseason, the Maloofs donate $100,000 in proceeds from a selected Kings exhibition game to assist area capital improvement projects as a tribute to the family's late father and husband under the name of the George J. Maloof Sr. Community Cup."

If this is true that the Maloofs will only turn their attention back to Sacto if they can't get a deal in Anaheim, well, I won't support them anymore. If they can't see that the fans are doing their best to keep them in Sacramento, then I will be selling my tickets for Feb 28th and the rest of my tickets for this year.
Please tell me exactly what the fans have done that consitutes doing their best to keep the Kings? Bash the Maloofs constantly, like they are devils incarnate? Turn their back on the team by providing the worst attendance in the league? Have fans been organizing, holding rallies and participating in writing campaigns to counter the outspoken naysayers and anti-arena folks. Nope, none of it. We couldn't even get more than a few (5) people on this site to take an interest in working on a campaign to get an arena and keep the Kings.

Fourteen years the fans have had to get behind a new arena for this team. Just how long do you think the Maloofs should wait and not be able to have a competitive team?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
That's one of the dumber posts I've seen in a while. You're not even remotely close. Have you been living under a rock the past decade?

If this is true that the Maloofs will only turn their attention back to Sacto if they can't get a deal in Anaheim, well, I won't support them anymore. If they can't see that the fans are doing their best to keep them in Sacramento, then I will be selling my tickets for Feb 28th and the rest of my tickets for this year.
They've fought long enough with an area that clearly doesn't want to progress. They've brought in the NBA to try to push the issue, with Stern saying they spent millions on the effort, and still nothing worked out. Why blame them when clearly nothing can get done here? The ICON's 90 days is to just figure out cost and potential funding, and then it has to actually get done. There's a very slim chance they actually get funding for the 300 mil + project. Can't blame the Maloofs, they've spent too many years gutting it out here and trying to make it work in a town that clearly wants to stay a town and not become a city.

If that was the case, they would have already been gone years ago.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I find it quite insane, how a number of fans don't go to games because it's "too expensive", and they can't afford it. Yet the Maloofs are losing a ton of money here in Sac, have invested millions in Sac, and these same fans have no problem criticising the Maloofs for not wanting to lose more of their money, and making a smart business decision.

What, is your money more important than theirs? It's always easier to tell someone else what to do with their money. Anyone who has taken a Bus101 class at minimum, knows staying under the current conditions without looking at other options would be insane.

Its pretty obvious the MaGoofs are filing by the deadline. If they weren't, they would be the FIRST ones out there squashing all the rumors. They would want to put all the fans minds at ease. However, they haven't said a word.

And now, they do not supply ICON with the paperwork?!

All they are thinking now is.... "6 more days... 6 more days..."

Face it, folks, they are filing...

Its pretty obvious the MaGoofs are filing by the deadline. If they weren't, they would be the FIRST ones out there squashing all the rumors. They would want to put all the fans minds at ease. However, they haven't said a word.
You're operating on the assumed premise that they want to put minds at ease. It's entirely possible that what they're doing is purposefully creating panic in order to motivate the powers that be on the arena front.

Then why aren't they giving ICON the data?

They have never been "excited" about the recent ICON develpments - never issued a shred of pr about it.

IMO, they have decided to file weeks (if not months) ago.

What I don't get is how they plan on pulling this off without becoming even more bankrupt than they already are. They fail at almost everything they touch. They sold daddy's business last year (the only real profitable revenue stream they had). I fail to see how 150m in fees to relocate the team to a different area is going to save the Kings and the Palms.

They have cried about not getting a new arena, but then want to move (borrowing more money they don't have) to a "non-new" arena and fan base?

Makes zero sense...

Who is Sacramento going to blame for being a boring cow town once the Maloofs are gone? Sacramento doesn't deserve the Kings or the Maloofs. It has been shameful how Sac has vilified the Maloofs all these years. I don't blame them for leaving if they do. Just glad I don't live in Sac any more, so I don't have to share the shame and guilt. I feel nothing but disgust for Sacramento and many of it's residents.

Then why aren't they giving ICON the data?

They have never been "excited" about the recent ICON develpments - never issued a shred of pr about it.

IMO, they have decided to file weeks (if not months) ago.

What I don't get is how they plan on pulling this off without becoming even more bankrupt than they already are. They fail at almost everything they touch. They sold daddy's business last year (the only real profitable revenue stream they had). I fail to see how 150m in fees to relocate the team to a different area is going to save the Kings and the Palms.

They have cried about not getting a new arena, but then want to move (borrowing more money they don't have) to a "non-new" arena and fan base?

Makes zero sense...
They have little choice at this point. Their last attempt was putting NBA muscle into the project, and even that couldn't get done. They've probably washed their hands with the possibility (Oh, I mean impossibility) of the prospect of this getting done, and I don't blame them.

Who is Sacramento going to blame for being a boring cow town once the Maloofs are gone?
it will be a cowtown after they leave. the millions of loss tax revenue and the countless jobs that will be gone will certainly affect the area. who do they have in the office there making these decisions? this would only bring in more jobs, business, tax revenue for the city.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

And now, they do not supply ICON with the paperwork?!

All they are thinking now is.... "6 more days... 6 more days..."

Face it, folks, they are filing...
You may be right although I still respect them and call them the Maloofs. They have been very good to this city. They have donated $17 million in their time here and put together the only winning team.

They could have filed already. Who knows? They don't have to announce it. From what I have heard about the situation in Anaheim which includes something about a loan being withdrawn and the arena being pretty darn old and perhaps in need of replacment soon, I still hold out hope.

I thought they have offered all the paperwork they have put together in the last 11 years but have turned down a panic inspired immediate interview. I definitely may be wrong.

If I were a Maloof, I would be angry that some entity, perhaps people I have never heard of, wanting immediate cooperation from me. Very, very angry. Where were they in the last 11 years when the Maloofs werre interested in an arena? NOW they are in a hurry???? It was oin the week end and a holiday. If I were them, I'd be a little petulant about the request for immediate assistance. Wouldn't you? Let them calm down and calling them the Magoofs will not help in getting cooperation. You apparently don't like them. Why should they do something to please you?

I think RookieOfTheDay nails it. They are dleiberately creating panic. No more games. Put up or shut up -------- NOW! They have the upper hand and are going to use that advantage.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
it will be a cowtown after they leave. the millions of loss tax revenue and the countless jobs that will be gone will certainly affect the area. who do they have in the office there making these decisions? this would only bring in more jobs, business, tax revenue for the city.
Don't the people have to vote to increase taxes and even then there is a super majority? As it apparently iss not possible to build this without public money, it is ultimately in the hands of the citizens of Sacramento unless Trump wants to donate a hundred million or so. :)

If they leave, we will look stupid to the rest of the country.

Don't the people have to vote to increase taxes and even then there is a super majority? As it apparently iss not possible to build this without public money, it is ultimately in the hands of the citizens of Sacramento unless Trump wants to donate a hundred million or so. :)

If they leave, we will look stupid to the rest of the country.
Depends on the tax. A sales tax yes. But for hotel and taxi I dont think it requires voter approval, just the city council.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The city of Sacto doesn't have the $ to contribute to a new arena. It's politically untenable given the current economy. So instead of $ why doesn't the city contribute land. Why don't they provide the entire railyard property as equity to the Maloofs? Heck, wipe out the current loan balance for the existing site as well. The Maloofs then build the arena and commercial improvements with their own financing.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The city of Sacto doesn't have the $ to contribute to a new arena. It's politically untenable given the current economy. So instead of $ why doesn't the city contribute land. Why don't they provide the entire railyard property as equity to the Maloofs? Heck, wipe out the current loan balance for the existing site as well. The Maloofs then build the arena and commercial improvements with their own financing.
The city also misses out on the opportunity to make money. Prince is in Oakland and not Arco. These events bring money to the area. You have to invest money to make money.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The Maloofs can't get financning in their current state, and its hard to see them wanting to float another couple hunder mil in loans while the ones they took out on th Palms are threatening to bankrupt them.

But the general approach you suggest is actually what all fo the arena plans of recent vitnage have depended upon -- basically 5 years ago the people of Sac shot down directly using current taxes to build an arena, so to close the duning gap the city and other proposals have mostly focused on land swap deals -- instead of giving somebody money to build an arena, its been about giving somebody land in exhcange for them building an arena. Developers though, not the Maloofs.

No city has "the money" to be paying for a new arena. That is not how it works. Unless you are in LA or NY, a private financing solution probably won't pencil out. It's largely done with a combination of things like specific taxes, redevelopment funds, etc. Property is also one of those things that can be used. But it's misleading to think that Sacramento is unique because they are poor. There isn't a city general fund on the planet that can build one. And yet somehow cities smaller than Sacramento can manage to put together these deals all the time. Where Sacramento doesn't seem to be able to perform is not in money, it's in the area of cooperation and organization. This area is governmentally dysfunctional to the point of near paralysis on just about any big issue. They have had this problem in good economic times as well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If you own a business, and I have. The only thing that matters is making a profit. If you don't make a profit, you go broke and then you don't have a business. They're not running a charity orginization. What don't you understand about that. Has everyone bought into this give away mentality? That you don't have to earn anything anymore? Do you think the people of sacramento deserve a team just because they want one. Wishing or wanting doesn't accomplish anything.

This is very simple. ARCO will soon become an arena that will be good for only one thing, and thats being torn down. The city, and yes, the Kings need a new arena. Why? Because thats where the Kings play their games, and thats where other events are put on display. Now if you can no longer play your games in ARCO, and you don't have another arena in place, then your only option is to go somewhere they do have an arena. Comprende? The Maloofs have been very patient, but all good things come to an end. Their finances are being stretched, and regardless of what loyality they might have to sacramento, their own self preservation is going to come first.

From your remarks, its obvious that you don't give a damm about them or their problems. So you tell me why they should give a damm about you. Its your type of attitude thats the problem in sacramento. And yes, I realize that your in Yuba City.