And "The Narrative" has changed

Kings flying under the radar, east coast deadlines (to say nothing of usual bias) and it's all good as far as I'm concerned. The real shove it where the sun don't shine is when we hopefully get through this opening tough schedule ( so far all is well) and then later venture back east to unleash Boogie Monster decapitation of that mostly weaker conference.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kings flying under the radar, east coast deadlines (to say nothing of usual bias) and it's all good as far as I'm concerned. The real shove it where the sun don't shine is when we hopefully get through this opening tough schedule ( so far all is well) and then later venture back east to unleash Boogie Monster decapitation of that mostly weaker conference.
We're hardly flying under the radar. You've got this east coast thing, but I've been more than a little surprised at just how quickly the national guys have picked up on it. One of the power rankings had us ranked EIGHTH in the whole league, and that was before we beat Denver. I think the Team USA summer really did some good work for us sort of preparing the ground and getting writer's used to the idea that maybe something could happen.

We're hardly flying under the radar. You've got this east coast thing, but I've been more than a little surprised at just how quickly the national guys have picked up on it. One of the power rankings had us ranked EIGHTH in the whole league, and that was before we beat Denver. I think the Team USA summer really did some good work for us sort of preparing the ground and getting writer's used to the idea that maybe something could happen.
First bolded part: And hopefully folks around here can accept that as proof that there is no grand conspiracy to deny the Kings media coverage. We just weren't that sellable of a story. But now, we are. We've become interesting. And what all those national types are looking for (and they're all competing against each other mind you) is something interesting they can print/talk about/promote.

The Thunder get plenty of media coverage. And they're not east coast, they haven't won a title, and they have a tiny market. But they're interesting.

And so the Kings will be if they keep up this (shocker) solid play, including great D. All the sudden we're the Cinderella story, we're the Royals.

Couldn't agree more with the second bolded part.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
let's cool our jets...the narrative has not changed yet. it's a long season, let's hope the players don't get too caught up in the media and the winning streak and expect to keep winning these games and not just be content with it.

The current roster seems to be buying into the coaches scheme. Malone has made some great use of his players. Casspi at the 2 is a great example. Leaving in the subs in Denver for the back to back at 5,000 feet. Ben makes me queasy and Stouskas seems overwhelmed after a decent pre-season. Collison is a present surprise. Speed kills. He has dribblitis at times. Cousins benefited greatly from the summer.

The defense is the big difference. Few fast breaks against the Kings now. Shot are getting blocked. There is a lot of rotation and double teams. Decent rebounding. The future looks brighter.

NBA history is riddled with teams that had a hot start and fell off hard. I'm not ready to call for playoffs just yet. But I'm liking what I'm seeing. Consistent defense. Teammates communicating. Guys on the bench standing up and getting into the game. Movement off the ball. We got all the ingredients for a competitive team.

The main difference so far this season is that I go into every game thinking we can come out with a W. Even down the stretch I thought it was the Kings who should win, not that I'd be happy if we could somehow pull it off. I still think we need some resolution to our 2-guard situation, as I don't think either Ben or Stauskas are ready for big minutes on a competitive team.

We are winning without shooting well at all, that is amazing. If we have aggression to the mean on shooting and keep our defensive competency where it's at that will result in wins.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I honestly wouldn't mind a new wave of bandwagon fans at all. Our arena could use some filled seats during the game, sheesh.
There's an almost incalculable difference between NEW fans and BANDWAGON fans. We were each new fans once, but a lot of us could never be termed bandwagon fans. I hate bandwagon fans with every fiber of my being, with my definition of them being a fan who only becomes a fan when the team is winning, is only heard from when the team is winning, etc.

Just sayin' ...

G

GQ_Gabriel

There's an almost incalculable difference between NEW fans and BANDWAGON fans. We were each new fans once, but a lot of us could never be termed bandwagon fans. I hate bandwagon fans with every fiber of my being, with my definition of them being a fan who only becomes a fan when the team is winning, is only heard from when the team is winning, etc.

Just sayin' ...
Bandwagon fans are not so bad so as long as they do not claim to be "life-long" die hards like many of us here. Bandwagon or diehard fan, I sure would not mind anyone sporting a Kings jersey, or buying tickets to the games.

K

KingMilz

We are winning without shooting well at all, that is amazing. If we have aggression to the mean on shooting and keep our defensive competency where it's at that will result in wins.
This, we have not played a complete game or even close to it in the opening 4, keep in mind Cousins has in every game other than the Clippers once missed a ton of bunnies, we have had zero production from the SG and Sessions we can still get a lot better, not to mention Carl Landry finally doing something if he can get his post game going man team's are going to hate playing against us with Cuz/Gay/Landry just taking turns beating up on teams in the post.

let's cool our jets...the narrative has not changed yet. it's a long season, let's hope the players don't get too caught up in the media and the winning streak and expect to keep winning these games and not just be content with it.
honestly, im already super optimistic, because after the game with Portland, i expected them to congratulate themselves,
and fall back into poor habits against the Clippers. They didn't do that, and if anything, it seems to have made them more hungry.

I think they obviously like this whole winning thing, and the feeling that comes along with it. The effort will be there, regardless of
outcome, i believe, and i can't ask for more than that right now.

This, we have not played a complete game or even close to it in the opening 4, keep in mind Cousins has in every game other than the Clippers once missed a ton of bunnies, we have had zero production from the SG and Sessions we can still get a lot better, not to mention Carl Landry finally doing something if he can get his post game going man team's are going to hate playing against us with Cuz/Gay/Landry just taking turns beating up on teams in the post.
Landry getting comfortable is the scariest thing for opposing teams, moving forward. I pray his good play continues and only gets better
from here. It'll change everything.

from personal experience success breeds confidence breeds success. that applies to the team as a whole. now mclemore on the other hand... he works hard; i know that. his problems are mental, but it wouldnt hurt to still work on his shot if he thinks he needs to

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
soo is he just a mentally weak player then? I mean he's had the entire rookie season, the summer league, preseason and entering his second season to try to gain more confidence...how long is it going to take?

soo is he just a mentally weak player then? I mean he's had the entire rookie season, the summer league, preseason and entering his second season to try to gain more confidence...how long is it going to take?
He's a timid young man, which probably didn't hinder him much before the NBA, because of his explosive athleticism. Just being a dunker and a high flyer alone, won't carry anyone in this league.

Personally, I'm not expecting much from him, in terms of being our top shooting guard in the future

Well, it might also be a case of putting too much pressure on himself. This guy could certainly use a psychiatrist.

You missed my point.

It has completely changed in the minds of many national writers and commenters. The way we are being described has changed. It was an erroneous narrative in the past, especially regarding Cousins. Just flat out wrong and borderline slanderous on many occasions. That is what has changed.

Btw you're not the excitement police.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't know whether he's mentally weak or not; he might be, might not. I don't necessarily equate thinking too much (which I think McLemore is doing) to being mentally weak.

I do think that he'd be a lot more confident if he weren't looking over his shoulder every possession. He wouldn't be the first high draft pick to play tight because he knows that, if he makes two mistakes in a row, he's going to get yanked. I don't think it's a coincidence that McLemore was most productive offensively, both during summer league and the preseason, when he and Stauskas were on the court at the same time.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You missed my point.

It has completely changed in the minds of many national writers and commenters. The way we are being described has changed. It was an erroneous narrative in the past, especially regarding Cousins. Just flat out wrong and borderline slanderous on many occasions. That is what has changed.

Btw you're not the excitement police.
Well that's yet to be determined if it has changed in many minds of national writers and commentators, let's wait a bit here. There is no question that Cousins and Gay's exposure to the national scene on Team USA has gotten them and the team some positive feedback.

I'm the realist police, forgive me if I can't get excited yet...we've only been losing for eight straight seasons..