Am I the only one whos not excited?

Whether the Kings made it to Game 7 of the conference finals, or lost in the first round, I still had more fun watching them these last 6 or so years than I ever have watching a sports team. It wasnt the winning that kept me watching. It was the players. Almost all of whom (aside from Webber) werent very big stars before coming to Sacramento. But with the chemistry they developed, they turned into one of the best teams in the NBA. We had years of exciting dunks and crazy passes. We had years of awesome outside shooting and smooth passes from the big men. Players who gave back to the community as much as the community gave to them. Guys who everone in Sacramento loved.

Now weve got a bunch of "almost All-Stars" on our team. Sure we look good on paper, but that stuff never really mattered to me. Even if this team took the Championship this year, I still wont be as happy as I was watching our team from 1998-2003.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
ESP47 said:
Whether the Kings made it to Game 7 of the conference finals, or lost in the first round, I still had more fun watching them these last 6 or so years than I ever have watching a sports team. It wasnt the winning that kept me watching. It was the players. Almost all of whom (aside from Webber) werent very big stars before coming to Sacramento. But with the chemistry they developed, they turned into one of the best teams in the NBA. We had years of exciting dunks and crazy passes. We had years of awesome outside shooting and smooth passes from the big men. Players who gave back to the community as much as the community gave to them. Guys who everone in Sacramento loved.

Now weve got a bunch of "almost All-Stars" on our team. Sure we look good on paper, but that stuff never really mattered to me. Even if this team took the Championship this year, I still wont be as happy as I was watching our team from 1998-2003.
It may just be me but I think I'll wait untill I have seen the team actually play before I pass judgment on how exciting they are...

ESP47 said:
Even if this team took the Championship this year, I still wont be as happy as I was watching our team from 1998-2003.
While I agree with some of your points in your post, I find this impossible to believe. I think you'd learn to appreciate any players that could produce a championship run for Sacramento.

I actually see where you are coming from. Those years were special. We had something here few sports fans ever get to enjoy, despite the lack of hardware to show for it.

However, I don't think the current team should be punished for not being what that team was, because that's unfair, to both the past team and the new team. The Kings of now are NOT the Kings of that wonderful, magical time, and while it's hard not to compare, you really can't. Mourning the past will only prevent you from enjoying the future.

I do wish some people grasped that what we had then was as special as it was, but that's really their loss.

I think weirdly enough I enjoyed the Kings, or any basketball for that matter, during 2003-2004 campaign (before Webber came back). Vlade and Brad anchoring the high post with insane cuts and passes, Peja's in-your-face threes, doug and peja connecting a couple times a game for that ridiculous no look bullet pass for a SOFT peja layup, and mike being mike. The Kings of 1st and 3rd quarters at that time were the most finesse teams ever. They didnt play ball, they played pass, catch, and dunk.

edit: oh ya was that the year Keon was here? The only good thing I remember about that guy is him burning Mavs TWICE on buzzer-beating follow-ups. He was the Mav killer that year

Last edited:
It's a new era, a different team. I'm sad the the old Kings will never get the ring they deserve, but now it is time to get behind these guys. And we've still got Brad and Mike and Peja, so they will still be the Kings. And Rick. And Geoff. And the Maloofs. And Doug is going to come over here with Dallas on opening night and just start blubbering all over the place. I guess it's nice but it's also got to be painful for Doug to open the new season in Sac. Anyway, yeah, new era, I still will pull for my Kings to win.

Oh, and I almost forgot. We're still in Sacramento. That's one thing we can be thankful hasn't changed yet.

ESP47 said:

I complely agree. I dont care that much about the game as much as the players(especaly on the 01/02/03 team ). If I see the 76ers and the kings in the finnals(yeah I know its not going to happen) I wont know who to root for. Many people feel the same way as I do.

On another note I have noticed alot of people here are talking about completely disassembling the kings team, I belive doing this would destroy alot of the fan base including myself thus making the sacramento kings team not exisit(lasvegas anyone?). So before people start talking about trading bibby and peja for someone else think about how it would effect the fanbase, you cant just trade away the core players everyone recognizes at once, but slowly so people arent as upset at the move of their favorit players.

Edit: O yeah I almost forgot, even though I did like the team of the past I am still really excited about this year and the upcoming years as a kings fan.

Last edited:
The Kings era that we all loved and enjoyed has unfortunately ended with nothing to show for it in terms of hardware. That team truly was special and its probably the crulest thing is sport that those Kings never won a championship. They truly were special, they played with flair, they played hard and had a lot of fun along the way. Everyone envied the chemistry that team shared. For those players, it was entertainment. As VF21 said, they truly took my breath away. I will NEVER forget those years. Those are the most treasured experienced.

Sacramento Kings are still alive. The names at the back might not be the same but the name at the front is. I love this team. I want them to win. I don't know how special they will be. I doubt they will be as good, but regardless I want them to win it all and I would be stoked if it happened.

We will always remember fondly those Kings of the magical era and I guess we will always have a smile and tingly feeling inside when we think of those years and fun times those players had and provided us with such special memories.

And I guess thats why I always keep an eye on every one of those Kings now that they have moved on, and I doubt I am the only one ;)

I originally got into the Kings back in 99'. They were underdogs and that attracted me. From the general consensus lately, I can determine that they may very well be underrated as ever.

I thought this team was still as exciting as ever after the Webber trade last year. I think its more than the players, I think its the fans, the environment, just the overall energy. Maybe its partially about how much respect the players have for us fans, whether it's Cuttino, Mike, Big Nasty, Doug, Skinner, Webber, its all the same. Its like we're truly the 6th man and no matter who has come here, they have appreciated our support (with the exception of very few). Plus we brought in some players, like Bonzi, that I personally, have always liked, so I am excited to see them play more than a few times a season.

Last edited:
Simply put...I will always look back fondly on those "Golden Years" with our fabulous starters and our "bench mob" but I am most definetly EXCITED about the coming season and getting to know our new team members. GO KINGS!!

HIGH ANXIETY ....

I suggest finding other interests in life ... something to occupy your mind, keep you busy ...

WHILE WE ALL "PATIENTLY" WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START

i just want to see the Kings play...they make my day if they win i and makes my day bad if they lose...guess one major characteristic of a die hard Kings fan!

i'm reallly excited this upcoming season! i have a feeling they'll overachieve and make it back to the top of WC. I'll just keep on hoping for that championship..maybe this year..who knows?

I see where's he's coming from too. Keep in mind that the team was also transitioning from permanent doormat to constant contender ...

It's a unique ride we're unlikely to experience again for a long time. We now all have those dreaded "expectations" which has forever changed our perspective as Kings fans.

I'm excited about the new team -- it's not the same as the old, but it's still Kings basketball. :)

ESP47 said:

Although you do make a good point, I do have to go with others- saying not to just pass on this year's team, just b/c its mostly not the same players. I mean, sure, who didn't love all the passes J Dub and Vlade made back then. But now we have Bibby and Peja to lead the way- sure they're style is not as exciting as back then, but its still "KINGS" basketball.

And as for the community assists, Shareef is a huge contributor to the community- just look-

[size=-1]www.nba.com/blazers/features/Shareef_AbdurRahim_Community_-99984-41.html

[/size]As for Bonzi:

"Bonzi has been a very supportive member of the Muncie community and spent countless hours working with the youth of Muncie through his summer camps. In addition, his longtime involvement with the Buley Center in Muncie has provided countless opportunities for youth in the area."

(http://www.ballstatesports.com/article/0,1382,30518-6-team,00.html)

Despite your intense love for the Kings, I think you're just still not used to seeing Vlade and Chris out there- as I am. But I personally am REALLY excited about this coming year. After all, couldn't it possibly be the winning, and the city of SACRAMENTO that made such a good chemistry, back then? I mean, this city really CARES for this team. That's whats so great, right?

I, for one -still think- and have confidence that these new kings will be great next year..

209KingsFan

I think there are two kinds of Kings fans here.

There's the fan who started following the team when they started winning, enjoyed the fast-paced, high-flying offensive that the Kings first displayed. Of course, now that that team is no more, they aren't really as excited about the Kings now than they were then. It makes sense, because they weren't fans of the team before those guys got there.

Then there's the fan (like myself) who is a fan of the team, are NorCal natives who have followed the team since before they were good, many of us when they were really really bad. I'm just as excited about the Kings now as I was in '01-'02, because I'm a fan of the Sacramento Kings, and will love whoever is wearing that uniform. They are my home team, and I will root for them and be excited for their playoff runs for life.

Not trying to say that the former aren't *true* Kings fans or whatever, because it is very likely that they are permanent followers, but I understand how you could not be as excited, just as I wasn't as excited about the Baby Bulls in the post-Jordan era.

Whichever you are (or a combo of both) we're all fans, and hopefully those who aren't excited will become so when they see this new team play. I think they're going to surprise a lot of people (including some of the realists on this board!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say I feel quite the same as the ESP47, but I certainly don't see anything wrong with feeling that way. For better or worse... it's the nature of sports, and it's something that every long-time sports fan goes through at one time or another. God knows I've been there.

The first time I went through such soul searching is when Joe Montana first dawned a Kansas City Chiefs uniform in '93(?) after serving as, what I considered the heart & soul of the 49'ers for 12 seasons. I was hopelessly lost in a land of betrayal, left with nothing but warm Pepsiā€™s, tasteless chicken wings and football with without meaning. Every fan had the same questions... was I a fan of the 49'ers or Joe Montana? Sure, I tried following the Chiefs around for some time, but it just wasn't the same, but neither where the niner's without him. Eventually I realized that I could be both a fan of players as well as a team. I soon realized that Steve Young could make magic with Rice too, and I was back in business in no time.

Bttom line is that we see beautiful new relationships form, and eventually disband in every team of every sport we dare to follow. Sooner or later we have to recognize the whole process as part of the game. It's up to us as fans to choose between following players, uniforms, or a combination of the two, and unless you're placing bets... you really can't go wrong. It's great to appreciate a specific group as a team as well as the chemistry that forms between them, but as sports fans, we have to recognize that all unions are merely in passing. Sux sometimes... but it's all part of the experience.

In the end... we follow whatever or whomever we like. It's all we can do besides cuss & cheer.

I feel much like you Rhuber. I loved that team and felt pretty devastated by the end of that particular group of guys as a team. I still get a bit misty watching old clips. Even without a championship, I am so glad for all the wonderful memories.

But just like real life...Ya can't let the loves you've lost, blind you to the new one that may be right in front of you. Different is not synonymous with worse. You can love all of your kids, even though they are totally different.

I will always be a Kings fan and I fully intend to fall in love all over again this season. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
209KingsFan said:
I think there are two kinds of Kings fans here.

There's the fan who started following the team when they started winning, enjoyed the fast-paced, high-flying offensive that the Kings first displayed. Of course, now that that team is no more, they aren't really as excited about the Kings now than they were then. It makes sense, because they weren't fans of the team before those guys got there.

Then there's the fan (like myself) who is a fan of the team, are NorCal natives who have followed the team since before they were good, many of us when they were really really bad. I'm just as excited about the Kings now as I was in '01-'02, because I'm a fan of the Sacramento Kings, and will love whoever is wearing that uniform. They are my home team, and I will root for them and be excited for their playoff runs for life.

Not trying to say that the former aren't *true* Kings fans or whatever, because it is very likely that they are permanent followers, but I understand how you could not be as excited, just as I wasn't as excited about the Baby Bulls in the post-Jordan era.

Whichever you are (or a combo of both) we're all fans, and hopefully those who aren't excited will become so when they see this new team play. I think they're going to surprise a lot of people (including some of the realists on this board!)
I completely and totally agree.

I may complain, gripe, etc. but at the end of the day, I am still a fan of the Sacramento Kings - whether they win 60 games or 16.

There is excitement in the air, and it's the excitement of the unknown. Our team has almost completely rebuilt from the glory days, and we'll always have those memories. Now, however, it's time to look forward.

It will still be Kings basketball, because it's the fans who create a lot of that excitement. As long as we're behind the team and continue to make Arco the THUNDERDOME of the NBA, the excitement will keep on keeping on. It's a true symbiotic relationship. We feed the team and the team feeds us. Thus it has been written and thus it ever shall be.

Now and forever,

GO KINGS!!!!!

I also am not quite as excited as in years past. I think it might simply be an emotional defense-mechanism. In the back of my mind lurks the haunting specter of a possible move to Las Vegas. I just am not enjoying the pre-season hyperbole and group-enthusiasm like before. I suspect my emotional status will elevate once the games start.

I feel like I have a serious health issue that is in remission and I am waiting for the bad news.

I watched the Kings as soon as they got here. At first they were mostly a curiosity to me. Then I got hooked on this hapless team that at the beginning of every year It would take me at least 2 weeks to figure out who all the new guys were.
AH! Then came the golden years. We knew our core, we knew what to expect. That was a good long ride as the game goes.
Alas, now we are back to being like in the old days. No less Kings fans. We just got a little spoiled there for awhile. I'm sure that I and others will get our "special feeling back a few games or so into this season. And then win or lose. This version of the Kings will win us over again.
And if it doesn't happen for you.....Well instead of basketball there's always basket- weaving or some other hobby to get you through.
KD

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We may be facing the upcoming season with different levels of excitement but I think we can pretty much agree on some things: We aren't going to be bored and we should have plenty to talk about around here.

:D

I never said I wasnt going to stay a King's fan. I just meant that it'll most likely never be as enjoyable as it was with that core group of guys. Ive been watching since the Spud Webb, Waymon Tisdale and Mitch Richmond days. I loved the Kings even though they sucked every year. When they finally got good, the winning wasnt the only exciting part. The way they played the game is what I found to be the best part of the team. I guess im just the kind of fan who gets more enjoyment out of the players themselves than the hardware they acheive at the end of the year.