AECOM named as lead architects

I'm trying to think outside the box like Vivek and co. What can you do with a 30,000 seat indoor/outdoor arena? I don't think the dimensions would work for an MLS team to play when the arena roof is open. Besides concerts, what is the benefit? I'm sure there is one.

Ok. 10K hanging out in the concourse.....beer lines are going to be long. I like the retractable roof idea better. I don't know why a basketball arena would need a retractable roof, but I want one. If it were me, I'd just build something like Lucas Oil Stadium and have 70,000 available for basketball seating. Then entice the Raiders to come on over.

In all seriousness, I know the design will be awesome and I look forward to seeing how the outdoor space will be utilized. You want to take advantage of the assets of the region, and one of the biggest assets in Sacramento is its weather. When the ownership group was asking for input about what should be incorporated into the arena, I made a suggestion that we need to somehow take advantage of the sunshine and mild evenings. Bring the outside in. Looks like it wasn't just myself who had that idea and it's being used. Can't wait.

It just doesn't seem real that this arena is going to happen. Not to mention its going to be the envy of the league! (if their plans add up to expectations). I'm anxious to see the renderings and final plans unveiled.

And hopefully by the time the arena opens, we'll have an exciting product to put on the floor. I opt to look at this in a positive light. Can't wait.

Ok. 10K hanging out in the concourse.....beer lines are going to be long. I like the retractable roof idea better. I don't know why a basketball arena would need a retractable roof, but I want one. If it were me, I'd just build something like Lucas Oil Stadium and have 70,000 available for basketball seating. Then entice the Raiders to come on over.

In all seriousness, I know the design will be awesome and I look forward to seeing how the outdoor space will be utilized. You want to take advantage of the assets of the region, and one of the biggest assets in Sacramento is its weather. When the ownership group was asking for input about what should be incorporated into the arena, I made a suggestion that we need to somehow take advantage of the sunshine and mild evenings. Bring the outside in. Looks like it wasn't just myself who had that idea and it's being used. Can't wait.
Even if a retractable roof was something that they wanted, it would be way too expensive and would put the project under more scrutiny than it is already from the detractors. Not only would it cost a ton but it would take up more space because it's not just the retractable roof that would be added but it's connected to the pylons at the base of the arena and if it's anything like the baseball stadiums, would require a lot of extra square footage.

Indoor arenas work perfectly for the type of events that they hold so a retractable roof would just be an unnecessary expense.

I never said I was reasonable in my desires. But maybe the people with the money are thinking along the same lines as me.

Perhaps that means a retractable roof. There are six stadiums in Major League Baseball and four in the NFL that boast retractable roofs. O’Neal suggested that that could be a possibility.

“Something like that,” the four-time NBA champion former franchise arch nemesis said. ”When he (Ranadivé) explained it to me, I didn’t (quite understand). I was like ‘okay’. But when he showed me on paper, (I thought) nice ,very nice.”

- See more at: http://cowbellkingdom.com/2013/09/25/sacramento-kings-thinking-different-with-possible-indoor-outdoor-arena/#sthash.uPepupOU.dpuf”

I never said I was reasonable in my desires. But maybe the people with the money are thinking along the same lines as me.
That's Shaq and a writer taking a concept and running with it. MLB and NFL have much larger buildings that can acommodate a retractable roof. There's a reason why the Spurs almost left SA when they played in the Alamodome. Domes don't work for the NBA and a retractable roof building will take up too much space even if they try to crunch one on top of an arena sized building.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I don't think it is a retractable roof they would be considering. But how about a glass ceiling with glass that is either clear or opaque (changable) depending on the time of day and event needs? Something like this technology (smart glass):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_glass

Just a thought. Be cool for a blimp over a game at night to be able to look into the arena and see the action, much like a football.

And I think they are likely thinking of something like AT&T park where folks can watch some of the game without paying for tickets (stand outside and look in) but with removable glass barriers so they can open them and extend the "fun" to those outside.

Just a couple thoughts. Wonder if they are anything close to what they are coming up with.

I don't think it is a retractable roof they would be considering. But how about a glass ceiling with glass that is either clear or opaque (changable) depending on the time of day and event needs? Something like this technology (smart glass):

Just a thought. Be cool for a blimp over a game at night to be able to look into the arena and see the action, much like a football.

And I think they are likely thinking of something like AT&T park where folks can watch some of the game without paying for tickets (stand outside and look in) but with removable glass barriers so they can open them and extend the "fun" to those outside.

Just a couple thoughts. Wonder if they are anything close to what they are coming up with.
I dont know why people are still discussing it. They already said it would have a glass wall area that looked into the bowl. People outside can look in or watch on a big screen outside.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I dont know why people are still discussing it. They already said it would have a glass wall area that looked into the bowl. People outside can look in or watch on a big screen outside.
Yeah, my comment was more to address the "roof" options that seem to be bandied about a bit.

Hate to have to explain myself on something unimportant, but I don't expect a retractable roof. At least not in the traditional sense.

I don't take Shaq at his word on this. I don't believe that he even really understands the plan.

However, as long as the possibility has not been eliminated, it's fun to speculate and read into any clues about what the arena will look like. I have no idea what purpose a retractable roof would serve on a basketball arena, which makes it all the more amusing to me that the idea is out there.

It's being discussed because there are still articles out there that are misleading people. The Shaq/Cowbell Kingdom article is just one right now. We're merely setting the record straight against the bad info that is out there.

I certainly like that idea more than the retractable one but we still need to consider costs. Roofs are usually the toughest and most time consuming part of construction. A glass roof would be tough to integrate into the building and would likely be costly.

OTOH, a glass exterior would be great. And because it's already glass and we're able to see through it, there would be no reason to open up the doors. Just let the fans watch through the glass exterior and then the ones that don't have a good view can watch on the big screens. It tends to get cold in the winter and really hot in the summer so opening up the doors would have an adverse effect as well.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I certainly like that idea more than the retractable one but we still need to consider costs. Roofs are usually the toughest and most time consuming part of construction. A glass roof would be tough to integrate into the building and would likely be costly.

OTOH, a glass exterior would be great. And because it's already glass and we're able to see through it, there would be no reason to open up the doors. Just let the fans watch through the glass exterior and then the ones that don't have a good view can watch on the big screens. It tends to get cold in the winter and really hot in the summer so opening up the doors would have an adverse effect as well.
The cost to the City is capped, so any additional costs would be on the private side. And Vivek doesn't seem to be overly concerned about costs right now.

The cost to the City is capped, so any additional costs would be on the private side. And Vivek doesn't seem to be overly concerned about costs right now.
I agree. I wouldn't be totally surprised if the city's share of the cost declines. Wouldn't that just bug the heck out of the STOP folks? ;)