A little advice would be nice :)

I am 17. Just graduated from High School.
I'm really stuck between 2 career choices. One offers less time to achieve while the other offers more money. Either way I'm going to start off at a community college.

1. After some time at a community college to get ahead, I will join the academy to become a police officer.

2. After a year or two at a community college, I will transfer to a UC in order to continue studying and majoring in Business Management so that one day I can open a restaurant or hopefully a chain of restaurants.

What do you guys think would be the better option?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I am 17. Just graduated from High School.
I'm really stuck between 2 career choices. One offers less time to achieve while the other offers more money. Either way I'm going to start off at a community college.

1. After some time at a community college to get ahead, I will join the academy to become a police officer.

2. After a year or two at a community college, I will transfer to a UC in order to continue studying and majoring in Business Management so that one day I can open a restaurant or hopefully a chain of restaurants.

What do you guys think would be the better option?
Which do you really want to do? I wouldn't be so concerned about $$$ at 17, find what you think you want to do and pursue it. Might take a bit longer to "pay off" but it will be the better decision. Don't chase $$$ at the expense of personal satisfaction. Do what YOU want to do.

And if $$$ is a concern, you may want to check out the CSU schools instead of a UC. :)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
You're 17, you will rethink these things quite a bit. I don't think you should be in such a hurry, the two paths you laid out are almost exact opposites of one another so it leads me to believe you may be rushing things a bit.

If you want a business degree study fun stuff as an undergrad then get an MBA. MBA carries a lot more weight and if you get a bachelor's and MBA its a lot of duplication of effort. The undergrad degree is good if you plan on getting a master's in another professional field. Just my opinion, but I do have a BS in Business and I wouldn't have done it that way if I could get a do over.

Also know what you're getting into if you want to own restaurants. Loooooong hours and relatively low margins. Definitely something that you need to love. Can be hard on a family. Lots of personal experience here (3 generations worth in one form or another).

That said, follow your dreams.

Don't be in a rush. I agree with Warhawk- the fact that you are considering two very different options leads me to think that you probably just need more time to figure out your true passion.

Lucky for you, you have NOTHING BUT time. The money will come. Notice that both of your options start with a few years at community college. That means you don't need to make an immediate decision. So, spend a few years at CC, get a part time job while at CC, and save up some money. Maybe take a business class at CC and see if you actually like business. or maybe get your part-time job working in a restaurant and befriend the owner (use him/her as a sort of mentor). Talk to police officers, research the academies, etc... Use the gift of time to figure to what you really want.

There is nothing worse than thinking you have to plan your life out at 17 (take that from someone who made that same mistake). Money comes and goes- doing what you love will make you happy for a long time...

You have some time to think it over, but that is wildly different career paths. Community college is probably a good choice. You can get a lot of the GED requirements out of the way, while you research the fields you are interested iin pursuing. Where your heart really is.

One thing I've learned is that most decisions are not going to be forever. More than ever, people change professions a few times in their life. You can almost always redecide where you want your life to go.

The life I've had hasn't been anything like what I imagined it would be at 17. The results have been good and sometimes bad, but I really don't regret my choices. As I approach 60 :eek:, I know I can still change my life, can still change my direction. I could even go back to school. :)

YESSIRR!! To answer your question, go with choice #2. It will allow you to get some school done and give you some time to let the economy improve. I had a buddy that tried to join the LAPD and he couldnt get in because the state is broke and there are very few hirings happening in police departments. You can always go to school and be on your way to whatever career it is that youre looking at and then have a change of heart and become a police officer. Choice #2, go to school.