5-time NBA champion Tim Duncan retires after 19 seasons

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Enjoy your life Tim, you earned it! He was a true class act that young players could all learn from.
To be perfectly honest, he may or may not have been a class act, depending on how you define it. But, he definitely kept his private life private, so young players could learn from his example, either way. I reckon that I prefer to think of him as a "true class act," too, but only the Sith speak in absolutes... :p

Greatest PF of all time; arguably the greatest player of the post-Jordan era.

I knew it was coming, but nonetheless I know this season will feel somewhat odd knowing he's not playing anymore. It's the end of an era. First Kobe, now Tim, and KG/Dirk will be next. The guys I grew up with are leaving the game, and for several reasons, that makes me sad.

One wonders how time moves so quickly.... sigh.

I knew it was coming, but nonetheless I know this season will feel somewhat odd knowing he's not playing anymore. It's the end of an era. First Kobe, now Tim, and KG/Dirk will be next. The guys I grew up with are leaving the game, and for several reasons, that makes me sad.

One wonders how time moves so quickly.... sigh.
Same here, although not so much for KG who's been pretty irrelevant for a number of years already.

Greatest PF to play, and I am quite excited to see what happens to the Spurs' organisation in the next 10 years. Will feel very different without him.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
[Tin Foil Hat mode] Alternatively, the 1996 draft lottery took place before the deadline to declare for the draft, and Duncan didn't want to go to the Sixers, so he went back for one more year? [/TFHm]

Same here, although not so much for KG who's been pretty irrelevant for a number of years already.

Greatest PF to play, and I am quite excited to see what happens to the Spurs' organisation in the next 10 years. Will feel very different without him.
I hear this all the time but I can't for the life of me, figure out why he is better than Karl Malone.

Karl Malone was a really good post defender. He was not as good as duncan but he also averaged 6 more points a game with better overall efficiency than Duncan. The rebound numbers are virtually the same and Karl was a much better passer. I am not saying that Karl is for sure better. I jsut don't understand why it isn't even a discussion.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I value defense way more than offense. Duncan was a better defender than Malone.

As to efficiency... it's a shame that B-R.com's shooting statistics only go back to 2000-01, because I'd be interested in seeing those numbers for Prime!Malone. B-R.com indicates that, from 2000-01 until he retired, 80.4 percent of Malone's 2-point attempts and 85.7 of his 3-point attempts were assisted, compared to 54.6 and 78.6 percent for Duncan. Now, obviously Duncan played almost his entire career with that as a recorded metric, and Malone only played the last four years of his career with it, but seeing as how Malone played something like 97 percent of his career with the all-time career assist leader, I'm not inclined to assume that his career numbers would be much lower than 80.4/85.7. I am highly doubtful that the number is even below 70 percent, let alone below 60 percent; it's probably somewhere around 75 percent, for his career. And well... when you're getting spoon-fed for three-quarters of your shots, I would certainly hope that you can be efficient at it.

Karl Malone was a really good post defender. He was not as good as duncan but he also averaged 6 more points a game with better overall efficiency than Duncan. The rebound numbers are virtually the same and Karl was a much better passer. I am not saying that Karl is for sure better. I jsut don't understand why it isn't even a discussion.
tim duncan wasn't just a good defender; he was transformative on that end. oh, and he led the spurs to five championships throughout his career. there are few two-way PF's who had as big an impact as duncan did for his team.

I value defense way more than offense. Duncan was a better defender than Malone.

As to efficiency... it's a shame that B-R.com's shooting statistics only go back to 2000-01, because I'd be interested in seeing those numbers for Prime!Malone. B-R.com indicates that, from 2000-01 until he retired, 80.4 percent of Malone's 2-point attempts and 85.7 of his 3-point attempts were assisted, compared to 54.6 and 78.6 percent for Duncan. Now, obviously Duncan played almost his entire career with that as a recorded metric, and Malone only played the last four years of his career with it, but seeing as how Malone played something like 97 percent of his career with the all-time career assist leader, I'm not inclined to assume that his career numbers would be much lower than 80.4/85.7. I am highly doubtful that the number is even below 70 percent, let alone below 60 percent; it's probably somewhere around 75 percent, for his career. And well... when you're getting spoon-fed for three-quarters of your shots, I would certainly hope that you can be efficient at it.

In the same number of years in the NBA Karl Malone scored 10,500 more points. I guess that is easy to discount though because most of them were spoon-fed. I know you value defense way more than offense (which doesn't make any sense) but it isn't like Malone was easy to score on and almost always guarded the other teams best post player in the 4th quarter in close games. He also did this in an era that had Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Barkley, Ewing etc...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
In the same number of years in the NBA Karl Malone scored 10,500 more points. I guess that is easy to discount though because most of them were spoon-fed. I know you value defense way more than offense (which doesn't make any sense) but it isn't like Malone was easy to score on and almost always guarded the other teams best post player in the 4th quarter in close games. He also did this in an era that had Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Barkley, Ewing etc...
You think that Nowitzki is better than Garnett, too, don't you?

Are Malone's points "easy to discount"? Maybe, maybe not. But, when you're getting handed the ball at the rim for layups, or getting handed the ball in your sweet spot for a pull-up jumper, and the other guy is getting his against double teams, don't come at me with efficiency numbers.

in the time Duncan anchored the Spurs defense, they had two years, in which they didn't have a top10 defense, three, in which they didn't have a top5 defense (which includes the two times out of the top10) and, if I didn't miscount, 6 years in which they weren't top2. that's legendary stuff. the man has a credible claim to be the best defensive player of all times, while at the same time being a great offensive force. I'm not that familiar with Malone's work on the defensive end, but a cursory glance at where the Jazz ended up defensively during his tenor, tells me he can't be anywhere near as good as Duncan.

anyway, loved Timmy, great player, great demeanour. I'll miss him.

Ringzzz