#5 for Bynum (loose parameters of a deal)?

I am in no way advocating this, but would you make a trade centered around #5 for Bynum(i know there would have to be fillers to make it work). LA may be looking to blow it up and rebuild. Bynum seems to have burned some bridges down in LA and may have killed any potential big deal trade value he once had (although im sure the delusional Lakers still think they can flip him for Howard). It would allow LA to get a high pick in a deep draft and move towards a rebuild. It would give the Kings a solid big man to pair with Cousins. Those 2 would form a pretty formidable duo. My problem(s) though are these. Bynum is a malcontent who would probably only be worse in our leadership deprived locker room, he is inconsistent and does not always bring it every night and finally his knee injury history. Despite all these, he would still most likely be better than anyone we pick at 5 and he is still young. Just some food for thought.

I'd be really iffy about it because he is kind of a jerk and his knees are glass. You don't take shots of OrthoVisc unless your knees are pretty damaged and close to arthritic. It's basically there to stave off microfracture surgery for the time being. That said, he could always do what Kobe did for his arthritic knees and go to Germany and see that scientist who does that interleukin therapy I believe it's called. He dissed Sac earlier this year, although I think that had more to do with feeling slighted and immature, and the fact that he's on the Lakers. Overall I would do it because he's the 2nd-3rd best center in the NBA right there with Cousins, and he has the game to make a twin towers approach work. He'd help our shot blocking and our rebounding quite a bit, and his offensive game isn't bad either.

Nope. Wrong mindset, history of injuries. Doesn't get along with Cuz (you forget Cuz's comments?). Plus he has a team option for 1 year. Why risk trading for a player that could be a 1 year rental?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't trust Bynum as far as I can throw him. Not as a teammate or person. And his comments from earlier this year to Cousins, something along the lines of Sacramento is a terrible franchise, its terrible Cousins is stuck there, don't exactly make me think he would stay if you did get him. Throw in some worrying injury history/potential, and he's a real risk.

But OP, this is the right sort of thinking -- if our guy isn't there at #5, try to use it to bring in an impact guy to fill the role. Its just that Bynum as a person could be poison for the Kings, and then might very well bolt leaving us empty handed and having blown a very high pick for the honor.

Besides the facts that others have mentioned already, I think if either of the 2 bigs from LA leave, it'll be Pau not Bynum.

Unless the Lakers can land Dwight, they will only let 1 of them walk.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can think of a lot of reasons I wouldn't do this deal. A lot of them already mentioned. Mostly, I just don't like Bynum. I don't like a player thats grinning from ear to ear right after losing a playoff game. Also, I don't think the Lakers are ready to blow it up just yet. As long as Kobe can keep producing, I think they'll try and plug up the holes in the damm. However, tick tock, the clock is running on them. Of course some idiot team might pop up and take some of the dead timber off their hands so they can attract a Howard or a Williams.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I can think of a lot of reasons I wouldn't do this deal. A lot of them already mentioned. Mostly, I just don't like Bynum. I don't like a player thats grinning from ear to ear right after losing a playoff game. Also, I don't think the Lakers are ready to blow it up just yet. As long as Kobe can keep producing, I think they'll try and plug up the holes in the damm. However, tick tock, the clock is running on them. Of course some idiot team might pop up and take some of the dead timber off their hands so they can attract a Howard or a Williams.
If they want to blow up the team, they need to amnesty the guy who will make $30 mil in a couple years. The fans would go nuts but it would allow them all the flexibility to rebuild that they could possibly need. Their concern is not cashflow but cap room.

Just plain NO!

Said this before but whoever gets to be this shotblocker for us, he will need to have the ability to guard PFs and Cs! I just can't see Buynum doing that! If Cousins is our guys moving forward (and he bloody well should be) then the perfect play to pair him with would be Ibaka. Since we got no hope of getting him, it needs to be someone mobile and athletic enough to guard both frontcourt positions.

This is where Dalembert was handy! One night he would guard Dirk, then the next he would be up against Howard! We need that type of player!

Just plain NO!

Said this before but whoever gets to be this shotblocker for us, he will need to have the ability to guard PFs and Cs! I just can't see Buynum doing that! If Cousins is our guys moving forward (and he bloody well should be) then the perfect play to pair him with would be Ibaka. Since we got no hope of getting him, it needs to be someone mobile and athletic enough to guard both frontcourt positions.

This is where Dalembert was handy! One night he would guard Dirk, then the next he would be up against Howard! We need that type of player!
But but .. We have Chuck Hayes! I actually think Hayes can be valuable for us, but as a 4th big off the bench for man to man defense on a post player.

I'd assume the Lakers would package both Gasol and Bynum for Howard. That allows them to put Hill into the starting lineup and make LA an attractive landing spot for Deron Williams.

Beside that point. Bynum is very immature and would not help the youth that this team has and he would not provide the vet leadership either. He is a dirty player. He sometimes takes plays if not games off. But he is also a known big man who has succeeded in the NBA rather than taking a chance on a huge question mark like Drummond. Bynum can rebound and block shots. He has good post moves. But he also gets pissed if he gets no touches and Cousins would clearly get more. The fact that this team has Thornton, IT and Evans along with Cousins does not make Bynum a good addition.