49ers to interview Romeo Crennel.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's the text of the article, so I can comment on part of it. ;)

John York said he would be aggressive in finding a replacement for the departed Dennis Erickson and he has started the process. The 49ers have asked for and received permission to interview New England Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel.

Crennel becomes the first candidate to interview for the vacant position. The interview is set for Saturday.

Considered by most NFL experts to be one of the top assistant coaches in the league, Crennel has served as the Patriots defensive coordinator since 2001. His 2001 defense played an integral role in New England’s Super Bowl Championship season. His defense allowed just 272 points (17.0 ppg), ranking sixth in the league and fourth in franchise history for fewest points allowed.

The Patriots defense created opportunities for the offense in 2001 by recording 22 interceptions (second in the AFC, sixth in the NFL). That was an increase of over the 2000 season and five of the interceptions were returned for touchdowns.

Crennel’s 2003 defense proved to be one of the finest – and most dominant -- in league history as they were again pivotal as the Patriots claimed Super Bowl XXXVIII. His group allowed a league-low and franchise-record 14.9 points per game, while also leading the league with 29 interceptions that season.

New England’s 2004 defense is again one of the NFL’s best, despite sustaining numerous injuries. Heading into the postseason, the Patriots rank ninth in total defense, sixth against the run and second in scoring, allowing a paltry 16.2 points per game. Crennel has been forced to use a variety of schemes and players this season, including playing wide receiver Troy Brown as an extra defensive back. Brown is second on the Patriots with three interceptions.

In all, Crennel has been involved with the NFL for 24 seasons and has 35 years of coaching under his belt. His professional stops include stints with the New York Giants, New York Jets, Cleveland Browns and two separate terms with the Patriots.

He has been associated with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick for 18 NFL seasons, during which time they have earned four Super Bowl titles, five conference titles and seven division titles. While with the Patriots, Crennel and Belichick have contributed to victories in Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVIII in addition to New England’s AFC title in 1996.

----------------------------------------------

Okay. This looks at least interesting. Let's see how much $$$ York is willing to part with to make a deal before we get too excited, however.

I'll admit to being pretty skeptical right now. All of a sudden, York is gonna cut loose with some $$$ for a new coach, pay off the old coach contracts, AND pay for the first pick of the 2005 draft?

Who is this guy and what did he do with John York? On second thought, I don't think I care what he did with the old John York as long as it's permanent.

:D