44K season ticket requests for Seattle? (merged)

Numbers from hansens priority ticket waiting list:

16,138 Business seats
28,738 Individual seats
44,877 total seats interested.

sonics-priority-ticket-results-table.jpg

actually theyve updated their numbers and made it more clear with this graph

983 sponsorships and 263 suites as well, staggering, almost unbelieveable total numbers

When you do something like this with ridiculous numbers, it throws into question any other data you provide. Hansen may have shot himself in the foot with this.

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
44K season ticket requests for Seattle?

SEATTLE (AP) -- The man who's trying to bring the NBA's Sacramento Kings to Seattle says fans have requested 44,000 season tickets in the event the team actually relocates.

More...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
View attachment 4234

983 sponsorships and 263 suites as well, staggering, almost unbelieveable total numbers
I'd like to see the numbers of teams like the Heat, Lakers, etc. I think that would show how overstated these figures actually are. Creative accounting at its very best.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Also from the article:

Hedge fund manager Chris Hansen had urged Seattle fans to join a ''priority ticket waitlist'' to show the NBA how strong support is for bringing professional men's basketball back to the city and calls the result ''nothing short of stunning.''
Yeah, "nothing short of stunning" pretty much sums it up. So does "farcical beyond belief" and "blatant chicanery in an attempt to fool the BoG"...

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
View attachment 4234

So I guess Balmer and Hansen will have no qualms about building an enormous 44,000 seat arena... unless of course they were to look at actual ticket sales the last 5 seasons. ;)

Listening to Grant today I thought I heard a caller or two bringing up that Seattle potentially had 40,000+ that pledged to buy at least a ticket next year and 900+ businesses that pledged support - this is plain b.s., that are lies created to undermine our fantastic 10,000 fan support for season tickets. I hope I heard wrong, and if Hansen/Balmer are indeed going to peddle those lies tomorrow that it will catch up to them

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Listening to Grant today I thought I heard a caller or two bringing up that Seattle potentially had 40,000+ that pledged to buy at least a ticket next year and 900+ businesses that pledged support - this is plain b.s., that are lies created to undermine our fantastic 10,000 fan support for season tickets. I hope I heard wrong, and if Hansen/Balmer are indeed going to peddle those lies tomorrow that it will catch up to them
Their system of counting "ticket requests" is flawed at best and, at worst, downright fraudulant. I personally entered myself in just to see what would happen.

Yep, here it is from Sonicsarena.com

As promised, we would like to announce the results of our Priority Ticket Waitlist… and they are nothing short of stunning.

As can be seen in the table below, in a little over two weeks, we received requests for over 44,000 Full Season tickets, 268 suites and had 983 businesses interested in sponsorship opportunities. Perhaps even more stunning is that we received over 32,000 Full Season Ticket requests in the first 24 hours of our Priority Waitlist going live — including a frustrating first 30 minutes when you all were able to knock our site offline with over 6,000 hits per second!

lies created to undermine our efforts to keep our team, I'm only hoping karma enters here

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yep, here it is from Sonicsarena.com

As promised, we would like to announce the results of our Priority Ticket Waitlist… and they are nothing short of stunning.

As can be seen in the table below, in a little over two weeks, we received requests for over 44,000 Full Season tickets, 268 suites and had 983 businesses interested in sponsorship opportunities. Perhaps even more stunning is that we received over 32,000 Full Season Ticket requests in the first 24 hours of our Priority Waitlist going live — including a frustrating first 30 minutes when you all were able to knock our site offline with over 6,000 hits per second!

lies created to undermine our efforts to keep our team, I'm only hoping karma enters here
Karma and logic will totally defeat them. 6,000 hits per second? Hello? Do the math. 6,000 x 60 x 30 = 10,800,000 hits in those first 30 minutes. Even if they walk it back and say it was 600 hits per second (for a total of 1,800,000) or 6,000 hits per minute (for a total of 180,000), the numbers just are not logical. If support for Sonics tickets was that high, they never would have lost the team to begin with. In fact, if you think about it, there are only two ways they could get those kinds of numbers: 1) Seattle is now in China, or 2) Blatant shenanigans with massive rehits.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, after posting that I realized they probably weren't claiming 6,000 per second for the entire 30 minutes, but I still claim it's hogwash pure and simple. Those are astronomical numbers and I doubt if they're going to be believed.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Okay, after posting that I realized they probably weren't claiming 6,000 per second for the entire 30 minutes, but I still claim it's hogwash pure and simple. Those are astronomical numbers and I doubt if they're going to be believed.
Well ultimately what Hansen would have the BOG believe is that in the 5 years since Sea-town has had an NBA team an additional 30,000 people have developed stong enough interest in Seattle/NBA basketball to sign up for season tickets...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well ultimately what Hansen would have the BOG believe is that in the 5 years since Sea-town has had an NBA team an additional 30,000 people have developed stong enough interest in Seattle/NBA basketball to sign up for season tickets...
I'd like to run an IP comparison on all those hits... After all, Microsoft does have a vested interest in this deal.

Just sayin'

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Twitter:

Stephen Tetsu ‏@STEPHEN_TETSU 1h

There are ten bazillion people looking for seats at Sonics games and only half of them have an email starting with "sexy"

Those numbers are so made up

look at these numbers

62,700 Facebook Fans of Sonics Arena
15,329 Twitter Followers
8,000+ people showed up to our rally on June 14, 2012
23,272 emails were sent to elected officials through SonicsArena.com, and countless numbers more directly from our fans
11,255 people signed the online petition
164 business signed our online petition
85 business lobbied the City Council on our behalf
1,000+ fans showed up at the City Council meeting to express their support for the return of the NBA – and the City Council stayed until midnight to hear all of you!

they dont even jive

Those numbers are so made up

look at these numbers

62,700 Facebook Fans of Sonics Arena
15,329 Twitter Followers
8,000+ people showed up to our rally on June 14, 2012
23,272 emails were sent to elected officials through SonicsArena.com, and countless numbers more directly from our fans
11,255 people signed the online petition
164 business signed our online petition
85 business lobbied the City Council on our behalf
1,000+ fans showed up at the City Council meeting to express their support for the return of the NBA – and the City Council stayed until midnight to hear all of you!

they dont even jive
I guarantee a huge portion of those signups were spammed. There is zero chance that they had 44k individual inquiries for a season tickets. Even so, they were inquiries as opposed to our pledges. When you have dollar signs show up in your face it really makes you sincere when you signup for something like this, as opposed to the sonics site where it was literally.. "give us your email and your good". I'm as hard core of a kings fan as they come but even I didn't pledge for season tickets because I'm honest....im only 21 and dont make much so pledging to blow 1/3 of a years pay on a single season ticket would have been irresponsible of me. Now if i was just shown a form to signup without any monetary value associated with it I probably would have done it.

Not to mention just the common sense of it... Our passion to keep our team is MUCH greater than there passion to steal it. They know they can just go after the next sorry bunch or that expansion may be a possiblity. We spent weeks making sure the word got out, on the internet, on the radio, friends, family, co workers you name it... And your going to tell me that sonics fans surpassed all of that effort in a single day before word barely got out? Right. That makes sense.

Well no wonder the Mariners have not wanted to see the Sonics return. I guess they are all NBA fans up there. Because in 2011 the Mariners averaged 23,411 and 21,258 in 2012. Even had only 11,000 show up at a game in April 2012!

Obviously they were so sad that the Sonics left that they were too depressed to actually attend another sporting event. Ok enough sarcasm. The point is that Seattle is not some hot bed of rabid sports fanatics if the team is not playing well. And they want to add the NBA and NHL in there to fight for fan money?

That chart says season tickets and "equivalent." I'm assuming that enough people willing to buy one ticket (with no price indicated) were added together to equal 41 games of tickets. So I could go and say I'm willing to buy two tickets and I'm added to other people willing to buy tickets to equal 41 (season tickets "equivalent".) Of course, if that means I'm only willing to spend $25/ticket, it's pretty meaningless, as there are only so many tickets to be had at a low price.

On the other hand, Here We Buy solicited people willing to buy SEASON tickets (41 tickets, not just a single ticket). Also, price ranges were estimated, so you had some idea of the amount you were pledging.

Last edited:
Even as an outsider... Those numbers are the biggest load of horse hockey that I've ever seen.

They may have 44K folks that would "like" to go or have the NBA back in Seattle that said "sure, I'd buy tickets", but that is different than having 44K people that will spend a minimum of $1,500 to $2,000 just to get 1 season ticket.