2017 Team Discussion and Possible Trades

I guess if you
Yeah, I'd put him like top 20 or 25 player pretty easily. He's good enough to be an elite #2 guy. Cousins & Millsap would easily be the best frontcourt in the league. It would be a lot of fun watching them play.
So, do the Kings roll the dice? This would be, pretty much, the one and only way to get a second top 20 player in SAC without another draft miracle (see: Demarcus Cousins).

I guess if you

So, do the Kings roll the dice? This would be, pretty much, the one and only way to get a second top 20 player in SAC without another draft miracle (see: Demarcus Cousins).
Look at it this way. Would you rather have option A or option B?

Option A
Draft a top 10 player in the 2017 draft (which is supposed to be the strongest in the past decade) in hopes that you can move that player in a trade for a 2nd star on a longer term deal or that he becomes the 2nd star next to Cousins. Also, you'd be able to keep other assets like Richardson, Bogdanovic, Labissiere, Cauley-Stein, & Papagiannis who might just end up developing into stars, and if not, potentially good starters/rotational players.

Option B
Get Millsap as our 2nd star and run the risk of him leaving in the offseason, or if we do resign him, run the risk that his age catches up with him (32 next season) and he's not able to help carry this team to the 2nd round/WCF. In the meantime, you lose a top 10 2017 pick and some other assets such as Richardson, Bogdanovic, Labissiere, Cauley-Stein, & Papagiannis.

Personally, I'm taking Option A. I think it would be a very bad move to lose our pick this year. I know everyone wants to win this year (me included - check the game threads), but in the long run, it sets us up for the brightest future. With the new CBA, I'm very confident we keep Cousins so let's start gathering young talent right now to develop around him. Trade Gay for Payne. Trade Casspi for Delon Wright. Trade Collison for Dekker/McDaniels. That way we secure our 1st this year and get some young assets for our expirings.

Payne / Wright
Temple / Bogdanovic / Richardson
Dekker / Barnes
Labissiere / Cauley-Stein
Cousins / Koufos / Papagiannis
***2017 1st***

That's a good amount of youth and potential to develop around Cousins.

K

KingMilz

Do we really want to max out a 32 yearold Millsap? He'll be due $35million...

I don't know how his game will hold up as he ages.
There's better option next year for 2nd stars ideally this year we would want to trade for someone who has potential to be good NEXT year or be a really good system fit in the future (e.g Payne) but still allow us to tank enough for the pick, Millsap imo is too good of a player for us to be able to keep our pick while it would be fun in the short term it would most likely completely destroy anything and everything in the medium/long term.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
We're already losing half our team to free agency. The one thing we cannot afford to do right now is trade our young guys or our draft picks and I can't see what else Atlanta would want for Millsap. Here's what the front office needs to recognize, if they haven't already: we took our shot last season. We traded 3 years worth of draft rights and our previous lottery pick for cap space, used that cap space on veterans, and went for it with George Karl. It was a total flameout disaster. We could have kept that team and just changed coaches but instead we downgraded to role-players on 1 year deals and stockpiled 4 first rounders. There is no patch job that's going to fix this. Trading the few players remaining that we can actually build around for a 31 year old with an expiring contract is suicide at this point. You don't fix a mistake by repeating it a year later. We can't possibly be that desperate to sellout the arena 2 more times this season. That's the most short-sighted goal possible and I refuse to believe that we could possibly be that stupid. We should be trying to move our veterans instead. They're not pushing us even to .500 win pace so we'd be better off cutting them loose and trying again with smarter signings and youngsters.

If we're targeting any star player in trade right now it should be Jimmy Butler. He's only 27, he's on a reasonably affordable 3 year deal, he replaces the departing Rudy Gay at SF, and he gives us the inside-outside dimension we're lacking. The Bulls are more likely to take some of our expiring contracts in return as salary filler than Atlanta is (because of that long-term deal) and they probably would prefer that we win enough games to give them our pick this year.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Knicks are interested in PJ Tucker 4 way deal

Knicks get: PJ Tucker
Houston get: KK
Kings get : Kyle O'Quinn
Suns get: Brewer

I could see the Suns saying no but Brewer actually fits there system really well, Houston want KK I think O'Quinn/Cousins could work together or separate and O'Quinn is on a ridiculously good deal basically a 1st round draft pick deal the Knicks get Jeff Hornachek favorite "sun" PJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knicks are interested in PJ Tucker 4 way deal

Knicks get: PJ Tucker
Houston get: KK
Kings get : Kyle O'Quinn
Suns get: Brewer

I could see the Suns saying no but Brewer actually fits there system really well, Houston want KK I think O'Quinn/Cousins could work together or separate and O'Quinn is on a ridiculously good deal basically a 1st round draft pick deal the Knicks get Jeff Hornachek favorite "sun" PJ.
Why would we do this trade?

With the lack of heart demonstrated these last couple of games and a daunting schedule ahead of us I think it could be time to start the tank. This really sucks and I never really had high hopes for this team to begin with. Everything should be on the table and Vlade and company need to make a decision on #15 either max him or trade him for players & picks to a team like Chicago for Jimmy Butler and their picks current and future.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Toronto might actually give Cleveland a run for their money if they pick up Millsap. That's a slam dunk trade for them if it's for young players and/or picks. Our interest is a little distressing because it means we're still looking for a quick fix when a whole lot more than one big trade is needed. Millsap is really good but picking him up with an expiring contract means we're going for it which means no Rudy trade, no Darren trade, no draft pick, and a very uncertain future. It's like going all-in and hoping you get a hand on the river. Bold but not particularly smart.

Toronto might actually give Cleveland a run for their money if they pick up Millsap. That's a slam dunk trade for them if it's for young players and/or picks. Our interest is a little distressing because it means we're still looking for a quick fix when a whole lot more than one big trade is needed. Millsap is really good but picking him up with an expiring contract means we're going for it which means no Rudy trade, no Darren trade, no draft pick, and a very uncertain future. It's like going all-in and hoping you get a hand on the river. Bold but not particularly smart.
I think Toronto has to make this trade. Their window is not going to be open for forever, and Millsap would give them a better shot at making it past Cleveland.

Interesting. Ich hadnt thought about it that way. Intuitively, I assumed that Millsap would allow us even more to move Rudy for a young player because he would replace the scoring. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I think Toronto has to make this trade. Their window is not going to be open for forever, and Millsap would give them a better shot at making it past Cleveland.
I feel like it gives them a better shot at beating Cleveland, but it doesn't give them a real shot at beating the Warriors. If the Spurs made the finals instead, then I think the Raptors would have a good chance to win in 6 or 7.

I don't understand the hesitation from the Raptors right now. Maybe they're scared of another semi-Rudy Gay situation? Millsap is more of an iso scorer, and he would take shots away from DeRozan and Lowry. Of course he won't be their #1 scorer like Rudy was, but I don't know.

I think all they would need to give up is one of their young bigs from this year, along with their draftpick.

K

KingMilz

The LeVert kid playing for the Nets has good potetinal imo as a SG maybe try do a deal there for WCS. I wonder if the Nets would be willing to part ways with Trevor Booker (who we should have signed in the offseason) in return for something we have, he's very much what we need in terms of a tremendous rebounder on a very team friendly deal who can cover stretch 4's.

Last edited by a moderator:
The LeVert kid playing for the Nets has good potetinal imo as a SG maybe try do a deal there for WCS. I wonder if the Nets would be willing to part ways with Trevor Booker (who we should have signed in the offseason) in return for something we have, he's very much what we need in terms of a tremendous rebounder on a very team friendly deal who can cover stretch 4's.
There not trading him for someone like WCS

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There not trading him for someone like WCS
I love how quickly people give up on young players. I heard similar comments about Whiteside when he was here, and look at him now. I've said it a million times, big men take longer to adjust to the NBA than the little guys. It usually takes a minimum of three years, sometimes four. If you don't have that patience, then go ahead and give him up for nothing, and let someone else reap the benefits of your efforts in a couple of years. If Nik Stauskas was on our team right now, instead of McLemore, one could argue that he's the second best SG on the team behind only Temple. He's having a very nice break out year, and we gave him away for almost nothing.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I love how quickly people give up on young players. I heard similar comments about Whiteside when he was here, and look at him now. I've said it a million times, big men take longer to adjust to the NBA than the little guys. It usually takes a minimum of three years, sometimes four. If you don't have that patience, then go ahead and give him up for nothing, and let someone else reap the benefits of your efforts in a couple of years. If Nik Stauskas was on our team right now, instead of McLemore, one could argue that he's the second best SG on the team behind only Temple. He's having a very nice break out year, and we gave him away for almost nothing.
I hear that patience is a virtue...maybe that quote needs to be implanted in the buildings of Golden 1 Center and the front office buildings