2017 Team Discussion and Possible Trades

Which team do you honestly think would give you some value via trade for Papa right now? What do you realistically think we could get for him? My post was in response to someone saying he is a current asset over Ben, which isn't true. He is such a big project I am not sure anyone would give you anything for him right now. I have heard from folks within the Kings organization that the team desperately wanted Jaylen Brown. Thought at one point we would get him, then tried to trade up, it didn't work out so trade back and take Papa where they thought. I am not bashing Papa right now - even though it is unlikely he is ever "good", I am saying he doesn't have more value than Ben asset wise, as of TODAY
I don't know it's gotta be close because neither of them are NBA quality players today imo. MAYBE Ben has more value but we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here and even then I'm not sure because he's older and 4 years in and will cost a team more to add to their roster. I'm sure they wanted J. Brown but he went top 3 so we never had a chance at him.

Which team do you honestly think would give you some value via trade for Papa right now? What do you realistically think we could get for him? My post was in response to someone saying he is a current asset over Ben, which isn't true. He is such a big project I am not sure anyone would give you anything for him right now. I have heard from folks within the Kings organization that the team desperately wanted Jaylen Brown. Thought at one point we would get him, then tried to trade up, it didn't work out so trade back and take Papa where they thought. I am not bashing Papa right now - even though it is unlikely he is ever "good", I am saying he doesn't have more value than Ben asset wise, as of TODAY
Oh but he is. A 19 year old project big who has 3.5 more years on his rookie contract during s time when the salary cap will sky rocket vs. a player who will be expiring/off the rookie scale and has disappointed for 3.5 years now.

You're obviously very biased against Papa as you like to bring it up time and time again, but Papa hasn't looked too shabby in the D-League as a 19 year old...

Per36: 55% TS% / 52% FG% / 74% FT% / 15.2 PPG / 9.6 RPG / 0.5 APG / 0.8 SPG / 3.0 BPG / 1.9 TOPG

Like I said before, I'd rather take a chance on an unknown than a player who has proven he is bad time and time again.

K

KingsFan80

Oh but he does. A 19 year old project big who has 3.5 more years on his rookie contract during s time when the salary cap will sky rocket vs. a player who will be expiring/off the rookie scale and has disappointed for 3.5 years now.

You're obviously very biased against Papa as you like to bring it up time and time again, but Papa hasn't looked too shabby in the D-League as a 19 year old...

Per36: 55% TS% / 52% FG% / 74% FT% / 15.2 PPG / 9.6 RPG / 0.5 APG / 0.8 SPG / 3.0 BPG / 1.9 TOPG

Like I said before, I'd rather take a chance on an unknown than a player who has proven he is bad time and time again.
Again, I am not attacking Papa's play right now, I just don't believe he has much value as an asset right now. I asked this earlier, what exactly do you think we could get for him that we couldn't get for Ben if we decided to trade papa NOW?

Again, I am not attacking Papa's play right now, I just don't believe he has much value as an asset. I asked this earlier, what exactly do you think we could get for him that we couldn't get for Ben if we decided to trade papa NOW?
Early 20s to late 1st whereas Ben would probably be a mid 2nd.

K

KingsFan80

Early 20s to late 1st whereas Ben would probably be a mid 2nd.
If we went to the Magic right now and said we are going to give you a player for FREE, do you want Ben or Papa, you honestly think they would say Papa?

Again, I am not attacking Papa's play right now, I just don't believe he has much value as an asset. I asked this earlier, what exactly do you think we could get for him that we couldn't get for Ben if we decided to trade papa NOW?
I wouldn't take anything less than a mid 1st rounder or another promising youngster back for Pappa because we need that for down the road and we could probably get that done, but let me ask you what could we get for Ben besides our number blocked.

K

KingsFan80

I wouldn't take anything less than a mid 1st rounder or another promising youngster back for Pappa because we need that for down the road and we could probably get that done, but let me ask you what could we get for Ben besides our number blocked.
A late first rounder/early second, like we did for Marco. Rudy has the most value, followed by Collison, then Kosta, WCS and Richardson. I cannot see anyone giving anything for papa. Stauskas was a top ten pick who actually played in games and look what we got for him. You honestly think papa would get more? I agree to disagree

So they would rather have a player that might never walk onto an NBA court over someone who could get 20 minutes a game?
No. They would rather have a player who has a better shot at becoming a good player in this league. McLemore has been one of the worst SGs this season. His RPM is 93rd out of 97 SGs. 93rd! That's straight garbage.

Who the f*** cares if he plays 20 minutes per game? The guy hurts the team and aids in the team losing year after year but yet you would rather value him more than someone who "could" help a team one day? That's foolish. That's out right foolish.

Papagiannis may never amount to anything, but you take the chance 10 out of 10 times when compared to a player who has been bad for 3.5 years.

K

KingsFan80

No. They would rather have a player who has a better shot at becoming a good player in this league. McLemore has been one of the worst SGs this season. His RPM is 93rd out of 97 SGs. 93rd! That's straight garbage.

Who the f*** cares if he plays 20 minutes per game? The guy hurts the team and aids in the team losing year after year but yet you would rather value him more than someone who "could" help a team one day? That's foolish. That's out right foolish.

Papagiannis may never amount to anything, but you take the chance 10 out of 10 times when compared to a player who has been bad for 3.5 years.
I agree to disagree...next topic

Nope, that's not what I said. I said McLemore's potential was a 3&D player. We're talking about what his potential was coming into the season. Why the hell does it matter what he was projected to be 3.5 years ago? Why are we ignoring 3.5 years worth of tape against NBA talent to help us reassess what his potential is? Come on now. You know better.

I thought you were arguing about their status after college. If you weren't, my mistake.

Nope, I'm not talking about who McLemore was projected to be 3.5 years ago. I'm talking about what he was projected to be this year because this year is what matters most. That's like saying Kwame Brown has all star potential 3.5 years after he's been in this league. It's not a wise stance to take. You watch him, reasses, and establish what you think his ceiling would be the more and more you learn about him.

It's obvious you have no idea what I was trying to say as you continue to think that I give a rats a** about the player McLemore was projected to be 3.5 years ago.

You really convinced me with your overwhelming evidence to back up this claim.

I've provided evidence throughout the entire thread why I think it's closer than you think.
I made arguments why the 3 rookies don't have as much value as you think they do. I'm not posting that in every single post in this thread as it's redundant.

You can "think" all you want, but you're wrong. If they had similar contract situations and McLemore has only displayed 1.5 years of no growth rather than 3.5 years of no growth, than I would agree. I don't care that he's 23. He's off the rookie scale next year and us regressed since his rookie/sophomore year. I find it odd that you're so willing diminish a sophomores value so rapidly yet hold on to so much hope for a guy who hasn't done anything for 3.5 years.

This is where you're wrong. Age is pretty important when evaluating a person's growth. Ben came into the NBA after a redshirt freshman year at Kansas so very young. You were the one saying WCS has a better outlook than Ben which I asked why. I've said it multiple times both are likely busts and find it funny that people are high on WCS but think Ben's done already.

Just go on any NBA message board and gauge their value from other NBA fans. You're going to find that you're in a teeny tiny minority if not by yourself.

I've actually been on a couple teams message boards (Magic, Blazers) to see them talk trades. You'd be pretty surprised at how much value the rookies have to them. Not nearly as much as you think.

My love for the Kings blinds me? I don't think you understand me at all so please don't pretend.

When did I ever said McLemore is done? Please point that out to me. I never rule anyone out. That would be dealing in absolutes which I try to avoid as much as possible. Especially when you see Whiteside's journey. Nobody is ever done.

Having said that, you have to play the odds. What % of players who are one of the worst at their position for their first 3.5 years actually end up becoming a solid starter in this league? What % of players who struggle their first 1.5 years in the league actually end up becoming a solid starter in this league? What % of players who play little to no minutes their rookie season actually end up becoming a solid starter in this league?

With every passing year that a player is horrible, the odds that said player pans out goes down and down and down. That's where McLemore is at right. There's still hope for the other guys because they are more unknowns at this point. Would you rather have an unknown or some has been proven they are bad time and time again? The answer is pretty clear to me.

Ah the ole "there's a reason..." argument. The funny thing about this argument is you can't come up with any reason for yourself so you put blind faith in something you can't explain.

I would hardly use Joerger's rotation decisions as a "reason" McLemore is "good" or has "value." He continues to play double C lineups, he continues to play Barnes ample minutes, he freezes out Casspi, and he doesn't start Temple. There's a lot of exceptions I take with his rotations so trying to use that as evidence is weak at best.

This is a good argument actually. So I should believe your rotations over Joerger, a guy that's spent lots of years in the coaching business? That's funny. Joerger has proved at other stops (D-League, Memphis) that he knows how to coach. I guess Vlade should make you or any of us on KingsFans coach then. Joerger's job is to evaluate players and put the organization in the best position possible. If you're right about Joerger, he'll be fired in a couple years. The Kings are projected to have a higher winning percentage than any of the previous 5 seasons, I'd say besides Cousins growing, he's doing something right. I'm going to take his word on it if he doesn't believe any of the 3 rookies are ready to contribute yet. He's proven at other coaching stops he knows what he's doing. As a fan, I'll let him make the rotations as he knows more basketball than you and me combined and if they fail, he'll be fired in short time.

While I don't like some of the rotations, as a fan, I have to trust Joerger's abilities to evaluate the roster. In his eyes, he's doing something for a reason and as a fan, I'll leave it up to him to decide rotations.

Also note with the higher winning percentage, arguably without our 2nd best player (Rudy, not a fan of his but there's a lack of talent without him on the team although I think it's a positive when Rudy doesn't play), starting PG was out 8 games (Collison), the Kings have a lot of new faces on the team trying to mesh (Afflalo, Tolliver, Temple, Lawson). It's even more impressive when you think about it really. In a sense, he's still deciding which players play well with others.

Last edited:
K

KingsFan80

Not at all...I think papa will go down as one of the many draft mistakes in the history of the Kings and I don't think ANY team would trade ANYTHING for him right now. I just don't want to go back and forth with you over and over about a guy that doesn't even play for the Kings because he is in the minor leagues blocking shots of crap players

Not at all...I think papa will go down as one of the many draft mistakes in the history of the Kings and I don't think ANY team would trade ANYTHING for him right now. I just don't want to go back and forth with you over and over about a guy that doesn't even play for the Kings because he is in the minor leagues blocking shots of crap players
AGAIN, based on what? He's looks good up in Reno so far. I could understand if he was stinking it up but he's not. And what does it even matter what other teams would offer for him he's not on the block unless some other GM insisted on him being included in a package that Vlade couldn't turn down and if that's the case that's his value right there. As for Ben I sure as heck hope your right because if I was in the GM seat and someone offered me a late 1st rounder like Cleveland for example then SOLD.

As for Vlade yea that Philly deal was crappy but the rest is still unwritten. It's still possible that deal only cost us a late 1st as well.

This is where you're wrong. Age is pretty important when evaluating a person's growth. Ben came into the NBA after a redshirt freshman year at Kansas so very young. You were the one saying WCS has a better outlook than Ben which I asked why. I've said it multiple times both are likely busts and find it funny that people are high on WCS but think Ben's done already.

No, it's not. You want to know what's more important when evaluating a person's growth?...Growth. McLemore has not been making strides in his game. If you're not getting better from ages 16 to 19, you don't look at the kid and say "well he's 19 so let's ride him out." No, what you do is you give up on that said player because if he can't even make marginal improvement over that large amount of time, he's more than likely be close to the player he is today.

Cauley-Stein had a promising rookie season, and has struggled this season. The potential factor is still there as all players who enter the league should be given ~3 years to adjust to the speed & strength of the NBA. McLemore had 3.5 years to catch on. Cauley-Stein has had 1.5 years. The fact that they are the same age is not a big deal to me. McLemore has had ample time to practice with the best, be coached by the best, and play against the best this world has to offer. The fact that bigs tend to take a little more time to catch their stride than wings is also a factor to consider. Lastly, there is the contract situation. A team can keep Cauley-Stein on their roster for dirt cheap giving them a low risk/high reward type player whereas someone like McLemore who will be off the rookie scale won't be as an attractive of risk.

I've actually been on a couple teams message boards (Magic, Blazers) to see them talk trades. You'd be pretty surprised at how much value the rookies have to them. Not nearly as much as you think.
No, no, no. Not "team" boards. "NBA" boards. Team boards can end up being a bunch of homers who value their players too much and don't get a good contrast to how other teams value players around the league and how they value certain types of players. I literally bang my head against a wall reading some of the trade proposals that are posted around here. So many are heavily in the Kings favor. I find myself & @CelticsFan being the ones who are trying to keep this place realistic ;)

This is a good argument actually. So I should believe your rotations over Joerger, a guy that's spent lots of years in the coaching business? That's funny. Joerger has proved at other stops (D-League, Memphis) that he knows how to coach. I guess Vlade should make you or any of us on KingsFans coach then. Joerger's job is to evaluate players and put the organization in the best position possible. If you're right about Joerger, he'll be fired in a couple years. The Kings are projected to have a higher winning percentage than any of the previous 5 seasons, I'd say besides Cousins growing, he's doing something right. I'm going to take his word on it if he doesn't believe any of the 3 rookies are ready to contribute yet. He's proven at other coaching stops he knows what he's doing. As a fan, I'll let him make the rotations as he knows more basketball than you and me combined and if they fail, he'll be fired in short time.
Thank you.

And yeah, I think my rotations would be better. Does that mean I could do all of the other things he does? Hell no, but I think he has made some obvious mistakes in the lineup. He is far from the first coach to make rotation mistakes, and he definitely won't be the last one. To think these coach's are immortals is unrealistic and silly. If you can't think for yourself and thus let a coach's decision be your "evidence" or "reasoning" you're being lazy in my book. If you have a good reason that goes along with one of the coach's decisions, VOICE IT! Unfortunately, you're either holding back or, more likely, you have no reasoning.

K

KingsFan80

AGAIN, based on what? He's looks good up in Reno so far. I could understand if he was stinking it up but he's not. And what does it even matter what other teams would offer for him he's not on the block unless some other GM insisted on him being included in a package that Vlade couldn't turn down and if that's the case that's his value right there. As for Ben I sure as heck hope your right because if I was in the GM seat and someone offered me a late 1st rounder like Cleveland for example then SOLD.
Well, moving past Papa, I think our biggest challenge is the only teams willing to trade now are contenders trying to get better. They will be looking for Rudy, Collison, Ben, Kosta etc. but without giving up too much trade value. Our best bet is to go after draft picks with those guys IMHO because we won't get much in players unless we can land like a Payne or Knight

Ibaka isn't as good of a player as he used to be. He's not as good of a rebounder than he used to be. The Magic got fleeced in that trade that sent Oladipo and Sabonis to OKC. I did mention that Gay and Collison were expirings in why Sacramento does it.

Orlando is in a win now mode, whether fair or not, they want to get to the playoffs this year instead of getting draft picks. I think Gay and Collison are upgrades at their respective positions while they would likely resign Collison in the offseason to start/6th man while they would not re-sign Ibaka since they are stacked up front and need a PG and SF/Wing (They are playing Gordon on the wings right now to accomodate Ibaka and Biyombo starting).

They have Green expiring and I think they'd rather re-sign Gay over Green if that's the route they go or draft a SF in the draft or FA.

The Magic are only 1.5 games out of the playoffs so not sure why you are saying they'd rather tank than lose. The Magic are adamant they want to win now.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3761042/or...a-and-elfrid-payton-as-they-look-for-scorers/
There's 0 way that Orlando trades Ibaka+Payton for Gay+Collison. Ibaka has been Orlando's 2nd best player this season. They traded a lot for him. They are not going to in turn, throw him away for 1/2 year rentals of Rudy Gay and Darren Collison.

They also traded away a player that was really similar to Rudy, but not as talented, much younger, and long-term guy in Tobias Harris. They basically gave him away for free, so I have trouble on seeing why they would trade for Gay who's an older version of him.

Well, moving past Papa, I think our biggest challenge is the only teams willing to trade now are contenders trying to get better. They will be looking for Rudy, Collison, Ben, Kosta etc. but without giving up too much trade value. Our best bet is to go after draft picks with those guys IMHO because we won't get much in players unless we can land like a Payne or Knight
I don't think contenders will be wanting one of the worst SGs in the league anywhere close to their roster.

K

KingsFan80

I don't think contenders will be wanting one of the worst SGs in the league anywhere close to their roster.
They would trade for Ben over Papa. Yeah, I could see the Cavs trading for Papa, talk about making an impact in the NBA finals. What would they need him to do? Fill up the Gatorade? Check the team into the hotel?

Because I could bash Ben all day and you would agree with me because PDA drafted him but PAPA nooooo
So juvenile... It's hard having a conversation with you when you generalize people and assume how people feel about certain players & GMs. How about you actually comment on what I have actually written rather than trying to put words in my mouth or try to label me with beliefs I don't have?

They would trade for Ben over Papa. Yeah, I could see the Cavs trading for Papa, talk about making an impact in the NBA finals. What would they need him to do? Fill up the Gatorade? Check the team into the hotel?
Again, the reading comprehension fails you. Where did I mention Papagiannis in that post? Seriously, where?

You said contenders would be looking for guys like McLemore to which I replied hell no! They don't want players who are going to make them worse. What the hell does this have to do with Papa? When you know your argument is beat, you try to make it seem like that poster has a belief they have not stated and you attack it. That's lunacy.

Yes your right about that. I could see teams like Atlanta & OKC trying to make a deal with us. we'll see where we are come closer to the deadline.

Thank you.

And yeah, I think my rotations would be better. Does that mean I could do all of the other things he does? Hell no, but I think he has made some obvious mistakes in the lineup. He is far from the first coach to make rotation mistakes, and he definitely won't be the last one. To think these coach's are immortals is unrealistic and silly. If you can't think for yourself and thus let a coach's decision be your "evidence" or "reasoning" you're being lazy in my book. If you have a good reason that goes along with one of the coach's decisions, VOICE IT! Unfortunately, you're either holding back or, more likely, you have no reasoning.
His rotations aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. I don't understand the obsession people (not just you) have with people starting over others? It's about 1) Who plays the most and 2) who plays in crunch time. I'm going off your complaints of Ben starting over Temple as why I'm making this argument.

The Kings have been very good in close games this year whereas in previous seasons I've watched if the game was close at the end, you knew the Kings would likely lose. The people who you want to start in the other thread are getting the most time late in the game. Temple plays way more than Ben does and takes basically all of his 4th quarter minutes. Tolliver plays more late in games. Lawson plays more later in games. A lot of the wins the Kings have is because of good rotations/combinations late in games. Have the Kings had as many late game comebacks as they have had this year? Last year it was a dream to comeback in games like Minnesota and Utah.

Ben and WCS, arguably 2 of the worst key members on the team, are not playing late or are getting minute reductions while players who are playing better (Tolliver was barely playing at the start of the year and Temple has received around 30 minutes compared 20 earlier in the season).

The "X starts over Y" complaints are annoying. That's lazy arguing instead of looking at the whole picture.

Last edited:
ya because the players drafted behind him are just tearing it up.

His rotations aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. I don't understand the obsession people (not just you) have with people starting over others? It's about 1) Who plays the most and 2) who plays in crunch time. I'm going off your complaints of Ben starting over Temple as why I'm making this argument.

The Kings have been very good in close games this year whereas in previous seasons I've watched if the game was close at the end, you knew the Kings would likely lose. The people who you want to start in the other thread are getting the most time late in the game. Temple plays way more than Ben does and takes basically all of his 4th quarter minutes. Tolliver plays more late in games. Lawson plays more later in games. A lot of the wins the Kings have is because of good rotations/combinations late in games. Have the Kings had as many late game comebacks as they have had this year? Last year it was a dream to comeback in games like Minnesota and Utah.

Ben and WCS, arguably 2 of the worst key members on the team, are not playing late or are getting minute reductions while players who are playing better (Tolliver was barely playing at the start of the year and Temple has received around 30 minutes compared 20 earlier in the season).

The "X starts over Y" complaints are annoying. That's lazy arguing instead of looking at the whole picture.
No, not really. For the most part, I don't have a problem with how he ends games, but that doesn't mean he can't make the rotations better. That's like preventing one caterpillar from becoming a butterfly because the other caterpillar already turned into a butterfly. You can maximize the rotations the entire game not just at the end. I've already given my thoughts on what adjustments I would make and why I would make them in the "What's Your Preferred Starting Lineup?" thread, but I quoted myself below:

I'd really like to see this starting lineup going forward:

Collison
Temple
Gay
Tolliver
Cousins

Why Collison over Lawson?
I'd rather utilize Lawson's superior playmaking in the 2nd unit when Cousins is off the floor. His playmaking is not as much of a necessity when playing through Cousins at the high post. Also, with guys like Collison, Temple, & Gay who are at least adequate at making plays, it makes that skill less valuable in that unit.

From a scoring standpoint, Temple & Tolliver aren't going to provide much, so Collison's ability to be that 3rd scorer would be useful whereas Lawson is more of a distributor.

Lastly, with guys like Cousins and Gay in your lineup, you're going to need spacing. Collison is considerably better at spacing the floor which should allow both of those guys more room to operate. In the 2nd unit, Lawson should have the ball in his hands more which should negate his lack of shooting more than when he'd be playing off the ball more frequently in the starting lineup.

Why Temple over Afflalo & McLemore?
He's easily the best defender of the bunch and can switch on to PGs, SFs, & some stretch PFs. But not only is he our best defender at SG but he's just our best perimeter defender in general. We should absolutely be utilizing that defense against the opposing team's best offensive wings. Using him against 2nd units is sort of "wasting" that skill.

His 3pt shooting has also been better than Afflalo and McLemore which makes him a very easy 3&D choice for us.

His ballhandling, playmaking, and work ethic are also better than Afflalo and McLemore which puts the nail in the coffin.

Afflalo does have some useful skills. He's historically been a good 3pt shooter and he has some ability to score out of the post. With Cousins & Gay liking to get there's in the paint/midrange, it doesn't make a lot of sense to add another player who likes to do the same thing. Bringing Afflalo off the bench allows us to utilize his scoring skill set more so than if he was having to share the ball with Cousins, Gay, and Collison in the starting lineup. Afflalo could potentially be a guy who could average 10-14 off the bench for us each night which would be very helpful.

Why Tolliver over Barnes, Casspi, Koufos, & Cauley-Stein?
Barnes has horrible length (8'0" standing reach) for a PG let alone a starting PF. His shooting is also dreadful so you're not getting any advantage in spacing, rebounding, scoring, or defending with Barnes as a starting PF.

Cauley-Stein has been a mess this year who has looked lost on he court. He can't space the floor, he can't rebound, he can't pass, and he can't score. His defense has been suspect this year as well. Does he do anything positive on the court right now?

Koufos is great in his role (low level starting C/backup C), but our best player is best at C. Although rebounding is best when he is starting next to Cousins, it decreases our spacing for Cousins & Gay. It also makes it more difficult to rotate out on the perimeter when helping on defense. If Koufos could at least take advantage of smaller players in the post, this wouldn't be much of an issue but he's just adequate in that area.

Casspi would probably be my 2nd choice to start at PF due to his ability to spread the floor, defend the perimeter, and rebound, but his size & strength are concerning to me against opposing team's starting PFs. Also, with Cousins, Gay, & Collison already in the starting lineup, I'd rather have his scoring punch off the bench when we can utilize it more. Lawson, Afflalo, & Casspi as our primary bench could give us 30-36 points a game.

Tolliver, although a subpar rebounder for a PF, clears the defensive glass better than Cauley-Stein.

He's an average to above average defender who can match up better against bigger PFs but he's also athletic enough to guard out on the perimeter.

He provides better spacing than Barnes, Koufos, & Cauley-Stein at a position that brings the 2nd biggest player away from the hoop when Cousins & Gay are making their move.

Lastly, he's a low usage, unselfish player who makes the smart play which is a nice complement with guys like Cousins and Gay.

Minute Rotation
PG - Collison (26 min) / Lawson (22 min)
SG - Temple (30 min) / Afflalo (10 min) / Collison (8 min)
SF - Gay (34 min) / Afflalo (14 min)
PF - Tolliver (22 min) / Casspi (26 min)
C - Cousins (36 min) / Koufos (12 min)

Cousins - 36 min
Gay - 34 min
Collison - 32 min
Temple - 30 min
Casspi - 26 min
Afflalo - 24 min
Lawson - 22 min
Tolliver - 22 min
Koufos - 12 min