2014 FIFA World Cup (contains spoilers)

dang... Shouldn't have come into the thread.. Didn't know there would be results! I have mine on the DVR when I get home.

I'm going to diverge here, I think it's a good call. The defender had his left hand on Fred's shoulder and tried to pull him... just a bit. I think that should be a foul even though it is not called 99.9999% of the time. Did I see worse fouls than this that weren't called? All the time. Was Fred too willing to go down? Sure. But he was pulled and even a little hit like that can throw you off. I am sick and tired of defenders consistently getting away with mugging. And I am sick and tired of these ESPN British announcers thinking their thuggish league is the norm and a karake chop to the face is nothing. Bravo. Bravo.

I'm going to diverge here, I think it's a good call. The defender had his left hand on Fred's shoulder and tried to pull him... just a bit. I think that should be a foul even though it is not called 99.9999% of the time. Did I see worse fouls than this that weren't called? All the time. Was Fred too willing to go down? Sure. But he was pulled and even a little hit like that can throw you off. I am sick and tired of defenders consistently getting away with mugging. And I am sick and tired of these ESPN British announcers thinking their thuggish league is the norm and a karake chop to the face is nothing. Bravo. Bravo.
I have no idea what you're talking about. "Soccer" is a contact sport. He basically put his arm on his shoulder momentarily, that is never a penalty. Not in a million years. As for your comment about Britain's "thuggish league", that's a pretty dumb comment and I'm not even going to bother debunking it. If you don't like any contact in a sport, go play golf or something.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
British announcers? When I watch La Liga, Serie A and the Bund, their announcers go ape s*** over PK's awarded for diving in that manner too.

BTW, the most "thuggish" league? Your very own MLS. EPL is physical but highly talented, especially at the top. MLS is thuggish as it doesn't have the quality of a top 10 league. Guys are forced to just hack down any creative player they come across as they can't deal with creativity. Also has terrible refs.

MLS is calling a lot of bad fouls like that this year, it is a freakin joke.

Also, fine, give Brazil the penalty. But why did Croatia get their goal taken back? a soft foul on the keeper?

Brazil was protected this match. And it's BS. It screws over everyone else in the group.

I have no idea what you're talking about. "Soccer" is a contact sport. He basically put his arm on his shoulder momentarily, that is never a penalty. Not in a million years. As for your comment about Britain's "thuggish league", that's a pretty dumb comment and I'm not even going to bother debunking it. If you don't like any contact in a sport, go play golf or something.
LOL. I say this as a defender. One of the oldest trick in the book, he did not "put his arm on his shoulder momentarily", that wouldn't have been a foul would it? It's not arm, it's his hand, the defender grabbed the attacker's shoulder, pull back slightly, and let go; to the untrained eye, it looks harmless; but it's not - it throws off the attacker's balance. Look closely, at the same time he grabbed the shoulder with his left hand, he also tried to grab the attacker's side with his right hand (and missed). You can also see that his left didn't just touch, he hand clenched - he was applying force. It's a classic "grab and release", I do it all the time and it's rarely called even though it IS a foul. You are not allowed to grab another player, if you don't believe me you can consult the rule book.

It's funny you said "if I don't like any contact in a sport". LOL, I've broken someone's rib and another person's nose. I have suffered three knee injuries. So yes, I know all about contact in soccer. I'm tired of all the leeway that's given to the defense - pull someone's jersey, smack someone's chest, kick someone's shin, elbow someone's rib, push off, arm grab, hand smack, none of them are fouls apparently. I applaude the ref's gutsy call. Finally someone with the guts to call a foul a foul, even if it is a soft one.

Last edited:
You can micro-analyse it all you want, it's not a foul. You can apply the rule book back down to a T, it still doesn't matter. Referees have the power of discretion, context is everything in football, it's a completely different sport to American football or basketball in how the rules are applied. This is a fact, it's been this way forever. That was not enough to give a penalty, the tug was minimal. Contact like that happens ALL the time, you can't give frees for it or it would destroy the game. Especially not penalties which are traditionally harder to win (that's a debate for another time).

Incidental contact is usually not a foul and shouldn't be. Clashing of heads, arms across the face, even elbows, hard tackles. They all depend on context. Again, it's a contact sport. That means [some] contact is allowed depending on how it happens. I have no desire to see football turn into a sport where simply touching someone is a foul. It's heading that way unfortunately. I agree that defenders do get the benefit of the doubt btw, and keepers especially (as seen by Ceaser getting a free kick undeservedly after Olic headed it and Croatia scored - another injustice). But that doesn't mean overcompensating is right. It was never a penalty. Refs need to be consistent and that just wasn't close enough to be a penalty.

Last edited:
Never a pen in a million years but for me the ref was well within his rights to call the foul on Ollic, the keepers are untouchable in the modern game that would have been given in the premier league as well, It's a joke but those are the rules.

the refs are just not savvy enough to diving and embellishment It's a hard job to recognize but after you've reffed hundreds of games you should have the nouse to spot when you're being conned.

The premier league isn't thuggish in any way, but it's got it's "ard men" who are, you guessed it, all English, it's also got it's divers, who are... mostly English, but "England don't play that way!" <<< B.S. Gerrard, Sterling, Rooney and Sturridge are some of the biggest cheats in the league.

I disagree on the Olic foul, he has just as much right to go for the ball as Ceasar and didn't push him. He actually just beat him to the ball in the air. You're right that they're almost always given as frees, but it drives me mad. Keepers are given too much protection. They should be protected, but not to the point where you're even going for the ball is a foul.

The rest of your post is spot on, though.

I think if you prefer Serie A and La Liga you can call EPL a thuggish league and EPL can call those diver's leagues. I prefer Bundesliga so whatever. We should move this discussion to the other footballing thread.

My son had his preschool graduation today so I'm behind on the games other than I know the current scores and finals. Hopefully I can catch up and watch most of the last game live.

I think if you prefer Serie A and La Liga you can call EPL a thuggish league and EPL can call those diver's leagues. I prefer Bundesliga so whatever. We should move this discussion to the other footballing thread.
Wait, are you telling me there's actual human beings out there who prefer Serie A to the EPL? :p

Anyway, I'd say the EPL is more physical, not thuggish, while La Liga and the Bundesliga are more technical. All great to watch, though I do think the PL are way behind in terms of technical ability. Actually I should say English players, who are way behind the likes of Spain and Germany, as there's plenty of technical players in the PL. Anyway, I think we're all in agreement.

Van Persie just scored a lovely goal, great ball to set him up too.

Too early to write off Spain, I wasn't that impressed by Chile I thought the ausies bossed that game for long periods, no quality but a very committed group.

Spain should have been 2-0 up against Holland but were exposed by Hollands pace time and again.

It's time for them to move Xavi to the bench he looked well off the pace.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Spain is too old. Don't have much youth/pace. As much as experience matters at this level, the WC to an extent is also a young man's tournament. You need some injection of youth. Spain I think has ridden this generation one cycle too long.