2013 NBA Draft thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious at to why MLM was their clear #1 target no matter what, the top player in the draft for us, when we need defense and there's a guy like Noel out there. Got the impression we would have chosen MLM even if Noel was still there. Actually, I got the impression if we had the 1st pick overall we would have taken MLM.
Only reason I can think of is that they figured Cousins was our big and they wanted another potential star small rather than a star big defender. Many people see McLemore as having the greatest potential to be a star with slightly higher risk of being a dud. The other guys were viewed as more of a sure think but lower ceiling in comparison. As I've said before I was screaming for Noel because I want to see an elite shot locker besides Cousins.

That is the crazy thing here. We know that Petrie wanted Noah instead of Hawes...and because we lost that stupid 3-way tie-breaker we lost out on Noah. (But we probably wouldn't have been in a position to get Tyreke/Cousins...but still...)

But I really was hoping that Noel would fall to us. If both Noel and McLemore had been on the board at 7...and if the FO had actually taken McLemore....

This board would have just self-destructed and we'd probably be talking about that pick for the next 10 years. It might be just as well that the scenario didn't come up. If we pair Tyreke and McLemore together...then you just need to find that blue collar hard worker (role player) next to Cousins...so it can still turn out OK.
Just curious as to the philosophy if they would have taken MLM over Noel, Porter and Oladipo, because that's the clear impression they gave.

Just curious as to the philosophy if they would have taken MLM over Noel, Porter and Oladipo, because that's the clear impression they gave.
For Noel the injury could have also played a part in addition to what I said. For Porter and Oladipo it had to have been they felt McLemore has more potential to be a star. Have read and heard that from many places, i don't have an opinion one way or the other on the star potential.

Yeah I know what you mean...if they wanted a wing you would think they would prefer both Oladipo or Porter over McLemore...if the idea was about team needs or defense.

But here is a crazy thought. What if they see Tyreke as a potential super star. And they know that in order to max out Tyreke's potential you need to have an elite shooter next to him. And not only is McLemore an elite shooter...but he's also an elite athlete who can perform on the defensive end.

I know it gets wearisome having to constantly defend Tyreke around here...but one of the only reasons I can think of that would make me consider taking McLemore over Olidipo and Porter is the fact that McLemore's game actually helps Tyreke's game more than the other two.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
But here is a crazy thought. What if they see Tyreke as a potential super star. And they know that in order to max out Tyreke's potential you need to have an elite shooter next to him. And not only is McLemore an elite shooter...but he's also an elite athlete who can perform on the defensive end.
I'm more worried that they're thinking, "Well, now that we have McLemore, we don't really need Evans."

Yeah I know what you mean...if they wanted a wing you would think they would prefer both Oladipo or Porter over McLemore...if the idea was about team needs or defense.

I know it gets wearisome having to constantly defend Tyreke around here...but one of the only reasons I can think of that would make me consider taking McLemore over Olidipo and Porter is the fact that McLemore's game actually helps Tyreke's game more than the other two.
Have you not heard the chatter from some people that they think McLemore has the highest ceiling in this draft?

I'm more worried that they're thinking, "Well, now that we have McLemore, we don't really need Evans."
Yeah...that's the big scary thought. I just can't imagine that though. They keep on saying they are a 28 win team...you don't get better by letting a guy like Evans walk. And the fact that Evans has been working out in Sacramento...I think they feel comfortable with Tyreke going forward. I'll be greatly relieved when we (hopefully) re-sign him quickly.

K

KingMilz

If the Kings choose not to resign Tyreke imo they should offer Thomas/Thornton or whatever works to the Pelicans for Vasquez who falls out of the rotation with Holiday there.

Yeah...that's the big scary thought. I just can't imagine that though. They keep on saying they are a 28 win team...you don't get better by letting a guy like Evans walk. And the fact that Evans has been working out in Sacramento...I think they feel comfortable with Tyreke going forward. I'll be greatly relieved when we (hopefully) re-sign him quickly.
Pretty sure he went down to LA the past couple summers to work out so it should be a good sign he was in Sac this year.

That's possible, and it makes sense, but goes directly against CD's tweet. If that were the case Reke is obviously a priority this off season which means they're just playing everything down right now, as I get no sense they feel that way. Could be a great smokescreen, or not. Too early to tell.

Occurred to me they might think of MLM as filling a Klay Thompson type role, next to the ball dominant PG. Would make sense if they think Reke can explode similar to Steph did after he was un-handcuffed when Smart was canned.

Have you not heard the chatter from some people that they think McLemore has the highest ceiling in this draft?
Yeah I know a lot of people think that.
But I do think people are correct in focusing on his 'alpha-dog' mentality. I don't think he has that (which is actually a great thing for the Kings) and I would have taken Olidipo over him if I had the pick and had to go with someone I knew would reach whatever ceiling was out there.

Again, I love the McLemore pick. But I don't know if 'having the highest ceiling' is really a good reason to have him as the #1 player for the King's board.

That's possible, and it makes sense, but goes directly against CD's tweet. If that were the case Reke is obviously a priority this off season which means they're just playing everything down right now, as I get no sense they feel that way. Could be a great smokescreen, or not. Too early to tell.

Occurred to me they might think of MLM as filling a Klay Thompson type role, next to the ball dominant PG. Would make sense if they think Reke can explode similar to Steph did after he was un-handcuffed when Smart was canned.
That's my exact thought as well. So I'm going to believe it is a giant smoke-screen to help with negotiations until I see something concrete to feel otherwise....because a Tyreke/McLemore pairing is just really good...and McLemore really is a player who can help Tyreke's game tremendously.

If the Kings choose not to resign Tyreke imo they should offer Thomas/Thornton or whatever works to the Pelicans for Vasquez who falls out of the rotation with Holiday there.
Yes, let's replace Reke with the guy who's FO was so confident in, they traded Noel and next year's pick in a stacked draft for Holiday(that speaks of borderline desperation to get another PG), who while he's an All Star in the East(due to injuries) won't be in the West.

Yeah I know a lot of people think that.
But I do think people are correct in focusing on his 'alpha-dog' mentality. I don't think he has that (which is actually a great thing for the Kings) and I would have taken Olidipo over him if I had the pick and had to go with someone I knew would reach whatever ceiling was out there.

Again, I love the McLemore pick. But I don't know if 'having the highest ceiling' is really a good reason to have him as the #1 player for the King's board.
I'm not convinced either but it's the only reasonable reason I can think of. The other reason is they think they need to find another star because they are going to get rid of Tyreke. But that is just stupid to me so I don't think it's one of the choices. I hope.

K

KingMilz

I could live with that. Just about barely. But, then, who's our backup SG at that point?
Umm good question, I guess Toney D(resign), Vas (is big enough to guard SG's) and Mac would be our 3 man Guard rotation, yeah that does leave us in a tough spot but still if we do loss Reke I think Vasquez will still be a good fit no team will be perfect.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Umm good question, I guess Toney D(resign), Vas (is big enough to guard SG's) and Mac would be our 3 man Guard rotation, yeah that does leave us in a tough spot but still if we do loss Reke I think Vasquez will still be a good fit no team will be perfect.
That rotation hardly fills me with a warm, fuzzy feeling. I mean, it's not like I'm going to stop being a Kings Fan if they let Evans leave, but I hope they re-sign him. And, if they don't, I sure as hell hope they can do better than that.

K

KingMilz

That rotation hardly fills me with a warm, fuzzy feeling. I mean, it's not like I'm going to stop being a Kings Fan if they let Evans leave, but I hope they re-sign him. And, if they don't, I sure as hell hope they can do better than that.
Ideally we resign Evans lets him play SF with the ball in his hands (as a PG kinda like Lebron), resign Douglas to play the Mario Chalmers role and let Ben Mac drill 3's and drive into wide open lanes for some posters.

Ideally we resign Evans lets him play SF with the ball in his hands (as a PG kinda like Lebron), resign Douglas to play the Mario Chalmers role and let Ben Mac drill 3's and drive into wide open lanes for some posters.
The issue is that LBJ has the size to play the SF position and dominate at it. Tyreke doesn't have the size to dominate or defend(in a dominating fashion) that position.

It would be far better to go into every game creating a mis-match with a back-court of Tyreke/McLemore by running out a SF with size who the other team can't switch their PG onto.

The issue is that LBJ has the size to play the SF position and dominate at it. Tyreke doesn't have the size to dominate or defend(in a dominating fashion) that position.

It would be far better to go into every game creating a mis-match with a back-court of Tyreke/McLemore by running out a SF with size who the other team can't switch their PG onto.
This is why I'm so hungry for an Iggy move, as far fetched as it might be. A Reke/Mac/Iggy trio would be a matchup nightmare especially with a stretch 4 like Patterson. Get some 3 and D shooters off the bench and one shotblocker in the rotation and I think we'd have a nice start.

Interestingly they didn't make a play for whatever SFs were there in second round. Theoretically Southerland is available as FA, but expecting him to pick meaningful minutes is naive. I guess they are going to patch SF spot in FA. Aminu? Dorrell Wright? Don't see a play for Iguodala to be successful - Denver will have to facilitate. Though Nuggets might be interested in Thornton, which can make it work.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I've just tried to catch up on all the notes. It was a good pick and I can understand why he was the #1 guy on our list. Noel is underweight and I doubt if he could ever be more then 230 as he has a slight frame. Guys like Cuz would eat him alive. There is also the knee surgery which I suspect will heal fine but there are no guarantees. Bennett is a great athlete but probably too short and a bad fit on our team. Len has a stress fracture which can recur. It's a bad sign. He isn't an overwhelming talent like Cuz anyway. Oladipo would have been fine but perhaps Ben is better on defense. Porter is a well rounded player but not a world class athlete. Zeller just isn't right. He'd get pushed around and unless he could be a SF, I wonder what his value would be.

Ben isn't perfect but he sure ain't bad. His skills have been mentioned. I have no doubt that he was the FO's #1 choice and we got him. His personality is a plus for OUR TEAM. He can jump out of the gym and shoots better than Jimmer. Unlike Jimmer, I suspect he'll shoot that well in the NBA also but who knows. He isn't being asked to be a PG like Jimmer has been asked and that is his advantage over Jimmer. Just making a comparison. I think he could make our team a three star team.

The FO was giddy. I trust those guys despite their inexperience and I love Vivek's involvement as, although I am sure he has a lot to say, he definitely knows who is smarter at basketball. It sounds like he would back up anything his guys want. The thing about Shaq mentoring Cuz is just an example that his purse strings are open.

I think McCallum spells the end of IT or what other reason would he have been picked? My first reaction was confusion but what else can be on the FO's mind? IT is all about IT and will find a job elsewhere. I never liked his style and the fact he could score isn't exactly a plus and now that we have Ben, I'm not sure how important he would be. McCallum is bigger. That's his main advantage over IT and, although I really don't know anything about him, the FO does and I trust them.

In the interview PDA stressed that we had a versatile group of guards and he liked that. Well, that's BS isn't it? We have one versatile guard and if PDA is excited, it's about Tyreke. He couldn't say more about Tyreke because they are negotiating. I certainly got the impression that they wanted to resign him but as Arn Tellum is no rookie at negotiating and appears to be playing a little hard ball by telling Tyreke not to go to the fan gathering, they didn't tip their hand as to how important they thought Tyreke would be. Certainly it would serve no purpose to share how much they are willing to pay. So the negotiation games begin.

I'm happy. This is the 2nd time in 4 years that we got our #1 guy without an obvious attempt at tanking. We didn't get the top pick yet got our best guy at #5 and #7. Who can complain? I shouldn't have asked that question.

Now the rest of the cluster frack of a team needs tweaking and the fun continues.

I've wanted Iggy for years and years.
With McLemore's ability to shoot...having your SF being a light's out shooter isn't as important...and Iggy's ability to pass the ball would definitely make up for anything that McLemore lacks.

The problem I end up having is then with the PF spot. I really think you need a rebounder/solid defender next to Cousins rather than a floor spacer...so if you end up getting that defender at the PF spot...things get a bit dicey if your shooters are Tyreke/McLemore/Iggy.

I'd be all on board with bring Iggy...but the floor spacing component would have to be weighed against the rebounding/defense component and finding the right mix for the PF spot could prove difficult.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Do people realize how close we are to being a decent club? It depends on the good wishes of Iggy and a trade using multiple assets to get a defensive big man but we are close. I hope Iggy likes the idea of coming here and has earned enough money not to think that his present salary is reasonable. A SF that can facilitate seems necessary if we end up with a back court of Tyreke and McLemore and we might end up not thinking Salmons is so bad as a short term patch job. PPat isn't the worst guy as a fill in for the REAL defensive player at PF. Please, Iggy, listen to PDA and Vivek and be charmed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.