2013 Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what prospects are you most intrigued with that might come out next year? I was very impressed with Dario Saric at the NHS. If he can polish up his perimeter shot, I think he can be an all-star, he's got that Larry Bird feel to him. Not that I'm suggesting he will ever be that good, but just saying he's got a similar style of big forward with crafty playmaking ability.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
So what prospects are you most intrigued with that might come out next year? I was very impressed with Dario Saric at the NHS. If he can polish up his perimeter shot, I think he can be an all-star, he's got that Larry Bird feel to him. Not that I'm suggesting he will ever be that good, but just saying he's got a similar style of big forward with crafty playmaking ability.
Well, as you probably know, my deal is mostly college players. Although I'm trying to watch more international games when they're on. So I don't know anymore about Saric than you do, and probably not as much. I've read articles on him and looked him up on google, but thats about it.

As or who to watch in the next draft? Well I have a short list of players that I've seen play already, either in college, or in highschool. So in no particular order, here's who I would keep an eye on. At least for now. There's always going to be a few surprises.

Cody Zeller: 6'11", sophmore center from Indiana. Probably the best of the Zeller brothers. He really played well last season, and Indiana is the only school to beat Kentucky last season, and Zeller was a big reason why.

Nerlens Noel: 6'10", freshman PF/C from Kentucky.Suppossedly the second coming of Anthony Davis. He's really thin, but he's a terrific athlete, and shotblocker.

Shabazz Muhammad: 6'6", freshman SG from UCLA. Considered the best highschool player in the country. Very good athlete, who has few holes in his game. Appears to have a great feel for the game.

Steven Adams: 6'11", freshman center from Pittsburg. I saw him play in one of the highschool all star games, and he out played just about every other center they put out there. He's an Aussie, he's raw, but looks to have tremendous potential.

Isaiah Austin: 6'11", freshman center from Baylor. He's rail thin, and seems to live a little too much on the perimeter to suit me. He seems to have good shotblocking instincts, and has a nice outside shot. Definitely needs to add some muscle to his frame.

Alex Poythress: 6'8" freshman SF from Kentucky. I saw him play in highschool and in two highschool all star games. He was very impressive. Very good athlete who can stroke it or attack the basket. Runs the floor very well and is a good finisher.

Archie Goodwin: 6'5" freshman SG from Kentucky. Very talented player who attacks the basket. has good handles and a nice pullup midrange shot.

Kyle Anderson: 6'7" freshman PG/SG from UCLA. His nick name is slomo Anderson. He moves so smoothly that he appears to be moving in slow motion at times. He always gets to where he wants, so it must be a mirage. Great court vision and excellent passer. He could be the next great PG to come out.

Kaleb Tarczewski: 7 foot freshman center from Arizona. Good all around player thats a decent athlete. He got outplayed by Steven Adams in one of the all star games, but he'll probably be one of the best centers in college next season.

Brandon Ashley: 6'8" freshman PF from Arizona. I don't know a lot about Ashley. I only saw him play once, and while he didn't play badly, he didn't stand out either.

Grant Jerrett: 6'10" freshman PF from Arizona. Big kid with length. Once again, I only saw him play in one all star game. Nothing of note to remember.

Cameron Ridley: 6'10" freshman PF/C from Texas. Powerful PF with a big body that just overpowers the opposition. At least in highschool. Very effective post player.

James McAdoo: 6'8" sophmore PF from North Carolina. Very athletic PF that started to come into his own toward the end of last season. He's still a little raw, but has a good motor and always seems to make an impact on the game in some way. He reminds me a little of Derrick Favors.

Adonis Thomas: a 6'6" freshman SG/SF from Memphis. Very athletic player. Not sure of his position at the next level, but he's very talented.

These are guys that should be fall in the upper half of the draft somewhere. It should be a very good draft for centers and power forwards. I was particularly impressed with Steven Adams. So, I can't wait for the college season to start..

Well, as you probably know, my deal is mostly college players. Although I'm trying to watch more international games when they're on. So I don't know anymore about Saric than you do, and probably not as much. I've read articles on him and looked him up on google, but thats about it.

Steven Adams: 6'11", freshman center from Pittsburg. I saw him play in one of the highschool all star games, and he out played just about every other center they put out there. He's an Aussie, he's raw, but looks to have tremendous potential.

These are guys that should be fall in the upper half of the draft somewhere. It should be a very good draft for centers and power forwards. I was particularly impressed with Steven Adams. So, I can't wait for the college season to start..

Not impressed Baj.... He is from New Zealand like me :mad: and quite frankly thats an insult :(

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not impressed Baj.... He is from New Zealand like me :mad: and quite frankly thats an insult :(
Sorry, I knew that. However he did play on the Australian national team if Im not mistaken. The current Australian team has some pretty good players on it, especially Dante Exum. Very impressive player. By the way, I tried to move to New Zealand many many years ago. Turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be. I won't go into the details, but you have to migrate to Australia first, and then after a period of time, and with meeting all the standards, you can migrate to New Zealand.

I think New Zealand is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I'd like to visit it one more time before I pass on into basketball heaven.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Sorry, I knew that. However he did play on the Australian national team if Im not mistaken. The current Australian team has some pretty good players on it, especially Dante Exum. Very impressive player. By the way, I tried to move to New Zealand many many years ago. Turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be. I won't go into the details, but you have to migrate to Australia first, and then after a period of time, and with meeting all the standards, you can migrate to New Zealand.

I think New Zealand is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I'd like to visit it one more time before I pass on into basketball heaven.
If you can play rugby, you will find it not so difficult to move to New Zealand.

You are mistake never played for them (my cuz went to the same school as him ;) New Zealand captain in the next year i think....

I ment to respond to what you said in a jokey kind of way but it looks like i was actually hurt by you calling new zealands best basketball prospect ever as being from our heated rivals :mad: :D

I know you need a job already to get into NZ but didnt know you needed to try out in Oz first??? fair i supose ;)

I was thinking about what calling a new zealander an australian earlier (not in an angry way just thinking) all i could come up with was calling an amarican a canadian (but im not sure if you lot even have a rivalry?) or the outher one whould be telling someone your a kings fan and them saying congratulations on the stanley cup

as the old joke goes...

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God went missing for Six days. Eventually, Michael the Archangel found him, resting on the seventh day. He inquired of God, "Where have you been?"

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, "Look Michael, look what I've made." Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, "What is it?"

"It's a planet, replied God, "and I've put LIFE on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance".

"Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth.

"For example, Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth while Southern Europe is going to be poor; the Middle East over there will be a hot spot."

"Over there I've placed a continent of white people and over there is a continent of black people" God continued, pointing to different countries. "And over there, I call this place America.

North America will be rich and powerful and cold, while South America will be poor, and hot and friendly. And the little spot in the middle is Central America which is a Hot spot. Can you see the balance?"

"Yes" said the Archangel, impressed by Gods work, then he pointed to a smallish land mass and asked, "What's that one?"

"Ah" said God. "That's New Zealand, the most glorious place on Earth. There are beautiful mountains, rainforests, rivers, streams and an exquisite coast line. The people are good looking, intelligent and humorous and they're going to be found traveling the world. They'll be extremely sociable, hard-working and high-achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace. I'm also going to give them super- human, undefeatable, strong in character citizens who will be admired and feared by all who come across them".

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then exclaimed, "You said there will be BALANCE!"

God replied wisely. "Wait until you see the buggers I'm putting next to them"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice list by the way :)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You are mistake never played for them (my cuz went to the same school as him ;) New Zealand captain in the next year i think....

I ment to respond to what you said in a jokey kind of way but it looks like i was actually hurt by you calling new zealands best basketball prospect ever as being from our heated rivals :mad: :D

I know you need a job already to get into NZ but didnt know you needed to try out in Oz first??? fair i supose

I was thinking about what calling a new zealander an australian earlier (not in an angry way just thinking) all i could come up with was calling an amarican a canadian (but im not sure if you lot even have a rivalry?) or the outher one whould be telling someone your a kings fan and them saying congratulations on the stanley cup
Naw, you didn't hurt my feelings. It was my bad. I knew he was from New Zealand, but you know, you guys all look alike..:D Really doesn't matter to me where he's from, but I understand national pride. What matters is that he's a very good player, and just may end up being the best center to come out of the 2013 class.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Adams does, I like his upside quite a bit. I just hope he doesn't declare next year prematurely.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Adams does, I like his upside quite a bit. I just hope he doesn't declare next year prematurely.
Well for what its worth, Pitt players tend to stay more than one year. Probably because the don't get the playing time that they would at another school. Pitt is one of those schools that loves tenure, so it favors playing more senior players, sometimes at the expense of winning in my opinion.

Well for what its worth, Pitt players tend to stay more than one year. Probably because the don't get the playing time that they would at another school. Pitt is one of those schools that loves tenure, so it favors playing more senior players, sometimes at the expense of winning in my opinion.
That sucks. I hope he doesn't get the B.J. Mullens treatment there.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That sucks. I hope he doesn't get the B.J. Mullens treatment there.
One of the things you learn by watching a lot of college basketball, is how different coaches use their players. One of the reasons I haven't liked UCLA for the last few years. Pitt is one of those schools that starts just about every player at the bottom of the pecking order. There are exceptions of course when a player is just so good they can't ignore him. Duke is another school that leans in that direction, just not as hard. I would throw Kansas into that mix. Robinson didn't get his chance until he was a junior. And yes, I would also throw in Ohio St.. Really in the long run, there's nothing wrong with that approach. If a player comes out in his sophmore of junior year, your probably getting a better all around player, and a player you feel you have a better read on.

One of the things you learn by watching a lot of college basketball, is how different coaches use their players. One of the reasons I haven't liked UCLA for the last few years. Pitt is one of those schools that starts just about every player at the bottom of the pecking order. There are exceptions of course when a player is just so good they can't ignore him. Duke is another school that leans in that direction, just not as hard. I would throw Kansas into that mix. Robinson didn't get his chance until he was a junior. And yes, I would also throw in Ohio St.. Really in the long run, there's nothing wrong with that approach. If a player comes out in his sophmore of junior year, your probably getting a better all around player, and a player you feel you have a better read on.
Personally, I only really care about the NBA prospects and getting to see them play as much as possible.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Shabazz Muhammad is going to be an insane player. I'm already a fan and I believe the hype!
I hope your right. He's was the number one ranked highschool player in the nation until Noel bumped him to number 2. UCLA also has a very nice player in Kyle Anderson, a 6'7" player that can play PG if needed. Also the big PF, Tony Parker. Parker needs to shed a little weight, but he's very skilled. No excuses for UCLA this season. Arizona is going to be tough as well.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222714/Dario_Saric_Near_Four_Year_Deal_With_Bizkaia_Bilbao

Dario Saric Near Four-Year Deal With Bizkaia Bilbao
Jul 31, 2012 10:58 AM EDT

Dario Saric is close to finalizing a four-year deal with Bizkaia Bilbao.

Saric, a 6-foot-10 small forward out of Croatia, previously played for KK Zagreb.

Saric was projected by some as a mid-first round pick in the 2013 draft.
Via Eurobasket.com
Why do these Euro prospects always lock themselves up like this before they even get the chance to test their NBA market value? It's so stupid, and they always seem to end up regretting the difficulty in getting out of these contracts when they realize they want to come to the NBA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222714/Dario_Saric_Near_Four_Year_Deal_With_Bizkaia_Bilbao

Why do these Euro prospects always lock themselves up like this before they even get the chance to test their NBA market value? It's so stupid, and they always seem to end up regretting the difficulty in getting out of these contracts when they realize they want to come to the NBA.
Beats me. It is unusual when you think about it. Maybe some of it is just plain fear. I don't know how old he is, but when your 18/19 years old, and you consider going to a country that doesn't speak your language. The culture is different, and your a long way from home, it might make sense to the player at the time. After a few years of maturity, your whole mind set could change. Hey, your guess is as good as mine.

Really enjoyed watching Baylor vs Lehigh last night. A trio of exciting players in that game, Isiah Austin who could step and out and shoot a beautiful 3, but could also get up and finish lobs, was also excellent rolling to the basket.

Pierre Jackson, bit erratic but a terrific small point guard who was hitting all his open men, penetrated with ease too.

and CJ McCollom was just a monster for Lehigh basically on his own, good rebounder too.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Really enjoyed watching Baylor vs Lehigh last night. A trio of exciting players in that game, Isiah Austin who could step and out and shoot a beautiful 3, but could also get up and finish lobs, was also excellent rolling to the basket.

Pierre Jackson, bit erratic but a terrific small point guard who was hitting all his open men, penetrated with ease too.

and CJ McCollom was just a monster for Lehigh basically on his own, good rebounder too.
The problem with C.J. McCollum is his size, and the fact that he's basicly a SG. There's no doubt he can score the ball, and rebounds like crazy for a little guy. He'd be an effective player at the point if he had someone like Doug Christie next to him. Austin is an interesting player. Not sure exactly what to make of him just yet. I'll have a better idea in a couple of months. He played away from the basket too much for my taste in highschool. He definitely needs to put on some weight and muscle. Baylor has the makings of a good team. When you throw in Gathers and Bello, along with Jackson and Austin. they could go fairly far in the tournament. Well see.

I'm a little late with my team by team breakdown, but I should be posting it pretty soon, and I'll highlight those players that I think could be first round or second round picks.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
McAdoo

This is what Draft Express had to say about him. This is the type of high IQ player I'm looking for:

"we've marveled on more than one occasion at his extraordinary feel for the game, relaxed demeanor, and ability to make plays facing the basket."

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This is what Draft Express had to say about him. This is the type of high IQ player I'm looking for:

"we've marveled on more than one occasion at his extraordinary feel for the game, relaxed demeanor, and ability to make plays facing the basket."

I've been impressed with his play so far. Of course, he appears to be another of those slightly undersized PF's thats very athletic. I'm not ready to commit to him just yet, but he's on my list of top candidates. Others I'm interested in are Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammad, Alex Poythress, Archie Goodwin, who is playing extremely well. He's being asked to play PG for Kentucky, when he's a 6'5" SG. And he's doing a great job so far. I like Cody Zeller, Gorgui Dieng, Deshaun Thomas out of Ohio St., Amile Jefferson from Duke, Alex Len, the 7'1" center from Maryland has been a big surprise, and Otto Porter, the SF from Georgetown has really impressed me as well. Just to name a few. This should be a good draft. Maybe not as deep as the last one, and not quite as star heavy at the top, but still a lot of good talent.

There aren't any superstar PG's in this draft at the moment, with Phil Pressey from Missouri being the top choice right now. Of course, at this time last year, Lillard wasn't as high on the draft boards as he ended up. So someone may bloosom and start climbing the boards. Kyle Anderson from UCLA is a candidate for that, but he's being played out of position right now at SF. Although they're starting to use him as a point forward. He's an interesting player. He's a true PG at 6'7". The knock on him is his overall lack of athleticism. But he always seems to get where ever he wants to go on the court. He's excellent at getting into the key, drawing attention and then making a nice pass to an open man. He may be a tad slow, but he's very smooth.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I thought I'd touch on the play of some of the top center prospects so far.

Cody Zeller is having a pretty good year so far, and in my opinion, isn't even playing his best basketball. The sophmore 7 footer is averaging 15.2 PPG, 8.2 Rebounds a game, and 2.6 blocked shots a game. Cody is not to be confused with his brothers. Although Ty is a good player, Cody is far more skilled. He definitely has a chance to be the first center taken in the draft, as well as possibly being the first pick in the draft.

Alex Len, the sophmore 7'1" center from Maryland, has been quite a surprise this season. He had problems last season missing the first part of the season, and then being thrown into the fray cold, when everyone else was in tune and playing well. So it was hard to judge how good he could be. This season he's been playing extremely well. From europe, he's a very skilled big man. He's not a freak athlete, but he knows positioning, and has good timing defending the basket. His numbers are almost identical to Zellers. Averaging 15.6 PPG, 8.2 Rebounds per game, and 2.6 Blocks per game. Someone to keep your eye on as the season progresses.

Jeff Withey, the 7 footer from Kansas is having his best year so far. He was a very good defensive player last season, and so far, he's improved in that area even more. But his biggest improvement has come on the offensive side of the ball where he averaging 14.2 PPG, up from 9 PPG last season. He's also shooting 56.1% from the field. He's pulling down 8.7 rebounds a game, and a gaudy 6.2 Blocks a game. Against San Jose St. he blocked 12 shots. If he can continue at this pace, you'll be hearing his name alot come draft time.

Gorgui Dieng isn't going to blow anyone off the floor offensively, but I think he has a place in the NBA on the defensive side of the ball. He's a deceptively skilled big man, who I think is better suited at the PF position at the next level, although he has the athleticism and size to play center. He's averaging 8 rebounds, and 2 blocked shots a game. He's only averaging 8 PPG, but then he doesn't shoot the ball very much either. He's a very good passer for a big man averaging 2.4 assists a game, and on the defensive side, he's averaging 1.6 steals a game. He's a smart player that plays to his strengths.

Mason Plumlee, the 6'10" C/PF from Duke is having a great year. Plumlee is a deceptive athlete, who jumps higher than you think, moves quicker than you think, and is more skilled than you think. So far this season he's averaging 19.9 PPG, 11 RPG, and 1.7 Blocked shots per game. I was never sold on Plumlee, but this year he's making a believer out of me. He scores in a variety of ways around the basket with very decisive and quick moves. He's a fundamentally sound and very skilled player. He has the appearence of a slow white guy, but he's not. He's playing big minutes this year at 35 MPG, and Duke is heavily relying on him. He's another that I think is better suited for the PF position at the next level.

Ike Austin is one of those players that I'm not sold on. He likes to play away from the basket a little too much to suit me. And by away, I mean outside the three point circle. He's shooting a respectable 36.4% from there, and 53.6% overall, but there's something about a 7'1" player chucking up Three's that bothers me. He tends to shy away from contact around the basket, and despite his length, and athleticism, he's averaging less than half a blocked shot a game. His totals don't look bad, averaging 14.2 PPG, and 8.2 rebounds a game. I just don't like watching him play.

Finally, Steve Adams, the 7 footer out of New Zealand, and playing for Pittsburg is having a, just OK season so far. He's still adjusting to playing at the college level against the big boys. He is logging 20 minutes a game, but he's not scoring much, at 6.6 PPG, and his rebounding is just average at 4.6 boards a game. However, defensively he's been playing pretty well. He's averaging just under 2 blocked shots a game. He's a very good athlete, and has good size for the center position. I think by seasons end, he'll be more productive on the offensive side of the ball. Right now, he's a raw talent, but he is a talent. Probably a player that should stay for at least one more year of college.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Otto Porter:

Porter was an interesting prospect last year, his freshman year. He's another of those late bloomers that got into basketball later than most. Despite that, he has a very high basketball IQ. He's a very good athlete, but not a freak athlete. And he has excellent size for the SF position at 6'8" and with a 7'1" wingspan. He defenitly needs to add some muscle to his 205 Lb frame. Last season his weakness was his outside jumpshot where he shot only 22% from the three. But it appears he's worked on it in the offseason. If you throw out his first game where he played only 6 minutes, he averaged 38 minutes a game for the next three.

Those three were against UCLA, Indiana, and Mount St. Marys. In those three games he averaged 16.6 PPG, 9.6 RPG, 3 Blocks per game, 2 steals per game and 3.6 assists per game. He shot 61.2% overall, and a blistering 85% from the three. Now I certainly don't expect him to shoot those percentages all season, but it shows some of his potential, which is very high. He's a very unselfish player, and a very good passer. Offensively, his bread and butter is his midrange jumpshot, which he loves to take from the top of the key. Defensively, he's a hard worker and is pretty effective as a weakside help defender. He has a knack for being around the ball all the time.

His weakness is that, defensively he's raw, and has a lot to learn. Offensively, he has trouble creating his own shot at times, and some of that is due to his poor ballhandling. His ballhandling isn't terrible, but its not good enough for him to create effectively whenever he wants to. His other weakness is finishing at the basket in traffic. Most of this is due to his lack of muscle, and not having the ballhandling skills to be in traffic. Despite all this, he's a very good rebounder. He just seems to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time. I really like this kid, and I think his potential long term is through the roof. Short term, he has much to learn, but he appears to be a quick learner. He's definitely someone to keep your eye on as the season progresses.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
You have to be impressed with what Michael Carter-Williams is doing at Syracuse right now. The shooting hasn't come around yet, but he's doing everything else for that team not to mention leading the whole NCAA in assists.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You have to be impressed with what Michael Carter-Williams is doing at Syracuse right now. The shooting hasn't come around yet, but he's doing everything else for that team not to mention leading the whole NCAA in assists.
At the moment, MCW is on another planet. It will be interesting to see if he can sustain it for the entire season. He's been a big surpirse so far. I have to think his shooting will come around. He shot the ball well last year, averaging around 39% from the three, so maybe its just a matter of time. He has great size at 6'5".

Status
Not open for further replies.